cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Android 2.1 bring pinch to zoom to Moment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will Android 2.1 bring pinch to zoom to Moment?

I think I read somewhere that the hardware is multi-touch compatible.. so, pinch to zoom should be do-able with software, yes?

Does anyone know if the impending Android 2.1 release will bring that to the Moment?

edit:  Can anyone confirm or deny this article?  (Not the dates, but the pinch & zoom stuff)

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Will Android 2.1 bring pinch to zoom to Moment?

Bueller??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Last attempt at an answer.. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

No.  I just updated and there is no multitouch.  It is not clear if the Moment hardware supports it, but I doubt it, because they would be shooting themselves in the foot putting out an Android phone that will not support the newest apps that will be coming out with multitouch capabilities.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I installed the 2.1 update several days ago. It does not have "pinch to zoom," better known as multi-touch. This is a HUGE disappointment. On one hand, 2.1 runs a lot better than 1.6 and it seems to be crisper and even the graphics look better, but without multi-touch, the Samsung Moment is an "also ran" product. A friend at work updated his Eris last night and was showing off the multi-touch that came in the Verizon update.

Also, there are a number of other irritating things that didn't get fixed like why do I have to have an Airplane mode? 2.1 seems to like to go into that mode just because it wants to and that is particularly irritating when driving, not to mention dangerous. Wish there was a toggle to just take that feature off the phone. I am sure the Android developers and folks at Sprint who control what goes into the phone are really excited about that little feature, but the fact is, most people don't fly enough to make it as prominent as it is, especially if it isn't going to work right

I have had the Moment about 2 months now (I also got one for my wife, so we are a 2 Moment family) and I can honestly say I have never been more disappointed in a cell phone. I was told when I bought it that 2.1 would bring it to the "state of the art" but the reality is that it just didn't do it. My wife literally hates her Moment. In fact, so much so that she is thinking of going back to her Palm 755p. The more I think about it, that might not be a bad idea.

The only reason I got the Moments was because I wanted a full featured phone that is competitive to the iPhone and I was assured that this one would be by Sprint sales persons. I guess their job is to sell phones and they did, but it took two happy customers and turned them into very unhappy people.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Androids are not a phone you just purchase and use like phones in the past.  They are more like computers, you can customize just about everything.  Along with customization comes confusion and problems for some people.  The Moment is a great phone I think.  I also have one for myself and my wife.  She had a lot of problems with hers but we worked through them and all of the problems have been user error.  The new 2.1 update took to long to come out but it is great.  I use Sprint TV, Sprint Radio, the Navigation, I use the Dolphin Browser, run the Weather Channel widget along with the Retro clock and date widget, use all aspects of Gmail, use K-9 mail to monitor 3 accounts that are checked hourly they are all setup to send out throught the GMail server, I have a few games, lots of games and puzzles for my children, I use Google Maps and Google Latitude, we share our Latitude locations with each other so we can see each other on the map but we don't run that 24/7 any longer, we both use bluetooth headsets and with the 2.1 update the voice dial activates when you press the button on the headset which I really missed, I also run Advanced Task Killer to kill things I don't need running like Amazon MP3, Sprint TV and other things that don't need to run when I am not using them.  The ATK program really helps keep things shut down.  The stock browser used to be open constantly, Dolphin browser has an Exit feature so you know it turns off when you are finished using it.  I love the phone and the battery life isn't great but for what this thing does, its size, the battery size and the OLED screen I am very pleased!  It also seems to charge pretty fast.  I think Samsung did a great job with this phone and I was happy to get it through Sprint for a steal I thought and everything you get with Sprint can not be beat by any other provider!  They are loyal to their customers and do a great job.   

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat