cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't my Galaxy S3 connect to my pc through the usb?

Journeyman

Why doesn't my Galaxy S3 connect to my pc through the usb?

When I hook up my Galaxy S3 usb cable to my windows 7 pc, my pc doesn't recognize it. I spoke to Samsung and they said to download driver software. I googled and downloaded the correct drivers but my S3 can't open the file, so I deleted it. Can anyone help me get the correct drivers? Or is there anything else I can do to get the usb connection to work? My sister has an S3 also and my computer connects to hers with no problem. She is on T-Mobile network.

28 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Why doesn't my Galaxy S3 connect to my pc through the usb?

Bia1993,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I’m sorry you are having an issue with your S3. I’d like to help. In order for it to connect you have to make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Try this:

Power off your phone.

Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power, all at once)

Press Volume Up to continue

Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should see it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer. Please keep me posted!

Jacque

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

This did not work for me! Help please

Wizard

You are connecting the S3 to your pc for a specific purpose? I've noticed in the past with Samsung devices that it was the USB cable I was using.

Try using a different usb cable first, preferably the one that came with the phone.

On the Samsung website S3 page there is a 23mb exe file that consists of the usb driver and necessary files. Was that the file you tried to install? If not, then you need to install that file on your pc not the phone.

these are the steps according to Samsung..

1-Uninstall the Samsung USB driver that is on your PC (Start button, Control panel, Programs, Program & Features, and uninstall the Samsung USB Driver)

2-Restart your PC

3-They say to disable your Firewall and Antivirus but I never did and it still worked for me.

4-Download the file again from the Samsung website

5-install the file to your PC and follow the instructions and when it tells you to connect the phone to the pc via usb cable do so.

6-it should recognize the phone in the file manager.

btw, You can also connect to your pc wirelessly by installing Kies on your pc and also downloading the Kies app onto your phone.

Hope it helps

Over at the Samsung site they have quite a few answers if you are trying to do a specific task such as..

Import music

What to do if Kies is not seeing my device

Journeyman

i'm having this same problem I have been trying to power up the phone into download mode but it's not working i've been trying to get into download mode for the past 30 mins. I just want to import my pics and music onto my laptop!!!!....my USB cord used to work then it magically stopped it's brand new i dont know what the problem is

Journeyman

i'm having this same problem I have been trying to power up the phone into download mode but it's not working i've been trying to get into download mode for the past 30 mins. I just want to import my pics and music onto my laptop!!!!....my USB cord used to work then it magically stopped it's brand new i dont know what the problem is

Journeyman

Journeyman

Journeyman

Journeyman

You try this tip? I got my Samsung Galaxy S3 to work via USB with this great trick!

1. Unplug the USB cable

2. On the cell phone, dial the following number: *#7284# Once the last # is hit,

the PhoneUtil application is launched.

Choose USB -> Modem and then USB -> PDA mode.

The good mode should be PDA.

Even if the mode is PDA, switch to Modem and then back to PDA.

3. Plug the USB cable.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.