cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Sprint will begin to roll out Google's latest version of Android™, Ice Cream Sandwich, to our customers in 2012. Ice Cream Sandwich will be available via an over-the-air update to a variety of devices including Galaxy™ S II, Epic™ 4G Touch and Nexus S™ and other key products in our line-up. Stay tuned for more details and exact timing.

- announced today in Sprint News blog

170 REPLIES 170
Highlighted
Journeyman

This post means nothing. 31 december is also 2012. Why cant spint be a bit more open and let us know how much longer it might take? I think sprint does not take us serious.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello zivojan, dshoem01 was kind enough to let us in on announcements which they were allowed to release to help reassure some users that Icecream Sandwich is in their future. I feel we would all appreciate more information, but if it has not been made available how can it be announced? Software development takes time, and does not necessarily have a due date.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

They could tell more about the progress. 2012 means nothing. There are some leaked builds already. They could say we expect it to be first quarter. Or they are testing the final build right now.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I too feel that information would be comforting, but unfortunately this is all of the information that may be shared at this time. I do understand that there are some ROMS out there that have been published by third parties, installing them can open you to a host of vulnerabilities, I personally will be waiting for the real deal from the manufacturer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Only problem with all the hoopla and the whole thing about waiting for a stable build is crap when several phone companies, sprint included already have phones on the market with ICS. If the build was unstable how do they have a dozen phones out already with it. I think whoever it was that posted that they are waiting for all the new phones to hit the market hoping we upgrade to a new phone and signing another 2 year contract, well my contract is up in November and the next one I sign won't be with sprint. Service sucks and is getting worse by the day and data gets slower and slower. Not seeing any reason to stay.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

So far the only phones that we have seen ICS pushed to are Nexus S and Galaxy nexus, these phones did not require customization like we will see in HTC, or samsung's non Nexus phones. I have no doubt that they are diligently working on getting ICS ported to other models now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lots of chatter out there indicates Sprint IS working hard to get these OTA releases out. Patience is in order, because they want the release to be solid. Imagine the mayhem if any release happened to be glitchy. I want the OTA as bad as anyone else, but I feel pretty confident many phones will see one in the next couple months.

I was the first poster to complain about the vague timeframe given, but I'm not complaining now. I know there is a priority placed on getting this done.

As for other phones already having it, yeah it's frustrating. But I guess it's also cool that we have many choices to make regarding phones. Imagine a world where it was all about one brand, one phone. No offense to Appleheads.

Hang in there. I posted this as much to remind myself as to rant to the rest of you. Flame me in a couple months if I'm deserving

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to Samsung (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755) the update has been successfully pushed to Nexus S 4G (SPH-d720).  Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (SPH-d710) is going to be next.  During the interview (http://phandroid.com/2012/05/09/sprint-exec-confirms-htc-evo-3d-ice-cream-sandwich-update-rolling-ou..., around the 6:30 mark), Sprint’s VP of Product David Owens let slip that June will be the lucky month Sprint intends to rollout Ice Cream Sandwich onto the EVO 3D.  Given this, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch will probably be updated by mid-June before the upgrade is pushed through to EVO 3D.  Up to another 4 weeks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually the Android version has nothing at all to do with rooting, the only reason that some phones are more difficult than others in this regrd is the bootloader. Depending on the phone, updating the os May also update the bootloader thus making it easier or more difficult to gain root. It just depends. But again that has absolutely nothing at all to do with what flavor of Android you happen to be running.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not that quad cores are incompatible with Sprint, it's that the Qualcomm Snapdragon does not yet have a quad yet and Nvidia's Tegra 3 SOC which is what the international version of the S3 is running doesn't support LTE. So that's the reason for having a dually as opposed to a quad in the Sprint branded S3. Not to worry though, Qualcomm has started fab on their quad SOC. Won't be much longer and Sprint will be screaming along with the rest of the world. 🙂

Journeyman

Not true, the Virgin Mobile rebranded HTC Evo 3D is being launched on May 31 with ICS 4.0.3 and Sense 3.6. Why would your prepaid division release it first? Crash test dummies perhaps?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have put a sticker on my Galaxy S2: Android 4.0.3. so far so good, I did'nt even need to reboot.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat