10/10 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Ability to edit internal out of office message on Email 

- VPN access over 3G fix

- MMS send/receive over 3G fix 

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FI27

- Released in stages to devices over a 14-21 day time period.

- Refer to Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01- added time period for update

118 REPLIES 118
Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the update yesterday and my battery drain problems are worse than ever. Everytime I do *anything* on my phone the battery starts draining at a rate of 30%+/hr. When I checked in on foursquare yesterday for the first time after the update, my battery drain app reported a -3856/hr battery drain. I don't even know how that's possible, but it sure made the phone angry. Looking at a website and checking in to foursquare should be REALLY basic phone operations at this point and should not be so taxing on my phone. On gingerbread, I never had any of these problems. ICS has been bad from day 1, but this new update takes the cake on pwning my battery. So if I check something online for 5 minutes I see my battery drop 2-3%. The "stand-by" battery drain rate is now about 11% an hour. On the previous update it was about 7% an hour, which is still hidieous, but the battery drain on FI27 is a new level of insanity. I don't have a cell phone anymore, I have a car phone and a landline since this thing has to be plugged in constantly to work. If I'm using it, it lasts for 3 hours. This is completely unacceptable. So much for this update being a FIX to the problems. IT MADE IT WORSE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

after the update you should do a factory reset and also might wanna get a new battery and try an app like juice defeneder or even better root your phone and instead a rom and follow their methods on batttery saves such as under clocking and stuff im getting about 9 hr with heavy uses due to soical networks dating apps and online browsing also i text a lot .... just do your search i have been fixing and tweaking with a lot of my friends s2 and e4gt

Highlighted
Journeyman

billysorock wrote:

after the update you should do a factory reset and also might wanna get a new battery and try an app like juice defeneder or even better root your phone and instead a rom and follow their methods on batttery saves such as under clocking and stuff im getting about 9 hr with heavy uses due to soical networks dating apps and online browsing also i text a lot .... just do your search i have been fixing and tweaking with a lot of my friends s2 and e4gt

When you factory reset, isn't there an option to format the intenral memory also? If so, do you format the internal memory?

Highlighted
Journeyman

no i just do the factory reset in setting and privacy also its good to format your sd card also

Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery is a lot worse after this update as well.  I just got the update yesterday and everything seemed OK but this morning the OS is just eating my battery.  Down to 44% battery left after about 6 hours off the charger.  Usually about this time I'd be around 60%ish battery left.   So far not happy with this update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

billysorock wrote:

no i just do the factory reset in setting and privacy also its good to format your sd card also

Thanks.I what looks like system files in the /Android/data directory in my internal memory, so didn't know if getting rid of that would help. Once I get FI27 I will do a factory reset and not format internal memory.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did anyone else notice that with this update the google search bar (googlesearch.apk) completely removed itself? I used it alot and BOOM its gone... i tried resetting my phone to see if it came back and it did not.. its completely removed with FI27

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ditto on the battery drain.  Battery drain is exteremely rapid.  Within 4 hours; down to 19% from full charge...not even using it.  Stock phone; no ROM...nothing.  Was even running Juice Defender in Balanced Mode.  This is insane....extremely disappointing!!!

EDIT: Android OS shows 58% Battery usage.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just did a factory reset to see if this will help.  Crossing my fingers

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got my update yesterday.  Only took about 5 minutes to complete.  I rebooted again after it informed it was done. 

I haven't noticed any great improvement in signal...or any real difference in battery life (it might be a bit better). 

The phone was randomly locking up.  I would have to pull the battery to get it to function again.  I haven't had that happen...yet.  (2 days)  Wimax seems to be a little smoother, but it's so spotty here I can't really tell for sure.

I do think the new "apps" are pretty rediculous.  A shortcut to Play Magazines?  really?  I guess it was too hard to go to the market and click on magazines.  LOL.

So far, so good!  Now, we wait for my wife's phone to get the update....

Highlighted
Journeyman

The battery is running dead again.  "Keep WiFi on during sleep : Only when plugged in" leaves WiFi stuck on continously.  Doesn't Sprint have basic regression testing for software updates?  This is pathetic, especially since it was a recently fixed bug and Sprint sends out annoying messages about how to save battery life using WiFi.

Maybe I'd complain less if the phone could maintain a data cell connection while standing still outdoors in an area supposedly having excellent 3G and 4G coverage.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue in Central Ohio!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat