10/10 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Ability to edit internal out of office message on Email 

- VPN access over 3G fix

- MMS send/receive over 3G fix 

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FI27

- Released in stages to devices over a 14-21 day time period.

- Refer to Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01- added time period for update

118 REPLIES 118
Highlighted
Journeyman

awesome thank you . worked like a charm 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi SPRINTSHARMA2,

It sounds like all you did was switch to the Samsung profile in the SprintID app which is the TouchWiz skin that Samsung adds on top of th stock Android experience.  By selecting a different profile you get a new set of home screens that are unique to that profile so any widgets/apps/home screen customization that you did in the profile you were previously using don't show up in the new profile.  They don't disappear, they are still saved as part of the previous profile, they just don't show up in the new profile.  If you simply open SprintID and choose the profile you were previously using, all of the customization you did should still be there.  I assume you were using the stock Android profile.  As far as I know, SprintID was not added as part of the FI27 update, it has always been there, although you know better than me if SprintID was on your phone or not.  In any event, try opening SprintID again and selecting the profile you were previously using (Android) and see if your old home screens come back up.

If you already knew all this then I misunderstood your post and I apologize for the redundant info.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

For all of those who have FI27 battery problem (or even maybe applied for previous software version as well).

Like I previously posted, one of my daughter's phone after updating to FI27 had battery problem.  She did a re-calibration and that got rid of the issue, her phone now could go something like 2 days before needing a charge.

I had the same issue after updating my phone to FI27 last Monday.  My daughter gave me the recipe below.  I applied it and it seems to work.  I also enclose the screen capture of battery state before and after the re-calibration (I was trying to have the phone usage with similar use for the two cases).  I recall I did see similar instructions before but I wondered how could it fix the battery problem.  But now thinking back, if this actually would re-calibrate the battery measurement on the phone, and it really makes sense.

Here are the steps:

1) drain all of your battery untill phone shuts down

2) turn on and drain battery until phone shuts down ( repeat until you are unable to turn the phone on- this step is very important because we need to drain the battery competely)

3) take the battery out and wait 5 seconds or so and put it back in

4) Charge the battery while the phone is off

5) when the charge is 100%, take the charger off for about 1 min. then charge again to get 100% again

6) turn on your phone and enjoy your new battery

Here is the screen capture of the phone before battery re-calibration:

before-re-calibration.png

AFter re-calibration:

after-re-calibration.png

My only remaining question is that: What is Android OS doing, if I can get android OS to work a third of the time, I can save the battery even more.  Come on Google, you can do better than that.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just installed the FI27 update and I see no change from before.  My phone is still losing 5% an hour

doing absolutely nothing.  This is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Master

Android OS is the catch-all that everything falls under when it isn't tied to a specific application. So for example, any application that utilizes the GPS, WiFi, system files, etc. will have some usage under "Android OS". 99.9% of the time battery drain is application based, and Android itself doesn't break down the actual usage very well. It gives you a general idea as evidenced, but doesn't get to the specific issues. I usually recommend something like BetterBatteryStats when attempting to figure out what apps are draining the battery. It can be setup to monitor wakelocks that apps initiate to prevent the phone from sleeping, etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After installing FI27, Sprint ID (which I guess is now called mobile ID), will not let me switch from the stock launcher to Touchwiz. When I open it and select "Samsung" from the ID packs, it just sits there and says "Please wait". It has been on that for 20 minutes now. Anyone else having this problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

David71a,

Yes, after my last post I noticed I am having the same problem, although for me the app is still called Sprint ID.  I click on the Samsung ID

pack and I get an endless "Please wait" message.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BadgerFan73 wrote:

David71a,

Yes, after my last post I noticed I am having the same problem, although for me the app is still called Sprint ID.  I click on the Samsung ID

pack and I get an endless "Please wait" message.

Just another one of the many reasons I am likely going to cancel my Sprint contract, get the Nexus 4 unlocked and switch to prepaid.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone updated today and I also had the Sprint ID issues with phone freezing and then the error message.  I also couldn't update the PRL. I opted to do the factory reset since it solved my son's problems.  So far so good with the Sprint ID issue.  What's weird is on my son's phone it's Mobile ID and on my phone it's still Sprint ID.  My son has had the update for about a 1 1/2 wks and no issues that he's complaining about.  Battery life is better and his phone is more responsive.

Neither my phone or my son's phone can lock in on GPS.  We keep getting the error message that our location is temporarily unavailable.  I'm hoping it's just a glitch due to the Airave not working properly.  I'll have to wait and play around when we're out and about since I can't lock in on GPS in our house without the airave. 

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

kiki3469 wrote:

Neither my phone or my son's phone can lock in on GPS.  We keep getting the error message that our location is temporarily unavailable.  I'm hoping it's just a glitch due to the Airave not working properly.  I'll have to wait and play around when we're out and about since I can't lock in on GPS in our house without the airave. 

Kiki,

For GPS issue you may want to try this.  Take the phone outside with visible sky, start a GPS app.  I usually use "GPS Test" it tells you how many satellites the phone is seeing etc. (also make sure you have Home->Settings->Location Services setting: at least the top 3 boxes are checked.  I have all 4 of my boxes checked).  Wait for a satellite fix.

This first fix is important.  The GPS Test app also tells you how long it takes to get a fix (clicking the circle icon on bottom left corner).  Once you have the first fix, the phone will get the subsequent fix faster.  You mayneed to do the same if you switch off your phone then turn it on in a different city.

Hope this helps.

HB

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you, HB.  I will definitely try that. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a heads up when you check the battery the phone idle fluctuates a lot to say the least.  When I checked mine the first time after texting back & forth with a friend for a bit it was 4-5% per hour.  I checked my son's phone to see what his was and his was 1% an hour.  I rechecked mine and it was down to 2%/hr.  Checked a bit later down to 1%/hr.  It's not an accurate reading of standby time if you're checking from settings-battery. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat