1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Security update

- Dismissing multiple calendar alerts

- Commercial Alert System (CMAS) activated

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.EL29

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 10 days

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - 1/26, correct sw version number

112 REPLIES 112
Highlighted
Journeyman

This thread just went crazy.

I don't have the update yet, I'm rooted but don't want the one that's out right now.

Should we get quick updates? YES, do we? NO. And getting all bitchy and moany with Sprint won't do anything so why bother.

Sad part is this is just what Android is, if youw ant updates you need a Nexus device. When I bought this phone I knew samsung sucks for updates and I tested it for 14 days and decided that if it never got updated I could work with that.

MoPho2011, You are so mad about this update and the truth is it changes almost nothing.. Some people report higher speeds but so many things come into play and it can be as simple as a new tower in their are, or maintenance being done.

I've been an Android fan since day 1(pre ordered original G1), but unless this starts hurting the manufacturers bottom dollar they really won't do crap about it, they don't care about you after you purchase the phone, they make no money from you.

MoPho, my recomendation for you is to jump on a Nexus device when it becomes available. Hell, if I was on Sprint for years I would still be on the Nexus S probably, waiting for the Nexus Galaxy.

It's sad really that this happens and I wish it gets fixed, as much as I like Android, I sometimes don't recomend it t people because I know they will be better off with an Apple product.

Highlighted
Master

Please keep your tone constructive and not combative. I've removed  some of the more fiery statements and will be watching this thread for  possible harassment, which can be a bannable offense according to the Community Guidelines.

mapesy

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

@MoPho2011 The best way to know when the update is available for your phone is when you receive this message "Update Now or Update Later"displayed on your screen. When you receive this message, you will have the option to update your phone at that time or you can opt to update later. If you select the update later, then you would use the manual update through setting since your phone has been queued for an update. Until such time, your phone will continue to say it is current and no update available. This is the same with any Samsung update.

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Master

We have always been able to manually check and download updates on Samsung phones before they were officially pushed to our device, But I do notice that dshoem01 does have on the upgrade page  -

Check for updates (only available if 'install later' was selected in step 1 above)

1.  Go to the Home screen

2.  Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates >Update Android

3. Your phone will automatically download and install any available updates.  You may need to power your phone off and back

When, And why was that changed??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Levi4u wrote:

We have always been able to manually check and download updates on Samsung phones before they were officially pushed to our device, But I do notice that dshoem01 does have on the upgrade page  -

Check for updates (only available if 'install later' was selected in step 1 above)

3. Your phone will automatically download and install any available updates.  You may need to power your phone off and back

Notice the " (only available if 'install later' was selected in step 1 above)"

We can still do this, but it never would download anything unless it had ALREADy been pushed out by Sprint. When an update is sent out, it is sent out in waves by devices, not all at once.

Highlighted
Wizard

Must have happened sometime before 10-2011 when I joined Sprint because manually checking has never done anything unless you've previously deferred the update. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Master

No, We used to be able to check for and manually download it before it was pushed, They would release it and us diehards would manually check and download it and report if there were any issues and they would pull it if they got a lot of issue reports.

m3jia wrote:

Levi4u wrote:

Notice the " (only available if 'install later' was selected in step 1 above)"

We can still do this, but it never would download anything unless it had ALREADy been pushed out by Sprint. When an update is sent out, it is sent out in waves by devices, not all at once.

Highlighted
Wizard

Levi4u wrote:

No, We used to be able to check for and manually download it before it was pushed, They would release it and us diehards would manually check and download it and report if there were any issues and they would pull it if they got a lot of issue reports.

How the Epic 4G Touch is set up (from its inception), you can't click any "check" button in the update Android section.  You have to wait until your number is called from Google's OTA servers.  That is very disappointing after coming from the Evo 4G, which had a check system in place to satisfy the curious.  It would make more sense that you'd give it to people here on these forums first by allowing them to check and root out the bugs.  HOWEVER, that goes against Sprint's "New Handset Vision" (similar to the New Network Vision) of not listening to anyone but themselves for fixes, bugs and overall user experience.  If it didn't happen in their little sound room, it doesn't exist in the real world.  I know there are reps here on the forums that are saying they pass on our information and I'm sure they do, but I'm very certain that it doesn't go anywhere in that next level.

Honestly, I have no idea why they have chosen this model.  I thought maybe it was more secure or something, but it doesn't matter....once a developer gets their hands on the OTA, they zip it up and make it available.  They should make all OTA's manually downloadable instantly upon announcement.  On top of that, the bootloader on these phones isn't locked, so its not like there's anything overly difficult about ROMs and such for this phone.  Also, I always suspect that these "leaks" aren't really leaks and they are released on purpose so the Samsung devs can reach a bigger audience to test issues.  But clearly that doesn't happen either, because they never seem to get to issues that arise instantly on these OTA roms. 

Oh well, what can you do.  Oh wait, that's right, root and install different software.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the update pushed and see a few changes.. but the biggest change is that I can't answer my phone any more     I was told I need to go to a Sprint store, but I'm hoping they do an OTA fix. 

Highlighted
Master

The device team and Samsung have identified a scenario with "reject call with message" that will cause this force close issue.  If you have more than 5 “reject call with message” messages set up, you may have the force close issue.  A “reject call with message” message is the message that you can send via text when you choose to reject an inbound phone call.  The default number of messages is 5; if there are more than 5 custom messsages the force close condition will occur.  

This issue will be fixed in the next software update.  As a temporary fix, delete the messages from the “reject call with message” message list.

To do this, go to Menu > Settings > Call settings > Reject with message.  You will see the complete list of available messages and you need to ensure it contains no more than 5 entries.  If the list contains more than 5, choose the menu key and select “delete”.  You should see a select option box next to each message. Check the box next to the message that should be removed and select 'delete' one last time.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/390305#390305

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Tech Support able to push this update to my phone or must I wait for the Google servers to push the update? My 4G drops at times when Im in the same area and then when it searches, it reconnects. Currently on EK02.

Highlighted
Wizard

TRISH8 wrote:

Is Tech Support able to push this update to my phone or must I wait for the Google servers to push the update? My 4G drops at times when Im in the same area and then when it searches, it reconnects. Currently on EK02.

No. You'll get it within the next 8 days automatically when the servers decide your phone is worthy.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat