Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/16 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FL24

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 1/16 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FL24

RobertMagz wrote:

Dont update it, i did it last night 1-17-1213 and it crashed my phone:/ after it finished intalling it and rebooted it turned on and stayed in the big 4G screen. It probly has a bug

An OTA update showed up for my phone this morning. I agreed to let it install and the same thing happened. It is now stuck on the 4G screen for 4 hours. No number of battery pulls or power cycles can get it to finish the update.

Anyone have any luck getting it to finish?

Highlighted
Wizard

mj.murphy wrote:

RobertMagz wrote:

Dont update it, i did it last night 1-17-1213 and it crashed my phone:/ after it finished intalling it and rebooted it turned on and stayed in the big 4G screen. It probly has a bug

An OTA update showed up for my phone this morning. I agreed to let it install and the same thing happened. It is now stuck on the 4G screen for 4 hours. No number of battery pulls or power cycles can get it to finish the update.

Anyone have any luck getting it to finish?

I don't have this issue? I downloaded it not OTA though. Are you able to factory reset your device? That's the best to get the update to work right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello all, I found this thread after notcing a pushed update to my phoen this morning yet no noticable changes to it afterward.. I got my gs2 for xmas in 2011, I am on my 6th phone and the insurance plan helps but sprint keeps giving me used refurbished phones that develope the same problem over and over,, I fear rooting to install jelly bean because I can't get a realiable phone from the company I have been with for 13 years. the service has " sh** the bed" so to say in how this last year has been. I should have stayed on my evo 4g.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First of all, do not be afraid to root your phone, it is the only way you'll get satisfaction.

Second, I will not describe any procedures with detail (because Sprint is watching), but there are plently of tools available over the internet to help you get what's available.  The GA10 Jellybean Kernel has been leaked and it will cure those nasty ICS problems.  It loads the stock Sprint ROM and you can get it Rooted, No Root, Data Wipe or No Data Loss.  And all you need to do is Google for them, try visiting SXTP first.

Having said that be careful.  Many of the recent leaks are buggy, they are made buggy by the guys who compile the code.  Be sure to read what you can about them.  Find the one that gives you the options I mentioned above and you should be okay with it.  You can always flash back too, even to GB if you want.

I do feel battery life and connectivity is better, by maybe 10% to 30%.  I should also mention that Sprint is due to release the GA10 for Epic 4G Touch soon, but that could be a month to two or three away.

I also want to go on record by saying Sprint Plans are the best, by far.  I am very happy to be with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there any way to download this update and install it manually?

Highlighted
Wizard

@MongooseProXC

Yes! Look below.

garwynn wrote:

Update .zip also available on the internet (Link to Google servers) along with instructions on how to do it.

Just search for OTA FL24.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The battery power indicator in the notification bar no longer includes the percentage. I use the native Android launcher instead of TouchWiz, and the Google search widget has disappeared from the top of my home screen.

Are these undocumented changes? Bugs?

Neither issue is really significant on its own, but it's a bit troubling that the update seems to have caused random changes. It makes me wonder what else is lurking under cover to be discovered later.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, gjderge.  Not sure why your Google search widget isn't displaying...  But, if you go to System Settings > Display > under General, check the box next to "Display battery percentage." 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks. That fixed the battery icon, and I've managed to work out the search bar issue as well.

It appears that the latest "Google Search" app available from Google Play isn't available for our phone (Ice Cream Sandwich not supported). That app is used for the native launcher's search bar, so without the app, the search bar isn't present.

I was able to find an old version of the app on a developer site, and that has restored it. I'm not sure if I lost it by upgrading to FL24 or in a recent factory reset. Probably the latter.

Thanks again. Eagerly awaiting our rumored Jellybean upgrade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I guess it's time to flee Sprint. Like this update wouldn't totally jack my phone up to such an extent that I lose all the data not on my SD and have to do a factory rest....LIKE THE LAST TWO PIECE OF CRAP UPDATES YOU SENT.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW TO STOP SPRINT FROM SENDING ME THESE UPDATES THAT STRAIGHT UP TURN MY PHONE INTO A GD USELESS BRICK! (not that I can get a signal three miles from Tampa International Airport anyway...)

EVERY UPDATE IS A STEP BACK. I RECCOMEND NO ONE DO THE UPDATES IF YOU VALUE WHAT"S ON YOUR PHONE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I guess it's time to flee Sprint. Like this update wouldn't totally jack my phone up to such an extent that I lose all the data not on my SD and have to do a factory rest....LIKE THE LAST TWO PIECE OF CRAP UPDATES YOU SENT.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW TO STOP SPRINT FROM SENDING ME THESE UPDATES THAT STRAIGHT UP TURN MY PHONE INTO A GD USELESS BRICK! (not that I can get a signal three miles from Tampa International Airport anyway...)

EVERY UPDATE IS A STEP BACK. I RECCOMEND NO ONE DO THE UPDATES IF YOU VALUE WHAT"S ON YOUR PHONE!

Journeyman

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat