cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

epic 4g new gingerbread update problems

Journeyman

I have couple issues so far, 1st this new update kills my battery, in no time, I usually go through one full battery a day and part of the other (I have a spare) now it will eat through a battery in a matter of hours (actually under two last night and I barely used the phone)  I check my apps running and it shows none as before

also when I make a call it will turn off my blue tooth once the call is made, I use a plantronics 975 discovery and have never had an issue before,.

I do not like the forced update to the telenav, it does not work as smoothly as the sprint nav that was on the phone

also the fading in the background scree must eat up battery life

4g did not seem to work while i was down in the 4g area (there is no 4g by me)

phone seems to hang constantlhy,

it will not show my installed blue tooth devices unless I search for them everytime and willnot connect to my V-tech home phone any longer

any suggestions?

I have not tried the gps yet

27 REPLIES
Journeyman

oh Iv forgot, my wi-fi barly shows one bar now, it always was all three bars and great connection before linksys 610n router

I just did this "upgrade" yesterday

Journeyman

I've been having issues similar to your's with the gingerbread update on my Epic 4g.  My battery life has noticeably declined.  I'm also having trouble connection to my Wifi which was never an issue before.  It just says "Obtaining IP Address...", but it never actually connects (at least 9 times out of 10 it does).  I live in the middle of a major city and I can't get 4g at my house (I never could before and I still can't).

Journeyman

Hi there,

Have you tried to do a factory reset since installing the update?  Sometimes a factory reset is needed right after an update.  You can do this by going to settings>privacy>factory data reset.  Keep in mind that the reset will erase all data that is not stored on your memory card such as apps, settings, etc.  Your pictures and media files should be safe on your memory card and be sure that your contacts are synced to your Google account.  Hopefully this helps.

Journeyman

I am experiencing the same thing: battery life is only a few hours since the Gingerbread update was installed, I used to be able to go the entire day.  Now it lasts hours, and I avoid running apps, which kind of defeats the purpose of having this powerful phone.

Wifi reception is much weaker than before, I often find myself with a tiny single bar inside my house in places where I had 5 or 6 bars.

Also had difficulty accessing voicemail with bluetooth headset, but it's fine for phone calls.

One thing I am very upset about is the loss of the long-press pop-up window for accented characters when typing an email in the Combined Inbox.  It works fine in gmail and other apps, and it works fine with the touchscreen keyboard.  Weird thing, but it gets me everytime.  I installed MultiLing, but got scared of the warning message "this app has the ability of recording everything you type" and removed it...

Overall I don't see the point of the Gingerbread update.  My phone was working fine, not anymore, and I see none of the benefits.

Journeyman

I agree the update is full of bugs. I have more things to point out, besides the bad battery. in the camera there is no longer a no sound feature. the phone restarts randomly at times and freezes too. I might consider rooting and staying on froyo. wifi is exactly as you said. the system is actually taking most of the battery life, when the display used to take the most of it. this means there is no down time on the phone. the phone is running even if your phone is not "on" by that I mean the lockscreen. this is a very upsetting update.

Journeyman

I'm having serious Wi-Fi problems. I can barely get a signal 10 feet from the router. Side by side with another phone, the speed is 1/2. I can't get 4g inside my house and have always had excellent Wi-Fi connectivity until the update. Is there a solution to this problem?

Journeyman

Any new information on this?  Gingerbread gave me 25 hours of battery life on day one, between 9 and 4 hours per charge since.  It's been maddening.  In talking with Sprint, they recommended I reinstall the ATK (I haven't run it for months and got better battery life on Froyo w/out it from what I could tell). 

One thing I noticed as it dropped ~20% battery life during dinner last night was that it felt warmer than I am used to.  I wonder if Gbread has it polling for more things than Froyo was unsuccessfully.  I loved it for a day but would gladly return to Froyo to get 15+ hours back out of my phone.

Journeyman

Re: epic 4g new gingerbread update problems

I finally solved the battery life problem by doing a factory reset however Wi-Fi is a different story. 

It seems to take 5 - 10 tries before it connects to my wi-fi, but it does finally connect.

The bad news is that the gingerbread update has messed up the wi-fi so that I'm getting extremely slow wi-fi even though my ISP supplies 15/3 speed to my house.  The computers can all hit very close to those speeds on almost any speed test. My phone also did very well until gingerbread.  Now I'm lucky to get 200k.  Most times it doesn't work at all even though it is connected.  The ping is extremely high even to servers that are very close to me when testing the phone.  Not so on computers so not a network problem, it's a phone problem.

sprintcomtcharp,

I know that most people that have this issue perform a reset on there router and it normally cures the issue. Do you have the same latency when connected to other WIFI networks?

Thanks,

-Ron

Journeyman

Haven't tried connecting to any other Wi-Fi networks yet.  I just did the factory reset on the phone last night and noticed the Wi-Fi speed was toast.  I'm still re-loading some of the apps.  The Wi-Fi also seems to put a lot of drain on the battery, but still the battery drain is nothing like it was before the factory reset.  I suppose I'll try router re-boot.  This often solves a multitude of issues, phone related or not.  I just seldom have to do it very often.

Journeyman

sprintcomtcharp, can you describe the battery life before the factory reset and since?  My old battery life w/ Froyo was around 15-20 hours, now I am at 4-9 hours and it loses life in big chunks.

Also, do you or any other posters notice that the back of your device is significantly warmer than it was prior to the upgrade?  I am not running any GPS or even WiFi features nor are they enabled when I am noticing this. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat