cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Sprint will begin to roll out Google's latest version of Android™, Ice Cream Sandwich, to our customers in 2012. Ice Cream Sandwich will be available via an over-the-air update to a variety of devices including Galaxy™ S II, Epic™ 4G Touch and Nexus S™ and other key products in our line-up. Stay tuned for more details and exact timing.

- announced today in Sprint News blog

170 REPLIES 170
Highlighted
Journeyman

End of July - beginning of August, my friend

Highlighted
Journeyman

I suspect you've seen this video where a Sprint VP states the Evo 3D ICS update will be released in June?

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/09/sprint-exec-confirms-htc-evo-3d-ice-cream-sandwich-update-rolling-ou...

I chatted with Sprint Customer Service yesterday and they had no information that the Evo 3D would be getting ICS at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is waiting for it's Ics devices to launch so customers can upgrade. How different are the Galaxy S2 carrier versions.

http://m.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-on-att-gets-android-4-0/?icid=eng_latest_art As you can see Sprint is the last carrier to upgrade Galaxy S2 to Ics.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you want ICS that bad then go to XDA and load it on your phone! Takes about 5min to do. Easy instructions and works flawlessly. A monkey can do it.

Wouldn't you rather have sprint get it right and not release a piece of garbage! ICS is really not a big deal. I don't really notice any difference on my SPH-D710 with ICS. I keep seeing posts that people are going to pay the 200 bucks to cancel due to not getting ICS. It really is not worth 200 bucks! Be patient grasshopper!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well said SoxFan1. There are even a couple things about ICS that I like *less*, like the Google search bar on top of every home screen. But the few big positives *for me* are home screen folders, scrolling task switcher, and browser vertical scroll lock; it's not an overwhelming list.

If you object to rooting and flashing your phone because it voids any warranty you may have, what's the difference between that and paying hundreds of dollars to switch. Plus, if you're careful you won't be disappointed, and it doesn't have to void a warranty.

Re-read the title of this forum discussion. "Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012"

It's only June

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have an HTC EVO 3D and like my phone.  I was told 2 months ago by Sprint's CS that my phone "will be eligible for the update."  However, CS was very vague about when this was going to occur.  Moreover, I was told that ICS was NOT the same as Android, but "better."  ????   Another huge corporation vs. it's little customers?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are we to assume that Sprint's VP is given to falsehoods?  I'm rethinking my options.  Was a Verizon Wireless customer for over 10 years and finally got sick of empty promises and lousy customer service.  Paid my early termination fee and left. 

Here we go again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

TBug309 wrote:

Are we to assume that Sprint's VP is given to falsehoods?  I'm rethinking my options.  Was a Verizon Wireless customer for over 10 years and finally got sick of empty promises and lousy customer service.  Paid my early termination fee and left. 

Here we go again.

It will be the same with any company when it comes to this kind of things.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just called Customer Service (Sprint) last week regarding another issue.  While on the phone, I asked about ICS and was told by your rep that it would be out around the end of July and would be available for my HTC EVO 3D phone. 

???

Highlighted
Journeyman

All I can tell you is that this has been an ongoing angst filled issue since December. I bought the Galaxy II because they convinced me that ICS would rollout within 2 months. For months I was told by Sprint it would be just weeks now..OR "sorry we have no idea whats going on with ICS". We are about to start JULY. Thats seven months. I spoke to 2 Samsung reps . One said its Google who is stalling on the rollout. The other said that Sprint is sitting on the promised rollout. Sprint still tells me "we have no idea" or "the developers are 'still developing' ". They have all lied to me for six months and no one knows anything.   "we are sorry for your inconvenience" . they tried to tell me that the delay was because the Sprint system wasn't ready to handle ICS. Strange that they are selling ICS phones as we speak.  Everyone in the blogs seem to know whats happening but SAMSUNG and SPRINT plead the fifth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I get the feeling that the Sprint S3 might get upgraded to jelly bean in 2014.  ICS came out 9 months ago and every other flavor S2 has it by now.  Way to be awesome, Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, here is what I got from Sprint today regarding EVO 3D ICS Update -

Janice I.: While I access your account information, can you please provide more details about why you?re chatting with us today?  

Customer: I bought my phone 6 months ago, I was told by both Sprint and HTC that ICS would be available for this phone in a couple of months, here it is 6 months later and still no update  

Janice I.: Thank you for sharing additional details. Please give me a moment while I research that for you.  

Janice I.: Thank you for waiting.  

Janice I.: I have checked the details for you and ICS update are not available yet.  

Janice I.: It will be available soon and once it will be available you would get an automated notification to update the phone.  

Customer: I understand that, but also there is no date, and users have been told over and over again it's coming. So when is it coming  

Customer: ?  

Janice I.: I do apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.  

Janice I.: I understand. However, I would be unable to provide you any specific date.  

Customer: Then who can? Again both Sprint and HTC reps in the store said a couple of months, a couple is 2-3, not 6-7.  

Customer: I never would have bought the phone if the wait was going to be this long  

Janice I.: I understand that. However, sometimes the update are delayed due to some errors. It is possible there would be any latency due to which the ICS is not available yet.  

Janice I.: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.  

Customer: Everyother EVO 3D in world has it now, except Sprint..........  

Janice I.: Sprint is working on this and it will be available as early as possible. 

I also did the Survey, first question was overall satisfaction, I checked "Very Dissatisfied".

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat