cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Could have sworn I told it I would "Install later" each time.  Wish I had known I would have to wait weeks if I didn't stop and do it.  No way to know it would be much MUCH later!!!  Frustrating with no additional communication.  Thanks.  Is the update coming from Samsung or from Sprint?  So, what I'm thinking is, will it do any good to go to a Sprint store?

Sprint Employee

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Some service centers may have the update, I would suggest calling ahead to make sure they have a tech on duty, and that the software update can be applied. I will check with a few people to post back on the subject.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

How about when i never got the update no mesege saying anything its like the forgot about my phone I check and nothing the UPDATE FIRMWARE AND THE UPDATE ANDROID  does nothing it keep saying software up to date....   its frustrating that they say they are going to send it over the air to all the phones and then only a few get it... At least they should have let us download it from sprint website or from the samsung website like i did on the original epic 4g

Journeyman

Reply to all.  I was one of the whiners I must admit.  We bought the phone and no one promised me an update.  After many months of hand wringing, I have the update, It is phenomenal.  Sprint Customer Service was always polite, apologetic and spent lots of time trying to help me.  I have no trouble with battery life.  The face unlocking is a neat tool.  I love the new look and it is completely customizable if for some reason you don't like it.  It's basically a new phone.  I couldn't be happier.  Good luck to all of you that still seem to be having trouble.  I would recommend backing up fully, including *.apk files to your SD card.  Try "My Backup" from Play Store.  It's free.  Do a factory reset before receiving and if possible have connection with wireless.  Update took a matter of minutes.  I re-downloaded my purchased apps and because I had backed up my games were right where I left off.  I have seen the question many times so I'll answer it.  The OTA update comes from Sprint, not Samsung.  Keep in mind these CSRs are all in American cities and would love to help you, but biggest problem has been misinformation, assumptions and not very good training from higher management in the Sprint Organization, so please don't take out your frustrations on these poor CSRs.  Once again, best of luck and I found repeated calls with a nice attitude do wonders. Hope you get to enjoy your free perk soon.

Take care y'all.

Jonathan

Norfolk, VA

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I have confirmed that the Service & repair centers do have the update available, and can flash it for your if you missed the OTA update, have not yet been notified of the OTA update, or have had trouble after updating, and have already completed a factory restore. since the update is still being rolled out I would imagine that update on demand OTA will be made available at the end of the roll out of OTA pushes.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I still havent got the update yet... im still waiting...

Journeyman

DON'T bother to update your phone from GB 2.3.6 to ICS 4.0.4 unless you want lots of headaches. Mine got updated about 5 days ago and it was a nightmare. So, many things were messed up on my phone and I've read MANY reviews about others having the same issues. Please wait till they come out with 4.0.5 or 4.1 because ICS is bugging on the Galaxy Sii. I just took mine back today to GB 2.3.6 and am so much happier with it, and my battery life is GREAT again. Among other things. The only problem is that SPRINT wants to keep pushing the ICS update out to my phone.....STOP IT! I don't want that crappy stupid software. And YES, i did do all the stuff that was recommended like Factory Reboot. Fix a few minor things, but the major bugs stilled remained. It was a total headache to have to reinstall alot of my software. So, so lucky my 2 year contract is not up yet!!!

Journeyman

They are not BSing you.....the update is a piece of you know what. Just read all the reviews out there about ALL the trouble people are having with their Galaxy Sii phones....me included. Wait till they come out with a STABLE update.

Journeyman

how do u take it back to GB? I would like to do that because this release has been a nightmare!

Journeyman

I'd like to know the same thing.....I took mine up to the Sprint store to get it updated bc I heard the ota was bad well it was all down hill from there my phone constantly was crashing and freezing and errors so I took it back up there and the tech was like oh its bc you downloaded the ota it needs to be plugged in to our computers and updated and I told him they did it! Well he said he did it right this time but it seems the same and my battery lasts 4 hours if I don't use it!! I have to charge my phone 3 times a day!!

Journeyman

I just rooted after I manually updated to ICS 4.0.4, then modded it to Universe v1.4. A lot better now, and has S-Voice!

Journeyman

I'm going to be direct with the lot of you here, simply because you're playing a blame game at this point and should just have the facts so you know how to recieve the update in a stable manner.

Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwhich are not only two different versions of Android, but two different operating systems. To be honest, the politics of Android system updates have gotten very out of hand as of late and one thing you all need to understand is that there is no way this process will go over smoothly simply because you are running an OS on a device that was created before this OS even existed and specifically to run another OS. This presents many hardware challenges, as well as driver, software, bootloader, and overlay difficulties. Either way you shake it, there is no way that everyone will be happy. Don't consider it something so easy. These things take forever to rollout to you for a reason. That reason being that millions of people can have that one device, and an update with one bad line of code can render it useless for all of them.

The first step in recieving and applying one of these updates is to do so over wifi. Cellular data, 4G or not, is no consistent medium to update the system files on your device, and I'm not sure why this isn't made more direct. I also have my phone plugged up during this process. The other side of recieving an OS update is to back everything up, and wipe your device and then install the update. People will complain about this all day, but at the end of it all, only a factory data reset is going to ensure you have no remnants left behind from the previous software that will interfere with the new OS. This goes back to backing everything up on a regular basis. Your applications are on the Play Store, and related to your Google account, but their data is not. Your pictures, contacts, call logs and text messages should all be stored to some cloud service simply because this data belongs to you and therefore you are responsible for it.

Either way you look at it, people are going to want convenience and to not do these things before an update is dropped, but if you've fought this hard and pounded away on your keyboard to let the forums know how important this software is to you, then honestly, the least you can do is to perform the update properly.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat