cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

:: Shakes hand ::

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

I can't believe everyone is acting this way. As was stated before, and I agree with this 100%, is all of this trouble worth the $200 dollar pricetag just for ICS? I mean, it's quite obvious that everyone wants ICS but it sounds like people need to grow a pair and just suck it up. If you use your phone as much as you make it sound like you do, then just be happy with the service you are getting. I mean the network may not be the fastest, but for the price we pay for an "unlimited data plan" it's great. I hated AT&T when I used them, and I know the majority of the other carriers implement this as well, because of the "2 or 4gb data plan" you had to choose from. I use my network an aweful lot so if I have to make a small sacrifice for speed in the network for as much data usage as I want I am ok with that. You people need to stop looking at the dark side of things and actually think about the pros you are getting from the company.

It was also stated previously that if you want ICS so bad, then go and install it on your phone from the xda-developers forum board. They've got their hands on it pretty well. Patience young padawan(s). It will get here when it gets here. Atleast it's even coming to Sprint. There's something to be excited about.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Thanks Tom1069,

If anything Sprint is looking at all of these people as a road bump because instead of focusing on the release itself, they have to deal with everyones b****ing. I don't mean to be vulgar but c'mon. Cut them some slack, they are trying. Quit looking for an excuse to leave. I mean, posting an entire chat with someone you talked to? You're only showing your impatience. Don't get mad at the messenger. Sorry, I just needed to vent all that after reading these posts lol

Journeyman

Oh wait ... Sprint doesn't honor contracts, actually.  They change prices even while IN a contract, and it has happened to me several times over the years.  The contract only binds you.  It doesn't bind Sprint at all.

As for the Samsung SII Epic Touch, which I've had for almost a year ... it is a ugly mix of comprimises.  The GPS is unreliable, although I've just learned when I have to re-start the phone, or re-set the AGPS.  Emailing Samsung about the problem will just have them email back with nonsense that insults your intelligence.  There is probably not going to be an upgrade to the operating system, and, yes, that was promised NOT by the clueless store sales reps, but by Sprint on this very website when the phone was first introduced.  So, yes, Sprint lied about that. 

Lots of problems with this phone, essentially no quality assurrance testing.  But, hey, now you can get it for 99 cents ... perhaps it is even worth that!

Journeyman

HaHaHaHaHa!  Good one Sprint.  April announcement about 'Sprint will roll out ICS in 2012.' ... whew ... holding sides.  Well that was a good one.  It's now mid-July, and still no ICS ...  but they really got us.  almost a Rick Roll!

Journeyman

So, I've been on this ride a number of times -- from Windows Mobile 5 to 6 to 6.5 and from Android Frozen Yogurt to Gingerbread.  No matter how many posts are made complaining about the lack of information about ICS, Sprint won't issue any statements until they want to,  Sadly the update thrill won't last long and soon we'll want something newer.  HTC Evo 4G users are already asking about Jelly Bean!

Highlighted
Journeyman

If anything Sprint is looking at all of these people as a road bump because instead of focusing on the release itself, they have to deal with everyones b****ing.

CSR and Customer Relations has nothing to do with development and R&D. Sprint isn't a few guys manning the phones while writing code. You could chain-call the call center in India, send 1000s of form letters to the reps, chat all day, and the developers wouldn't even know you existed.

The ICS release for the SII is not out because Sprint chose to keep some parts of the system very proprietary and very closed. Which is their right. It's also not out because Sprint has its phones loaded with bloatware and other crud that needs to be adapted to ICS. Some of that bloatware competes with native abilities in ICS and Sprint needs to make sure their (for-pay) bloat is taken over the (free) ICS versions, so there's more coding.

Samsung made the full source code for ICS on the CDMA SII (aside from the proprietary part, some of which is TouchWiz, some of which is Sprint's proprietary stuff) available to channels like phone companies the same day to everyone. From Europe to USA to Asia to Africa. We're quite literally one of the last to see it with, this is my bet, a chance not to see it at all until about mid-October. At which point every other phone of the SIIs generation has vendor supported Jelly Bean on it.

Journeyman

On Android central they have a leaked memo about ota update starting  july 12-20....but who can believe anything anymore

Sprint Employee

Truthfully, I would wait until you see it here. Sometimes plans change, and a memo like that could be rescinded if it were legitimate.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

here is the link, guess will should all find out in the next few days if this is bs or not. Never known these guys to report something that was not right but you decide. http://www.talkandroid.com/121475-leaked-document-highlights-sprints-epic-4g-touch-smartphone-due-to...

Journeyman

I have a wait and see approach.  SG2 isn't getting ics until I see the notification for a software update on my phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat