cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message read receipt Galaxy S 8

Go to solution
Journeyman

Text message read receipt Galaxy S 8

How do you change your message app settings to show you read receipts when those you text read the message? I found a tutorial on AT&T's website that says to go to message app and choose the top right drop down option and choose settings -> then advance settings that should be right above the font option. It isn't there. Does Sprint not have that feature?

13 REPLIES 13
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Text message read receipt Galaxy S 8

Hi @jenniferh!

I'm a Sprint employee and Product Ambassador for the Galaxy S8/S8+, so I'm here to help (hopefully).

One of the great benefits of being a Sprint customer is you can take advantage of the partnership we have with Google as the first major US carrier to enable RCS messaging. RCS messaging is a very feature-rich messaging platform that gives our customers several fun ways to communicate which goes above and beyond that of normal SMS / text messaging, such as sending read receipts.

There's just one small catch: The native Samsung Messaging app doesn't support all of the features of RCS messaging...yet. We're working toward full integration. But until then...

So while some carriers have implemented bits and pieces of RCS messaging, only Sprint has integrated fully with the Google RCS messaging platform (on the back-end). In order for our Galaxy S8/S8+ customers to take full advantage of the Google RCS messaging platform you need to download, install and use the official Android Messages app from the Google Play App Market.

During setup you can specify options like sending read receipts. There are myriad other options to play with so have some fun with it. I use Android Messages as my default SMS / messaging app and find it's features and layout better than the stock Samsung Messages app. 

Thanks for being a Sprint customer! 

Catch you online,

~Ninja CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Thanks for the info!

Highlighted
Journeyman

So the only way to get read receipt is if you download the app ? we can't get it without the app ??

Sprint Social Care

May__

Yes, as of right now, that's the only way.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

My Wifes S8 plus has this option when we downloaded Android Messages but my S8 plus does not. I have factory reset twice and ordered a new sim card and still cannot get past the screen that enables this.

Journeyman

See https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-8/Samnsung-Galaxy-S8-Enhanced-Messaging/td-p/95646...

I've been waiting for enhanced messaging since I bought these phones. We had it on our Note 4's and like I said it is enabled on my wifes purple S8 plus, but my black S8 plus never completes the enhanced messaging screen..

The Messages app that comes on the phone doesn't have any enhanced messaging that we can tell.

Journeyman

Hi,

Both my friend and I are both Note 8 users. When we message between each other, we cannot not see if the other has read the message (we both have stock messaging apps), however my friends mother has the S8 and when my friend messages her mother, my friend (note 8 user) has a read receipt with her mother reads the message. All three of us have stock messaging apps. Can you explain why my friend is able to see that her mother read her messages but messages between my friend and I doesnt. additionally I think its important to note that all three of us use sprint as well. Also why does t-mobile and verizon user have this option on there stock messaging apps but sprint is forcing us to download a third party android messenger?

Journeyman

I figured it out, on the note 8, in the chat setting you have to have rcs turned on in order to see when the person in typing, when the message delivered and read. This is in the stock messaging app. So happy, I was so upset with samsung for removing the enhanced messaging feature, but I see they didn't they just changed the name lol
Journeyman

If you have a Galaxy S8 heres the short answer:

Go to: Settings>Apps>Messages>More Settings>Chat Settings> Make sure "Rich Communication Settings" is switched on>Change "Default Messaging Type" to 'Chat'>Switch on Reading Confirmation.

Journeyman

For Galaxy S8 here's the short answer:

Go to: Settings >Apps >Messaging >More Settings> Chat Settings > Switch on Rich Comm Settings > Change "default messaging type" to "chat" > Switch on Reading Confirmation

Journeyman

What do you know about this message I keep getting on my samsung note 8 

Says "new messaging features" tap here to register the features, then states rich communication includes new features you can use to send and recieve chat messages picutres videos and sounds as well as text messages, using your internet connection. you will recieve a code via text message for verifing your phone number ..and then I click start and never sends the code

Whats up this ..its becoming more annoying then anything since it pops up all the time

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat