1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Security update

- Dismissing multiple calendar alerts

- Commercial Alert System (CMAS) activated

Important Notes:

- Software version is: SSmiley Very Happy710.10S.EL29

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 10 days

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - 1/26, correct sw version number

112 REPLIES 112
Wizard

And before anyone asks....the "Security Update" part is for sure the removal of Carrier IQ or CIQ if you've been following the news.  This does include updated modems and such as well that isn't in the highly detailed notes that Sprint is offering above.

Highlighted
Wizard

And here's s review of EL29 for the timid:

I am not trying to be rude but why the push to release this version when it does not appear to fix defects (the only thing I really see is probably for Carrier IQ) and I have read that there is some data speed slowing as well as more gps issues related to this version. This phone has already a history of gps issues and who wants to reintroduce data speed issues (mine has improved somewhat with the previous version). Why not fix the issues that many customers have with this phone?

Journeyman

mmark27_ wrote:

And before anyone asks....the "Security Update" part is for sure the removal of Carrier IQ or CIQ if you've been following the news.  This does include updated modems and such as well that isn't in the highly detailed notes that Sprint is offering above.

I've given up on posting defects and issues, unless it's affecting Sprint cancelations I really doubt they care. There are a bunch of defect/requests that Samsung just won't get done.

Wizard

Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

mrcminnesota wrote:

I am not trying to be rude but why the push to release this version when it does not appear to fix defects (the only thing I really see is probably for Carrier IQ) and I have read that there is some data speed slowing as well as more gps issues related to this version. This phone has already a history of gps issues and who wants to reintroduce data speed issues (mine has improved somewhat with the previous version). Why not fix the issues that many customers have with this phone?

Agreed.  There was a version EL26 that made its way out before EL29 (not to an official OTA) and it did improve the speed, but it drained the battery life significantly.  This EL29 does improve the Bluetooth stack, reportedly, as well as the sound.pool issues that were causing games to crash.  It's unfortunate that Sprint is not more forthcoming with what they know about these defects and software fixes.  Most likely they don't report them because they have no idea what's going on, which is evident in the small amount of rep interaction even on this forum, the official Sprint company community.  It always amazes me that fixes like "Dismissing Multiple Calendar Events" is press worthy for the release when 99.99999% of the users NEVER SAW THIS ISSUE.  It is not mentioned once on this forum....again the official Sprint company community.  However, there are thousands of replies about the GPS, yet not a peep from Sprint.  The GPS sucks on this device, quite frankly.  It works, sure, but reliably, NO.  If this were the iphone, they'd be all over it.  That's just the truth.

I will have to say their biggest ally in this mess is the development community.  To highlight, the discontinued HP Touchpad from September now has an ICS release for it that is fabulous and it's only an Alpha release.  There are very talented people working on Android.  LEVERAGE these people to help make your product stand out from the crowd and be perfect.  Don't wall it all up and turn out sub-par releases.

Journeyman

I'm confused...I've received NO updates...and they refuse to push them through. I  have had this since 9/2011 and have NEVER been able to "update Android" or "update Firmware"....wth??  My Epic Touch looks NOTHING like this! They say I have to take it to a store for updating...I NEVER go to stores...all online. Why have a smartphone when I can't use it to UPDATE ITSELF???? Furious!

Journeyman

MoPho2011 wrote:

I'm confused...I've received NO updates...and they refuse to push them through. I  have had this since 9/2011 and have NEVER been able to "update Android" or "update Firmware"....wth??  My Epic Touch looks NOTHING like this! They say I have to take it to a store for updating...I NEVER go to stores...all online. Why have a smartphone when I can't use it to UPDATE ITSELF???? Furious!

What version are you on now?

Journeyman

first off if you have done some more research this EL29 update from sprint does actually look to be a bit different then what was leaked by Samobile about 3 weeks ago.  The baseband is actually a different build from looks of it as well.  Granted the EL29 that was leaked could of had debugging left on but that could also effect other things or it could also be this is a totally different EL29 build for the phone does that same day with minor changes.  As for GPS issues I've yet to have 1 single problem with mine also Do not bitch at Sprint for GPS issues you need to raise hell with samsung if you are having them.  The GPS problems are not a Sprint issue in the least but how Samsung does things period.  Lets face it samsung makes great phones but their Radios and such are totally trash and work half of the time.  In all honesty Motorola/HTC make better radio's then Samsung when it comes to a CDMA phone maybe samsung should use theirs instead seriously since that's part of the problem right there.

Also this does do other things then just remove CIQ as well.  If that's all this build did it could of been released over a month ago as EL13 (since that was the first leaked build out of samsung that had CIQ officially removed as well)  This does have other fixes that Sprint just does not put in there nor does samsung for that matter.  Things have changed in the rom period.  incoming call screen is totally different now as well as icons that have been updated to match other software (like the Note and such) This is not just a CIQ removal build for the phone and people need to stop thinking that this is all this update is bringing you cause it is NOT the truth.

Journeyman

I'm at EK02. Just spent an hour on phone with Sprint techs, who told me to go to a store.  Not going to a store!  This is why I have a smartphone, for CONVENIENCE.

Nothing works to update it, not anything. Three people tried sending codes or something, I still get "software up to date" when trying to update Android.

Got a call in to Samsung. I want this phone replaced. While talking about the issue, it abruptly disconnected, to add insult to injury. I've received NO updates at all other than PRL and Profile since I got it, and I try -- regularly.

Wizard

Relax man, everyone is on ek02. Just be patient. It'll push.

Wizard

Well you got at least one update because EK02 was an update.  EL29 will arrive over the next few days so you'll be fine if you want it. 

Cheers,

MoPho2011 wrote:

I'm at EK02. Just spent an hour on phone with Sprint techs, who told me to go to a store.  Not going to a store!  This is why I have a smartphone, for CONVENIENCE.

Nothing works to update it, not anything. Three people tried sending codes or something, I still get "software up to date" when trying to update Android.

Got a call in to Samsung. I want this phone replaced. While talking about the issue, it abruptly disconnected, to add insult to injury. I've received NO updates at all other than PRL and Profile since I got it, and I try -- regularly.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat