cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Memory but Plenty of Storage

Patron

Insufficient Memory but Plenty of Storage

My phone keeps telling me that it has insufficient memory because the internal memory is almost maxed.  However, I added a 14GB SD card a month ago which remains virtually untouched.  I can find no place in the Storage or Application Settings to specify which component to save to.  How do I tell it to use the SD card instead of internal memory?

5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Insufficient Memory but Plenty of Storage

The problem is the phone's internal memory is being taken up.  There are a couple of things that you can do.  First  go to settings>applications> manage applications download apps   Check each application to see if it can be moved to the SD card  some can some can't.  Second  do you have a lot of SMS messages on your device.  SMS messages save to the phones internal memory  Deleting old or uneeded messages  will help free up memory.  Also clearing the cache on the browser can free up memory on the phone  Settings>applications>manage applications>all apps> internet  tap delete cache.   When you finish these thing power cycle the device by pulling the battery. 

Patron

Thank you, Knight, but cutting corners isn't going to help me now.  What I need to know is how to tell the phone to store to the 14Gig SD card instead of internal memory.  When I look in Application settings, there is no option to do so.  Same in Storage settings.  How does an SD card work with this phone?  What is the point of providing the slot for expanded memory if I can not make the phone understand that it's there?

Master

That is the the problem here  information like pictures and music automatically go to the SD card .  Things like SMS and the Internet cache only store on in the device memory and have to be cleared  out occasionally.   Applications may have an option of going to the SD card when downloading as a rule   Once downloaded you do have the option to move them to the card if that is a possibility.   Which device do you have?  If you have one of the Phones with a large internal memory like the S3 The applications that use it like the camera  have a setting where you can direct it to store to the SD card.

Patron

I have the Samsung Conquer (SPH D600).  It's completely absurd that the developers include an SD card slot but not a way to direct content to it. *head>desk*

Journeyman

The problem is not your phone but JB which is incorrectly reading the total device storage space on your phone.  Also have you realized that you can no longer install new apps or do updates?

The issue stems from either wrong memory read-out from the Samsung memory controller.  An update should fix this but Samsung are the ones who need to do it.

Do this

go to settings,

then look for storage

How much does it show on the "Device Memory" menu?  What does "Total Space" show?

On my phone it shows 1.97GB as total memory space for the device.  I have 235MB of space remaining according to JB (Jelly bean).  In reality the phone has 14GB total device memory and out of that I have consumed 5GB of that which in turn should leave 9GB space available.

So it is a software issue.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat