cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Journeyman

well, some already have it. I want some features that are shown on EL26, that I never received. Was I supposed to get that update, or did people go download it. i am not going to root my phone, I'm too ignorant of things to trust that. I DO want the current version of the  $600 phone I have, and I expect it ASAP. I mean, I came here because of a Sprint tweet about it, so I expected to "Update Android" easily. I spent an hour on the phone with techs going "DUH, I don't know why you can't get it", and they all seem gobsmacked that I was only on EK02. So yes, I want, I want it now, I want the dialer shown that others have, I want the calling icons that look and behave differently..basically, I want this phone to be CURRENT. And I'm darned hacked off that people are throwing it in my face that they have it -- and I don't.

Annoyed with Sprint, with Samsung.... just annoyed. Sick of Sprint kicking me around, being sneaky, hiding things, eliminating programs, dreaming up stupid charges, and being just generally freaking a pain. Don't tweet that the update is available if I can't do it -- And do NOT tell me to go to a store! I'm in Texas, where a store can be hundreds of miles from where I am using my phone. Give me a break.

I never thought I'd say I wish I'd gotten one of those irritatingly proprietary Iphones instead, but they SURE are easy to update.

Just update the phone, that's all I ask for my $600 bucks and the doubling of my bill since I bought my "smartphone" that is apparently too stupid to update itself, even if I push it. 

Ready to throw this thing against a wall and go buy a iphone.

Wizard

Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

This is not Apple with their stranglehold on the hardware and software.  The carriers have little to no say on how Apple rolls out updates.  It's controlled and handled by Apple so when an update is available you can easily retrieve it via itunes if you don't want to wait for the OTA (which only recently became possible with 5.x)  Android on the other hand does not have this.  It runs on many different hardware platforms and updates are staggered by the carriers to minimize problems on their networks.  EL29 just was released.  You'll get it when you get it or you'll drive all over TX ... end of story.

If you're tired of Sprint and their practices move on to another carrier.  As with any product or service you can choose who you do business with. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

First of all EL26 was NOT and official release it was a "leaked" build that was released nothing more No one on Sprint unless you rooted your phone used EL26.  So no you were not supossed to get that update at all.  EK02 was the only OFFICIAL OTA ever released for this phone till the now EL29 update.

As for throwing it in your face that others have it.  In all honesty you sound like someone that thinks just cause you spent money on something you are "entitled" to everything when that's not the case.  Look at ANY cell phone company that rolls out updates over the air and you will see they do it in stages to not impact the users on the network and half millions of people downloading an update all at the same time.  You need to learn to have some patience first and foremost as well.  Also as for the iPhone comment you do realise that Apple does the updates themselves and you are locked to iTunes in order to do that.  Also in that same respect lets say you did get a iPhone 4s and you didn't update for say over a year and the new model came out with a new version of iOS.  My guess is you would want it then and there but sadly you would STILL be waiting for it since even Apple does not update all of their products at the same time (it's uncommon but it has happened) or they drop the older device and force you to update to the new model to get that latest iOS build.

As the tweet said yes it's being rolled out that's it as of today "it's being rolled out over the next 10 days"  I actually rolled my phone BACK to EK02 just to see if I had it so I could strip the baseband from it since it's new and I don't even have the update yet.  But I'm also not the one acting like I'm "entitled" when I spent just as much as you for a new phone.  Relax sit back and chill out and learn some patience and if you are ready to throw it against a wall and go get an iPhone please do us all the favor and go over to the iPhone I'm sure you will still find things to complain about with that as well.

P.S.

Oh and MoPho I had EL29 cause I rooted my phone.  Also What I said was not throwing it in your face I was stating there are other changes then just a CIQ removal which Samsung does NOT even tell you about.

Journeyman

"in all honestly" you better believe I think that paying for a "SMARTphone" means it will stay current, be easily updated, and be convenient. If Sprint tells me to go to their site to UPDATE my phone, it darned well better be possible. I clicked the link, came here, tried to update -- nothing.

As for being "stuck with Itunes", well that's a lot easier than trying to find a Sprint store -- especially one staffed by anyone other than a bunch of arrogant power-drunk 19 year olds. I don't have TIME to go to a store - and guess what -- I have a phone that's supposed to take care of things all by itself.

As for Apple? I have an Ipod Touch and an Ipad2, both of which I updated with iOS5 as soon as it was possible,. Itunes helpfully reminded me and advised me what to do, took no time at all, just had to find my white cables.....

I didn't want to constantly hunt for the little white power cords for my cellphone, so I went with the Epic Touch -- but the other guy is looking better all the time. At least I could plug in and get the latest update, but with this Android, all I can do is sit like a baby bird and wait for Big Mama Bird to drop the update in my mouth.

There are those who have EL26, and El29, who have stock phones. So -- how? How do they do this magical thing? (may I refer you upthread to mmark27_, with the stock phone updated....)

Sorry to expect my pricey little device to be current at ALL times. I don't know why that seems like too much to expect.

Journeyman

you're the reason I'm up in arms over this. YOU Have it, YOU posted a video. So, easy for YOU to tell everyone to relax and let it happen, you already have a current device.

Journeyman

note: that tweet I saw around 2 pm  is GONE.....it didn't say it was "rolling out", it said "UPDATE Epic 4g Touch -- click HERE to do it" and I did and it wouldn't.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here let me just say this since you already have a itouch and an iPad 2 please feel free to go and get a iPhone 4s and leave android.  Cause honestly it's a user like you that "feels entitled" that ISN'T that I'm sure any real Android lover would like to get rid of.  Also yeah I do have EL29 want to know why?  SamFirmware leaked the build 3 weeks ago but it and here let me say this nice and big for you so you understand it.  IT WAS NOT OFFICIAL!!!!!!  I root phones everyday of the week to get off of carrier supported phones and give users the option to do what they want when they want to do it any given time they want. 

Now just to prove you wrong on your little Twitter thing and saying that it's been removed.

Here is the post from Sprints Twitter feed notice it says 10 hours ago?  It's still there

http://i.imgur.com/dqMdw.png

Now that exact pic says it's now aviable which IT IS since it's in rollout stage and it just started today.  The link was to send you to THIS page so you could read up on it and wait for it over the air.  NO WHERE does it say that you can download it now.  And if you did know anything about software updates on phones you would understand any phones outside of the iPhones takes a few days to get to ALL users.  It's not plug in and boom it's done.  So again chill out and relax I paid for my phone as well but I don't have the attitude of "I'm entitled" to get it before ANYONE else.  Oh also it does not say click here to do it either.  It's a rollout which is 100% NORMAL for any Android phone

As for the EL26 and EL29 and them being stock read what I said above SamFirmware "LEAKED" full roms for THIS PHONE of those builds they were NEVER made official for Sprint they were test builds while removing Carrier IQ and adding in new features period.

Now before you go off when I post this next pic you should actually LEARN to read before hand and read everything I say.

#1) The BASEBAND in this pic is the LEAKED EL29 rom Samfirmware released 3+ weeks ago.  Do a number match to the update Sprint is now talking about and notice the version Number is different?  Just case I have the ability to run a ROOTED ROM on my phone does NOT always mean I have the correct released version.

#2) [...]  You get them when your number comes up nothing you can do about it It's been like this with Smartphones from pretty much day 1.  You don't want to deal with that Go get your iPhone or a Windows Phone for that matter and again leave Android to the people that are not going to fly off the handle just cause this update STARTED going out today and you didn't get it first.

#3) My phone is ROOTED which means I do WTF I want when I want with it.

http://i.imgur.com/Rkmv8.png

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

FYI, I DO like Android, and that's why I have the phone. I also want it to be CURRENT.

And that's not the tweet I saw. The one I saw had exclamation points !!!  and invited you to go to a link to UPDATE THE ANDROID and took you to a link with detailed instructions on how to do so. That tweet is not visible from any Sprint Twitter account anymore.

[...] when my phone company tells me to go "HERE" to do my update "NOW", then yes, I do expect it to be there.

I have Ipod for music for ...8 YEARS or more?...and Ipad as a gift...I am irritated by the lack of features like adding storage, not having to look for a white cable, and a number of other things. So I choose Android for phone. Had a Photon prior to this.

I'm not a fanboy-kid, I'm a grown woman in my 50s. And yes, I demand people and businesses deliver on what they PROMISE.

Journeyman

and FYI, YOU are not the one I am referring to as having the latest update.  Look upthread at the video of the STOCK phone with the update, posted by someone NOT you. So you can stop berating me and telling me all about your fancy rooting crap, because I'm not addressing YOU. I want to know how to update a phone that is NOT rooted, darling. There are posted links for people to update their phones, I see others in other forums who have happily updated, by using a link, and they make sure they hide it so no one else can do a manual update. Back off, my "beef" isn't with you rootkids.

Journeyman

That's funny cause I saw everything they posted on twitter and I even looked up cached pages and nothing like that was EVER SAID.  come up with another one cause right now all I see is you whining that you don't have it.

As for the video that's QBKING who did the review.  That video was posted to give others in this thread a visual for what else was in this build of the rom that Sprint did NOT talk about.  Also that video was created weeks ago not today so he wasn't throwing it in anyones face.  And maybe if you actually read for once in your life you would of seen that what I said also went with that video.  Since Both QBKING (from the video) and myself have had that build for weeks now and I have an UNROOTED version of it sitting on my harddrive.  But see you fail to read as well cause regardless of the fact that "we have it" it's the WRONG baseband build number which does NO one any good even if you stay stock.  As for others posting links there is a simple way of doing it OTA updates CAN hit someone who has root on a phone.  Once it happens we can pull that update from our phones and send it out to people that are not rooted or to a dev who can root it for everyone else nice and quick.

So before you go off in some huff maybe you should actually read before you jump and judge first and foremost period and point blank.  [.....]

P.S.

Demand all you want you won't change a rollout for OTA you will get it when you get it.  Regardless if it's in a day or 4 or 10 you will still get it.  Get off your rocker and stop thinking you have to have something before everyone else like I said before.  And another thing I'm no kid I'll be 37 this year and I've been doing this stuff for well over 30 years now since I was 5 y/o I don't really care that you a in your 50s the fact remains you need to slow your attitude down with people and not think you are "entitled" cause you are no better then any other Sprint customer and that's the plain and simple facts.

Wizard

please read for details and do some searching when you are confused. This thread has become very useless. Go over to XDA developers, look for this phone and read the background material. Or visit Androidcentral.com and read through their Android 101 section. Yelling at people on this thread for something no one has officially OTA doesnt help.

Amurica doesnt take the time to read anymore.

I've got the update and so far the data speeds are faster and even the GPS locks faster. I hope it stays this way.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat