cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

I must say I'm really disappointed in how Sprints handling this whole ICS release. What makes no since is why this release is taking so long to push out over the network . Sprint tell us why its taking so long ??? Customer support and technical support had their training for ICS two months ago. As usual its gotta be a game " ROLLING OUT ICS IN 2012 " LOL When in 2012 ???? I wanna make a few comments regarding ICS first of all Im not impressed by it I really don't see what the hype is all about  In regaurds to ICS, A few days ago I went to the Sprint store and looked at the Galaxy Nexus what an ugly phone !!! no style, feels cheep, its just a stripped down Photon with more memory and less bloatware the worst part of it is the camara,5 maga pixels you gotta be kidding me on top of that ICS runs sluggish its not smooth granted it could be the cheep processor they put in the Galaxy Nexus its not an Exynos processor. Im not crazy about the interface of ICS it feels cold and stripped down in my opion Gingerbread is still way better then ICS. The sad reality is the first Nexus was a flop and well this phone will be no diffrent. In my opion its a waste to upgrade to. In the comming months the I9300 or should I say the new Galaxy Slll will be out and well the Galaxy Nexus will be a thing of the past . I really beleave the Galaxy Slll will be out way before my Galaxy Sll ever see's ICS !!! I just wanna put this out their the new Galaxy Slll will have a quad core but in talking with a tech guru that works for Sprint he told me " we will never see a quad core on the Sprint network" only a daul core the reason he gave is that a quad core processor is not compatible with LTE which is the future of Sprints 4G network .   

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

frasiercrane - You are kidding, right! You wouldn't want Sprint to release ICS without it being fully tested on it's phones. You name another phone out there besides the Nexus that has been upgraded to ICS. It's coming, keep your pants on. In fact, this was just released yesterday: http://www.pcworld.com/article/254379/samsung_releases_ice_cream_sandwich_upgrade_list.html

Also your comment about Sprint not getting a quad core because the processor is not compatible with LTE has to be completely false. All carriers except for T-Mobile are or will be utilizing LTE. Even T-Mobile will most likely eventually move to LTE. Here is a snippet from Wikipedia:

"LTE is the natural upgrade path for carriers with GSM/UMTS networks, but even CDMA holdouts such as Verizon Wireless, who launched the first large-scale LTE network in North America in 2010,[4][5] and au by KDDI in Japan have announced they will migrate to LTE. LTE is, therefore, anticipated to become the first truly global mobile phone standard, although the use of different frequency bands in different countries will mean that only multi-band phones will be able to utilize LTE in all countries where it is supported."

I also highly doubt that the SIII will be out before your SII has ICS. Samsung hasn't even announced the SIII yet. They have only put up a countdown page.

Have patience and do your research!

Highlighted
Wizard

So yesterday's news...where's my Jelly Bean?

Kidding, of course!

Journeyman

Can you hurry up please!

Journeyman

Indeed you are right, comptechtchr.

Just be aware that ICS hasn't been made for the phones that it is being released on, and has to be adapted to them, frasiercrane6478. When Android is coded, it is done so on a Nexus device, which is why they get timely software updates. The drivers and hardware in these phones are made to run Android at it's best. Maybe you don't get the best hardware, or the best benchmarks, but you definitely get the best, stable mix of those things.

Yes, the Nexus has a 5MP camera, but keep in mind that it shoots in 1080p. Megapixels are merely the size of the image, not the quality.

As for an LTE compatible, quad-core device, it will happen sooner or later. The new Exynos chipset has LTE built in, instead of having a seperate radion; but just know that the technology is in the works. Currently, the Tegra 3 and LTE do not get along, which is why you won't see a quad-core One X stateside any time soon.

Journeyman

At this rate, by the time Google release Jellybean, we still havent gotten ICS. Still dont think it should take this long. Shouldent HTC tested this for the Evo 3d before it release it to sprint...... well we still got 1/2 a year to go.... its funny they made the anoucement back in 11/11, then they say first quater of 2012.

Journeyman

They have to perfect Sprint NFL and Nascar apps so you can get all the coverage! Without Sprint's apps the phone would be better, and they can't have that!

Journeyman

lilgeekygirl wrote:

"rpacheco120community, The reason the HTC Evo 4G is not getting ics is because there is not enough memory available in the phone to hold the upgrade."

Wait a minute.,, lets back up if this was even close to being true, why do people on XDA have ICS on their EVO4G's?

Maybe sprint personell should do their research before posting! I was told on my old Hero Froyo could not be updated since there was not enough space (by Sprint on these forums). Funny I went over to XDA, downloaded it and it worked flawlessly! I even sold it to someone that wanted a Hero with Froyo on it and he was a ex sprint employee via ebay.

The only real missing thing for the EVO 4G on ICS current builds is 4G, but XDA will figure it out, because sprint can't. They'd rather say it wonlt work, buy a new phone.

Journeyman

could Sprint be any more vague? this seems like the longest wait for an OS upgrade yet. i love HTC but nexus is sounding more and more the way to go to avoid the whole manufacturer and carrier latency.

Journeyman

This is so true. All phones are good for two updates and then considered outdated so you buy a new phone. The EVO has been done for awhile now.

Journeyman

So disappointed in the slowness of Android upgrades.

The GPS function has a bug on the current OS for Galaxy 2 and ICS apparently fixes that. What to do? Upgrade to Cyanogen Mod and risk voiding warranty? It's a dilemma between being a frustrated customer or a sensical self upgrader to fix problems the carrier ignores for months, possibly years into device obsolescence.

Journeyman

I have been a sprint customer for a very long time. i am currently using the epic touch 4 g s2. i love the phone but we were promised ICS upgrade in the first quarter. didnt happen of course. then the biggist disappointment was when my store just share with me that the epic 4g will not support 4g because of the wimax screw up. we were promised wimax 4 g in our area for years. now that this deal is dead and sprint is moveing towards lte. while i believe lte will be better. we were screwed; for the next 2 years until we can upgrade our devices to an lte device. we still pay 4g data rates with a rate increase. thanks sprint! push a christmas wimax device just to switch hands go lte.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat