cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid question on Exclaim music feature

Patron -11
Patron

Stupid question on Exclaim music feature

I got an Exclaim the other day.  When I had the default 512-MB MicroSD card in there, with a few MP3 files, I was able to go into Entertainment > Music with little delay and no prompts.

Then I bought and inserted a 4-GB MicroSD card and added ~400 MP3 files to it.  Now, when I select Entertainment > Music, the Music Store "Loading..." screen stays up for ~30 seconds.

1. Is that delay normal?  I assume it's because of the number of files I have on the new card but man...  30 seconds?

Then, I get prompted to "Reconcile".  If I select "Yes", there is a ~20-second delay before it does anything.  Then, after that delay, it shows that it's scanning for music files.

2. Is that ~20-second delay normal?  I can't see why telling it to "Yes, reconcile" would take that much time.  The actual file scanning, yes, but...  Why would there be a delay before even starting to scan for files?

3. Is it normal to get the "Reconcile" prompt every time the music feature is started?  With the 512-MB card inserted, I never got this prompt, even when I had some MP3 files on it.  I don't understand why this type of prompt would be based on how many files were currently present.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Stupid question on Exclaim music feature

Yes, that delay is unfortunatly pretty common. The more songs you load the slower it gets. I don't know of any way to fix it other than to scale down the number of songs you load at a time.

Patron -11
Patron

OK, thank you, but why would I get a "Reconcile" prompt every time I start it, whereas I didn't when I had fewer files?  I'm not so concerned really about the "why" as I am knowing it's expected behavior.  It makes no sense to me.

Wizard

That's a good question. I don't think it's intentional but for some reason it must be detecting a change in the play list. Maybe its just too many songs for it.

Patron -11
Patron

Thanks.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could see if this happens on their Exclaim.  (I'm referring to being prompted to "Reconcile" every time the music player is loaded.)

This happens on my phone with a 4-GB card and ~410 songs in place.

The reason I care is that whether I respond Yes or No to the "Reconcile" prompt, there's an annoying delay, on top of the ~30-second "Java" delay I've already put up with at that point.

Of course I don't expect anyone to do this for me, but I would appreciate it.  If I ask someone at Sprint, they'll of course just tell me it's normal.

Journeyman

I only have a 2 gig sd card but I have 370 songs on it.   I get the same 20 sec Java delay which is a given.  It takes mine less than 10 seconds to scan/reconcile/save data.  I do not get a prompt asking if I want to reconcile but after scanning for music it does say reconciling on its own.  I am curious now, maybe it is not the number of songs but the amount of memory it has to scan/reconcile as we have nearly the same number of songs but you have twice the space.

Are you running the latest firmware version?I have CG21.  I am just covering all the bases.

Patron -11
Patron

It's telling me that no firmware updates are available, so it must be the latest firmware.

Again, it makes no sense to me why I'd constantly be prompted to reconcile.  I'll reconcile when I want to or know I need to.

I reinserted the 512-MB card with ~50 files on it.  The initial load screen was much quicker.  And the first time I loaded the player, I did get the reconcile screen.  After that, no reconcile screen.

I then put the 4-GB card in.  Again, a reconcile screen every time.  And the weird thing is that even if I say "No", I get a "scanning for music" screen, and at the completion of that, it says it's reconciling.  How nice.

Patron -11
Patron

If I'm in the player and select Menu > Version, it shows "3.0.51 : 196659".

Now after choosing "Yes" on the Reconcile screen, I get sent directly to a screen saying "Cancel scan for music".  It sits there until I press the Menu/OK button.

Oh wait, no--it did that 3 or 4 times.  Just now, I went into the player and for once, it didn't show the reconcile screen at all.  I'm sure it'll start showing it again if I go back in.

This is ridiculous.  I'm beginning to despise this phone.  I'm going to take it to a Sprint store, put this 4-GB card in the display Exclaim they have there, and see how it behaves.

Journeyman

You should check the class number on your sd micro. The lower the number the slower refresh rate. I usually us a 6 minimum, it costs a little more but it is faster.Most of the cheaper sd micro cards are class 2 or 4. Also check the class rate of the card that came with the phone for comparison.

Patron -11
Patron

I've noticed that if I just wait (without pressing anything) when the reconcile screen appears, it will automatically do it.  Actually I don't really have a choice; it automatically reconciles and because it's slow, the prompt is merely hanging on screen.  You're not "supposed" to even see it.

My MicroSD card has a circled "2" in the upper/right corner.  I believe that's the speed rating, which means I got a real piece of junk.  No wonder it was only $18 at "Best Buy".  To anyone reading this who, like me, had no idea there were speed ratings, do what DeNiro advises in the movie "Awakenings"...  L-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-llll-l-lll-learn f-f-from m-m-me!"

The factory 512-MB MicroSD card has no speed rating printed on it.

I just ordered an 8-GB MicroSD card with a speed rating of 6 from Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183244

Even with shipping, this card will cost around the same as what I paid for a 4-GB class 2 card at "Best Buy".  And that card was "on sale".

Patron -11
Patron

I finally received the new 8-GB, class 6 card today.  I copied the exact files and folder structure over from the old card.  It doesn't seem the slightest bit faster.

Oh well.  At least it's bigger.

Edit: Actually, the initial screen--the one with the Java logo--is much quicker with the new card.  But nothing else is quicker.  And now, every time I load the music player, it reconciles automatically (and it's hard to know that it does so automatically, since there is a ~1-minute delay before it seems to do anything), and displays a message to the effect that it's updating "file 10 of 11".  It does this every single time I load the player.  This makes no sense to me.  Nothing has changed, so what 11 files are we talking about?

Patron

I have had my Exclaim for a few months. I use an 8GB card, and have all the delays listed above, but I also have a 20 sec wait between songs. Is anyone else experiencing this too? I have loaded some MP4 video files that I can watch when I have time. They load and switch faster just through the media player that is on there. Im sure the music would play faster also, but have not tried. I access them through the mass storage setting.

Also, If I am listening to music and a text comes in, it will make the music play quieter until I manually change the song by skipping. Anyone else with this issue either?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat