cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Couldn't have expressed it better myself. A good number of us may buy the SIII for the 2gb ram, because ICS has been on our devices for some time, but yes, our culture dictates we must keep up with or usurp the Joneses. Of course, once everyone gets their hands on one here in the states, they'll start wondering why we can't have the quad core (yet?). We really can't blame corporations for their actions, when as a people, our predictable impatience drives the market.

Read somewhere there's nine million handsets on order by the carriers. Will be fun to see how well they move off the shelves. A lot of people clamored for the Facebook IPO too, as I recall..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

So it is now 6/11 and still no OTA update?? Has anyone else got it on the Galaxy SII?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No I sure haven't. 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got one myself betting that Samsung and Sprint stay true to their word.  I have called sprint over the past few days. once a day to talk to customer service and tech support and they have no release date to communicate to the customer yet.  They can't even confirm we are getting it when I ask the phone reps.  When I called Samsung this past Sunday they said the phone will get the update but no release date yet.  I made sure to tell ALL of them T-Mobile is getting theirs tonight!!!!  So sprint what is the deal are you just waiting to roll out the GS3 already shipped with ICS and just forget about all of your S2 users?  I can see how it would make business sense to make your customers keep buy your the next big thing, but the hardware is more than capable of running the update wouldn't you want all of you devices to have the latest updates just like our computers? 

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

At this time the call centers have not been given announcements official to which devices, or when these devices will receive the ICS update. At this time I would accept that the Samsung models listed above, and the HTC models listed in HTC america's facebook as close to set in stone as wireless can be. The Buzztechs here at community.sprint.com have not been informed of why the release has not been made yet, or when the software update will be made available.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's all Sprint waiting for their new flagship phones that have ICS to debut 1st. How else do you explain the HTC Evo V 4g having Ics which is pretty much the Evo 3d rebranded and spec down a bit. I have seen rooted Evo 4g with Ics along with SG2 running them flawlessly. When my contact is up I'm going with Verizon at least I know i will have service three majority of places I go. What use is unlimited data if you can't connect to the internet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is a major culprit in the "fragmentation" that was so badly ridiculed at WWDC this year. Of course it's not them alone but from a provider that prides itself to be a cut above the others in the United States I'd expect not only pressure on manufacturers but also to lay off the "upgrade OS through device upgrades" policy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok sprint, your competitor T-MOBILE is rolling out ics for the galaxy s2 tonight... What in the hell is your excuse now? Because it'snot stable? That's what you have been saying. I'm saying is all BS. since xda helped you work on your version a couple Weeks ago and even they are saying you got it but are just sitting on it. I get it's two things, your asses want to pile on the crap sprint apps and you want us to upgrade to one of the new phones before you roll it out to the rest of us. You got 2 months and i'm booking it to Verizon and your can kiss my butt

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really appreciate the fact you let us know but it has been a long time i bought a samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g touch for the android 4.0 because the forum mentioned we would recieve it.  I would buy a galaxy s3 but your network won't support 4g lte in california for who knows how long yea this is disappointing if it were not for the unlimited data plan i and the 4g wimax in my area i would not have gone with sprint.

HOWEVER as soon as they recieve a wide network of LTE 4g that will solve most of my problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for giving us as much information as you are able to give.  I think we all wish it were more specific on dates, but that's not your fault.  For the record, being a Linux user, I know how difficult tailoring an OS to your device can be.  This is made doubly an issue when a particular revision of a device (e.g. Epic 4G Touch) differs so widely in hardware from the rest of the family of products.  I'm excited to get the ICS OTA... eventually.  It's a shame when people feel it necessary to vent the kind of venom I've seen on these forums in a direction it has no business being aimed.

By the way...  Any idea yet? 😛

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Loganthewolf, up to this point no timeline has been announced, we are not allowed to speculate on dates, and will usually will announce release within a few days of having a successfully tested release candidate. I'm looking forward to getting ICS too.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024: I just want to clarify to you that I'm not begging for ICS because I'm simply one of those "got to have it" impatient people that needs to have the latest and greatest.  I'm not begging at all really.  I'm pissed off because Spring and Samsung together (together) have ruined my phone.  It was working perfectly until January when you updated it to some stupid bs OTA update that killed off some important services, like network location and GPS.  I wouldn't give a flying f if it was the ICS update that fixed it or some other OTA update.  But at this point, since it's obvious Sprint could care less about making my device work as it was sold to me, my only hope is the big ICS update which should have come 3 months ago.

I'm not saying "get me my ICS because I want", I'm saying "get me the f'ing update (ICS) that should fix my Galaxy S2."

ps.  an email to dan@sprint.com did jack squat.  T-Mobile is looking more and more like the place to go for updates that have any sense of the word time.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat