cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two issues since downloading an update on 8/23/17 - Enhanced messaging popup and predictive text

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two issues since downloading an update on 8/23/17 - Enhanced messaging popup and predictive text

My Galaxy S8 downloaded an update yesterday which has resulted in two issues:

1. The enhanced messaging notification keeps appearing when opening the messaging app - it appears this is a known issue and a fix is in the works?

2. The predictive text bar that would appear on top of the keyboard NO LONGER APPEARS when typing into apps that include but are not limited to: the google app search bar, google search bar in the web browser, gmail (when searching for emails), facebook searching, basically a number of apps with a general search function no longer have a predictive text bar that would appear above the keyboard anymore when typing. Predictive text is ENABLED in my settings and I've tried restarting my keyboard with no results. Please help, as I can't seem to find an answer on this issue anywhere. 

Everything was working fine before the update.

14 REPLIES 14
GrandMaster

Re: Two issues since downloading an update on 8/23/17 - Enhanced messaging popup and predictive text

did the update say what it was for?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Re: Two issues since downloading an update on 8/23/17 - Enhanced messaging popup and predictive text

I don't recall what the update was for, but I'd imagine it's similar to the one people have downloaded in the past couple of weeks or so that lead to the enhanced messaging/RCS issue.

GrandMaster

that update should have zip to do with the predictive box popping up. you might attempt a cache/partition wipe on your device to see if that clears it up but you also mentioned its app specific?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:
that update should have zip to do with the predictive box popping up. you might attempt a cache/partition wipe on your device to see if that clears it up but you also mentioned its app specific?

I 100% believe the predictive box disappearing is a direct result of this update. My friend who also owns an S8 downloaded the update yesterday and reported the same thing. He sent me before and after pics and I've attached them for reference. He is with a different carrier, but I doubt that matters since he has the same issue on his phone. In regards to this issue being app specific, it appears to affect google related apps, most notably the google app search bar (widget) and the google search field when using the Samsung internet browser.

I also own an S6 which does not have this issue (haven't downloaded any recent updates).

After update.jpgBefore update.jpg 

GrandMaster

keep in mind this update started pushing out last week ish..normally you will see an onslaught of threads popping up about stuff like this..and so far its only issues with getting calling calling plus up and going.
GrandMaster

also the update that was received or at least the calling plus is a Sprint only deal..there was however a security patch included in this update
Sprint Social Care

Hello leedavi4@ Thank you for reaching out to us. Please try doing the following and let us know how it goes.

• Go to Settings;
  • Go to Language & Input;
  • Tap on the Samsung Keyboard;
  • Find the Predictive Text menu;
  • Tap on it to turn it On.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

@Sprint_Jeffrey wrote:

Hello leedavi4@ Thank you for reaching out to us. Please try doing the following and let us know how it goes.

• Go to Settings;
  • Go to Language & Input;
  • Tap on the Samsung Keyboard;
  • Find the Predictive Text menu;
  • Tap on it to turn it On.

I stated in my first message that predictive text is enabled. No dice.

Wizard

You might check your Samsung App updates make sure everything is current and also make there are no other Keyboard installed on the device besides Samsung and Google.. Smiley Happy 

Journeyman

@ShipWreck wrote:

You might check your Samsung App updates make sure everything is current and also make there are no other Keyboard installed on the device besides Samsung and Google.. Smiley Happy 

Confirmed that my apps are up to date and no other keyboard is installed except Samsung and Google.

GrandMaster

out of curiosity. do you happen to have battery saver mode enabled? if so turn that off, restart the phone and recheck to see if anything starts working again or not.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat