cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing Music from the Phone through Car Speakers?

Highlighted
Patron

Playing Music from the Phone through Car Speakers?

Hello all,

My Samsung Conquer can stream music and podcasts which trumps my mp3 player, but is there any way for me to play it through my car stereo like the player? I have a car stereo with bluetooth and a usb port - the mp3 player hooks up by usb and automatically plays through the car speakers. Surely there's a way to do the same with my smart phone. Does anyone know?

Thanks much.

11 REPLIES 11
Master

Re: Playing Music from the Phone through Car Speakers?

You're phone is not designed to play music through the USB but may work through bluetooth.  Have you paired the phone with your stereo by going through your stereo's menus?  Your phone "does" support A2DP which is the stereo bluetooth profile needed to play both left and right channels of stereo music via bluetooth.  The other way is to use your phone's headphone jack.  Does your stereo have a headphone jack like the one on your phone? It may be labelled "AUX."  You will need a stereo mini to stereo mini cable to connect this.  If the "AUX" input is not the front of your stereo but you have an AUX selection on your stereo, then the input is in the back of your stereo and may need to be connected by a car stereo technician. 

Hope this helps.

Tom

Message was edited by: tomdeaver ~ Update. I was just discussing this with a colleague and if your stereo has a "USB" functionality, it may recognize your phone as an MP3 player.  You will need to select the "Turn on USB storage" button after connecting to a stereo with USB capabilities via the USB cable.

Patron

Thanks for the great info, Tom.  Is this the kind of cable you mean?  Or perhaps this one?

Thanks again!

Jordan

Journeyman

The easiest way by far would be to connect with Bluetooth. Once you connect, your phone will automatically switch back and forth between calls and music, and if your stereo has a mic installed, like some of the fancier models, you may even be able to use it as a wireless set to conenct your calls while driving.

If you don't know how to use the bluetooth on your stereo, you may need to check on it in the user manual of your car(if it's built in), or checking the support documents that came with your stereo(if aftermarket).

Hope that helps!

Patron

That would be cool indeed, but I'm concerned that the sound quality wouldn't be as good.  Thoughts?

Journeyman

I have found that with a stock bluetooth enabled stereo, the audio quality is only as good as your speaker system. However, it also depends on what app you are using to stream the audio. The default music player is ok for that, but if you are on the freeway trying to use Pandora, you might get low quality and some buffering. Since both of your devices are bluetooth compatible, it would definitely be the cheapest route as well as the easiest.

Patron

Hello,

Strange new development on this.  I've been using a stereo mini to stereo mini cable for months now without issue.  Once in a while I had to adjust the wire to get it to come in clear, but it worked fine without too much fuss.  Then the other day it just stopped working through the mini to mini cable entirely.  The cable works with other devices, but spontaneously stopped working with my car stereo.  The stereo seems to be fine, too, as long as I only want to play cds or off my mp3 player.

Unfortunately it turns out that my car stereo isn't bluetooth compatible.  Does anyone have any experience with why the mini to mini would be problematic?

Since my phone reportedly isn't designed to play over USB, are there any other workarounds?

Patron

No thoughts on this?

Master

might want to take a look at this  might fit your needs

Patron

Hi Knight, thanks for your reply.  Was there supposed to be a link with that?

Cheers,

Jordan

Master

Patron

Thanks!  I'll check into that.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat