10/10 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Ability to edit internal out of office message on Email 

- VPN access over 3G fix

- MMS send/receive over 3G fix 

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FI27

- Released in stages to devices over a 14-21 day time period.

- Refer to Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01- added time period for update

118 REPLIES 118
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got the update and i noticed that my phone uses up the processor and it slows down dramatically. I have 2 galaxy s2's and one has been updated and the other hasnt and the one that hasnt been updated runs fine but the same programs run on the updated one lag the phone or even lock it up. when i am finally able to exit it, it shows the program sucking up all the cpu. kind of wish i didnt update the phone makes no sense. Basic programs even make the CPU run so slow.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Over the past few days (I updated to FI27 about 5 days ago), some interesting problems have developed, and I wonder if anyone has any idea how to fix.  I'll list my problems and the steps I have taken to troubleshoot.  First things first, I've got an Epic 4G Touch (SPH D710) running 4.04 with FI27, non-rooted (has never been rooted).

Problems:

1.  Random power cycling - I have not seen any sort of a pattern to the power cycling.  It has happened in chrome, the stock browser, gallery, messaging, maps, with no apps opened whatsoever... you name it, the phone has power cycled there.  It has even started power cycling when the phone is plugged in and charging.

2.  Power button malfunctioning - The power buttons functions are unreliable, at best.  It will work properly one minute, and then go haywire the next.  It malfunctions in a couple ways, and neither of these malfunctions are predictable in any way, and they will happen in any random order.  On any screen besides standby, when the power button is pressed (not held), it will bring up the Silent Mode, Airplane Mode, Power Off, Restart option window.  On any screen besides standby, the power button will do nothing (will not send screen to standby with quick press, will not bring up aforementioned "Silent Mode" window when held).  Like I said, it's completely random.  One press might bring up the "Silent Mode" window, the next press might do nothing at all. 

Troubleshooting:

1.  Soft reset

2.  Hard reset

3.  Wipe USB storage

4.  Clear cache

5.  Smash head against wall

I'm at a loss.

I don't want to take it to a service center just to have them flash a working ROM to my phone and pay them $35 to fix a problem Spring/Samsung created in the first place.  That just seems wrong to me. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Count my phone in with those having issues with F127.  My son's phone had no issues at all.  As a matter a fact, it fixed all his issues.  My phone, didn't do so well.  At first it seemed ok, but I did notice the battery draining quicker.  Now I'm dealing with random menu pop ups, which seems to happen when I have a weaker signal.  It's to the point of the phone not it being usuable unless you have a good signal.  I have the freezing issue, which again is more so when I have a weaker signal.  Then the battery issues.  If I have to restart my phone the battery will drop from 50-60% down to 3-4%.  Basically 'unless I have a great signal my phone is useless after this update. 

I took it in to my local Sprint corporate store today and usually I'm very happy with the service there.  Not today.  When I went in I told them the issues with freezing and random menu pop ups usually happen with a weaker signal so they probably won't have the issue in the store with a good signal.  I had taken a screen shot of my battery usuage to show how it dropped rapidly.  You can clearly see in the graph the batter was around midpoint and then a sudden drop to almost dead.  I showed them that as well.  When I went to pick up my phone I figured at the least they'd replace the battery since I do pay for insurance every month.  Nope!  They did nothing to it.  They told me there was nothing wrong with it.  When I left the store the battery was at 70%.  I live 1.5 miles away from the store and in that 10 minute drive my batter drained down to 61% doing nothing.  Of course, now we have the random menu pop ups and freezing. 

I called Sprint and I will say that experience was better than in the store.  I was told my battery should've been replaced free of charge because of the insurance.  Now I have to go back up to the Sprint store.  Initially they were going to replace the battery, but I swapped batteries with my son's phone and I stil have random menu pop ups and freezing.  I've restarted the phone a few times and haven't experienced the rapid battery drain though.  I'm thinking it's both the phone and the battery.  I just want a working phone again.  On a side note, I did make a video with my son's phone to show the random menu pop ups and I have screen shots showing the rapid battery drain when restarting. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Forgot to add when I dropped off my phone the woman ahead of me was dropping off her S2 due to random menu pop ups.  The chances of having 2 customers come in at the same time with the same problem I would think don't happen that often unless there's an issue with the phone. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is going on.  Just got the update about a week ago and i'm having horrible battery issues...I'm not sure if it's a coincedence, but I see other users here are having issues as well.  

I charge my phone 100 percent and I use it for a few minutes and my screen flickers and shuts the phone down.  I purchased the phone in feb, so it hasn't been even a year yet. 

We can't use our phones for more than a few minutes.  Come on sprint issue an update to fix this battery issue.   It has to be the update.  What a coincedence a bunch of folks have the same exact issue on here recently.  It could be these batteries are reaching their end of life, but I doubt this is the case. 

I have other issues with this update, but the battery issue is bothering me the most because I can't even use the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Everyone check your battery if it blown up a bit. Because, my issue was bad battery. I most certain that it happend after ICS updates.

Anyway, i hope they release Jelly Bean soon enough or Sprint going to lose many customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery was blown up, when I put it on a flat surface I was able to spin it for a while.  I am ordering a new battery...but I am *very concerned* that getting the new battery will only help the issue for a little while (a week or so) since we ALL received this update recently and it seems to have destroyed our phone usage in a matter of days.

I will post my new battery results on here when I receive it.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

kiki3469 wrote:

Count my phone in with those having issues with F127.  My son's phone had no issues at all.  As a matter a fact, it fixed all his issues.  My phone, didn't do so well.  At first it seemed ok, but I did notice the battery draining quicker.  Now I'm dealing with random menu pop ups, which seems to happen when I have a weaker signal.  It's to the point of the phone not it being usuable unless you have a good signal.  I have the freezing issue, which again is more so when I have a weaker signal.  Then the battery issues.  If I have to restart my phone the battery will drop from 50-60% down to 3-4%.  Basically 'unless I have a great signal my phone is useless after this update. 

Kiki all those who have battery problem after ICS update, please try my previous post here in the link below.  It helped mine and my daughter's phone.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/494854#494854

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

My Samsung Galaxy S II (Epic 4G Touch) phone, following the most recent Samsung manditory update, immediately lost the capacity to operate at 4G speeds with app data on the Internet, during a customer service person's fix attempt losr, for a short time until fixed, the capability to make or receivie telephone calls, and the SPRINT ID program would die every 10 minutes until I went to applications running and STOPped the running of all copies of Sprint ID. Right now I have found a way to get 4G working and am trying to find the most recent copy or Sprint ID to reinstall it and see if that might fix the misfunctioning program. The assigned case # from customer svc. for this problem  is case#: 1234595690092031250.

D. Ray

Trenton, NJ

Highlighted
Wizard

Could we get a Sprint employee to reply to us!?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having the same old problems: battery drain, locking up, rebooting, nonresponsive, etc.  I did the factory reset, wiped out the cache and the routine steps and it did not help.  Over the weekend, I moved it back to Android 2.3.6 which is the Gingerbread version that came with mine and guess what?  It works fine again!  Battery life is 105,456 times better, no locking up or rebooting, etc.  Gingerbread works! 

The phone keeps showing a message from Sprint to update the software and I am denying it.  I like my phone working. 

Sprint needs to get working with Samsung to fix this problem.  They both rely on each other and they both lose if they don't fix this.  This problem has gone on too long and neither Sprint nor Samsung are taking accountability for this mess.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed that roaming is disabled again.  I get cell bars but no roaming triangle.  Instead, there's a truncated alert saying I have no service.

It makes me think that Sprint's techs are a bunch of monkeys hammering on keyboards until a QA tester says that the phone looks like the pictures of working phones that are taped to the wall.

I will bring it back to the store and demand a fix or a refund. I'm tired of this.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat