10/10 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Ability to edit internal out of office message on Email 

- VPN access over 3G fix

- MMS send/receive over 3G fix 

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FI27

- Released in stages to devices over a 14-21 day time period.

- Refer to Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01- added time period for update

118 REPLIES 118
Highlighted
Journeyman

I recently roamed and found that if you have the Roam Guard off or the Roaming Settings unchecked - either one that the phone no longer automatically connects.  Checking the boxes then allowed it to connect.  Hope this helps.

Journeyman

I dont know when you people will learn that Sprint has no interest is making this right.  They have moved on to screwing up some other device and just like other smart phones in the past that they have abandoned THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THIS ONE.

My advice.  Move to another carrier even if it cost you an ETF.  You will be happier.  Trust me, Ive done this and the product the other V carrier provides is night and day better.

Do you really think that Sprint can pound their chest about their "customer service awards" ... PLEASE SPARE ME !

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dont know when you people will learn that Sprint has no interest is making this right.  They have moved on to screwing up some other device and just like other smart phones in the past that they have abandoned THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THIS ONE.

My advice.  Move to another carrier even if it cost you an ETF.  You will be happier.  Trust me, Ive done this and the product the other V carrier provides is night and day better.

Do you really think that Sprint can pound their chest about their "customer service awards" ... PLEASE SPARE ME !

Highlighted
Journeyman

I respectfully disagree... but then again I don't expect a carrier to hold my hand on a device like this.

As far as I'm concerned a smartphone is much more comparable to a PC than a phone - which means you can't rely on sales support.

So I go out and find out more in the user communities, much like I did when starting to learn more about PCs.

If they didn't support the phone you wouldn't see JB coming out.  (It's in development, last confirmed build 11/3 and 4.1.2)

If they weren't planning on supporting the phone longer you wouldn't see it just rolling out on it's prepaid brands nor a Titanium color being released for $99 over the holidays.

And the biggest problem - causing many people's reboots - is actually a faulty battery.

Now I have another handicap - I'm not technically on Sprint but an MVNO with little/no technical support.

If you need that support and you're happier with another carrier then please be happy and move on.

Instead your post seems to want to encourage others to boycott Sprint - on their own site.

It's all about expecations and for better or worse yours seem to not match the service by Sprint.  It does for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thats your choice to disagree.  But when you buy a phone and are being pushed updates (whether you like it or not) and there are issues with those updates and there is no support from the manufacturer or the service provider you actually think its the users fault?  You actually think they have the responsibility to research and fix their own phones?  You mean we cant expect to have a working device that performs as advertised or like it did when we originally purchased?

While Im perfectly technical enough to do exactly what you have stated by using the resources of XDA developers and other it should not be something that anyone has to do. 

When the Sprint stores, tier 3 tech support, and the moderators on this site have abandoned ship and can offer no solutions then the facts are staring everyone in the face.  THEY CANT AND WONT FIX THESE ISSUES.

And dont even get me started about the 4g or 4g lte coverage drops and that entire chain of lies. 

I think that as a customer of sprints for over 13 years and being a guinny pig for several devices I have every right to tell anyone and everyone that will listen to.  MOVE ON TO ANOTHER CARRIER.  YOU WILL BE HAPPIER!

That is all!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Updates are always optional.  Not a single update that I am aware of is or was mandatory.

Perhaps it would be better then, in your opinion, that Sprint does what many others do for Samsung - rely on the user to hook the phone up to Kies and download/apply the update on their own.  I can tell you from personal experience that many users on those devices are still on GB not because they don't want ICS but that they simply didn't know it was available.  Funny how they wished their carriers allowed an OTA like Sprint does.  Once again it's all about perception and expectations.

FI27 is now a 40% improvement over FF18 in signal for me, verified using OpenSignalMaps. While I do know end users that complain about issues - signals and reboots primarily - they are still happy with the phone.  So much that they still recommend it to family and friends. That doesn't sound like a customer base ready to jump ship.

If I leave my MVNO of Sprint it will be because they are a competitor of Softbank and may not survive the deal.  Until then they continue to beat every other plan out there for what I need - decent service at a decent price.  Your new carrier used to charge me $500 a month for the same plan.  Excuse me if I'm not chomping at the bit to go back to that.

As you said, you're entitled to your opinion... it's a free world.  I'm entitled to counter that opinion with another one.  Let people decide for themselves which way they prefer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@garwynn

"Updates are always optional."  While I agree with this statement, the update reminder that pops up without ceasing is such an annoyance that it's literally the only reason I moved to FI27 (or ICS, in the first place).  It would constantly pop up at the worst times, disrupting my work/play flow.  If I had an option to turn off that update reminder, I would still be happily running GB.  So, yes, it's optional, but you either have the option of risking an update ruining your phone, or having a constant, nagging reminder ruin your experience.  It's lose-lose for the user.

I'm not saying that what Sprint does is unethical or illegal or anything, but it's stupid, in my opinion, if you'd like to keep users happy.

Show them the update reminder, give them the option to update or not, have that be that.  Why is that so difficult?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I always find it rather humorous when people come on here saying they will leave if a problem doesn't get fixed, or that they switched to Big Red and are completely happy...Sprint doesn't care...they have millions and millions of customers and your one little account did not matter to them. Plain and simple. If you switch to Big Red and are happy with locked bootloaders and slow updates then good for you, no one in this community cares either. And to agree with garwynn...yes, I think it is up to the customer to make minor fixes to your device to make it work how you want it to. There is no way an update can be perfect for the masses on the device. There will be bugs, there will be issues, deal with it. Go on a verizon website (or any other carrier for that matter) and you will see the same people complaining about not getting updates and threatning to leave the carrier. People will always complain no matter the hand they are dealt, and Sprint is actually trying (believe it or not). They are pushing out updates to this phone, and they continue to do so. If you do not like the way they do it, luckily for you this is America and you have the right to choose another carrier. Me, I prefer to have unlimited data and somewhat timely updates. I can deal with bugs or issues, because I know there is a solution and they are just working on it. Just be patient, and if you can't there is always rooting or pay your ETF and try again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

John,

Agree that's a flaw with the OTA process and thankfully folks on XDA came up with a way to stop that.  Considering we're one of the few carriers that gets an OTA versus making users check via Kies, I'll take knowing there's an update.  A coworker on Tmo didn't know about it until I mentioned it - nor did my SIL on a Japanese carrier.  Why?  No notice on the phones, Kies only... and neither used Kies before.

If JB turns out even remotely close to the leaked engineering build it will revitalize this phone and make it quite competitive against the GS3, especially if you don't need LTE.  (I use Wi-Fi 95% of the time so 3G/4G are off in most cases.)  (Promised Sprint that I won't link - you can find it by searching for FJ10.  Soon add my tag and you'll find it rooted.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re:  Sprint F127 GS2 - It WORKS!  Try this:

I installed OTA F127 recently.  Phone screwed up in MANY ways,  I did a hard reset (without device sd-card deletion).  I did not use the factory reset under Privacy setting, I used the Power + Volume buttons. 

While I watched it reload, I noticed it said "Finishing update" soon after reset started.  It must have been the F127 update. 

My GS2 /Epic 4G Touch works GREAT now!  Low CPU usage, no freezing, battery lasts much longer!  :laugh: 

Be sure and backup your apps so you can keep your settings.

Highlighted
Journeyman

how did you reset it using the Power + volume buttons?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat