cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

That post is already a week old and still no details...gotta love it...should tell sprint I'll pay my bill sometime in 2012

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Acer just upgraded 3 A100 Android tablets I purchased for my kids to 4.0.3 today. Not leaked builds. Installed an hour ago via wifi. What's up wih the Epic 4G?

Journeyman

What about the Admiral and the XPRT? When will they get ICS?

Sprint Employee

Truth be told Acer started rolling out ICS to A series tablets back in February. This was far less a task than brining ICS to the devices we carry because ICS was optimized for tablets from the start, and Acer has so few Android based devices that they could easily aim their focus on those few devices which mostly requires the same customizations. Now to contrast this with mobile phones like the Epic for instance would need to have ICS optimized for a mobile phone, touch wiz and other proprietary Samsung applications would have to be rewritten for ICS, new drivers developed for the Wimax & EVDO radios, and probably much more that goes on behind the scenes that we are not made aware of. So far no announcement has been made that ICS will be developed for the Epic.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Is there any news about when the Epic 4G Touch will get it?

Sprint Employee

As of now we are only allowed to say that it will be sometime this year, I hope for official announcements that will be more specific and offer a date in the near future.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Good info. Thanks.

Journeyman

I am thinking they did so poorly on EVO 3D sales compared to EVO 4G that they definitely won't release it until the EVO 4G LTE is released. Sprint and HTC have a lot riding on this phone so they won't release ICS like they did gingerbread (right before the EVO 3D came out. But if Sprint wants to sell a lot of EVO 4G LTE's, they should allow EVO 3D owners to buy it for new contract price.

Master

MATDUP17 wrote:

I am thinking they did so poorly on EVO 3D sales compared to EVO 4G that they definitely won't release it until the EVO 4G LTE is released. Sprint and HTC have a lot riding on this phone so they won't release ICS like they did gingerbread (right before the EVO 3D came out. But if Sprint wants to sell a lot of EVO 4G LTE's, they should allow EVO 3D owners to buy it for new contract price.

This kind of thing gets posted all of hte time. However, despite the claims otherwise, there is no conspiracy from Sprint to withold software updates pending new device launches. I can't say whetehr or not the manufacturers delay updates by focusing on new product launches first since I don't know how exactly they operate. Sprint however, does not delay updates until new phones are launched. As soon as a stable enough build is provided by the manufacturer and passes Sprint's testing, it is released to the devices. Then work begins on the next update, until a phone is no longer supported. Even phones have have gone EOL (end of life) can still get software updates depending on the severity of the issues the update would fix.

Journeyman

I'm in Mesa AZ. Yesterday I took my phone in to the nearest corporate Sprint store due to some weird behavior my phone was displaying (which turned out to be a dying battery). When I told the rep my phone was doing weird things, her first response was "oh was it the update?". So, that might mean it's imminent, and that also might mean there have been problems...and of course it might mean nothing at all

Journeyman

Wow, now you've dropped First Half, Early, and the HTC devices from your announcements? I know HTC will do the update. But WOW. All the same. Glad I'm grabbing the LTE phone.

Wizard

This was a Samsung announcement that I posted here for folks to be aware of...this is all the info available at this time.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat