Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12/7 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EK02

Highlighted
Wizard

N301DQ,

As with any software update or change there is the possibility for errors. Have you tried any troubleshooting since updating the software? In the past I can tell you that when experiencing issues after a software update a good majority of issues overall have been known to be resolved by just resetting the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Resetting the device did nothing. Updating the profile/PRL/check for firmware did nothing. Rolling back to EG30 fixed the issues.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: 12/7 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EK02

Ok, that's good information, thank you. Because we just started rolling out the software we have not had a lot of people reporting what your describing. When you started experiencing the issue where the radio appears to stop working, I read in your post you had to power cycle, was there any other way you found that would get the data flowing again? Such as toggling the radio in settings. Also have you tried reinstalling the update to see if the same issue occurs?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, I couldn't find any other way to get data going again. I tried airplane mode, I tried airplane mode with just WiFi on, and toggling mobile data on/off and none of those worked. Webpages timeout, the Market times out, etc. Rebooting does the trick.

I haven't received the OTA again to reinstall, so I haven't had a chance to try. I will do so once I get the OTA option again.

Highlighted

N301DQ - what about doing a factory reset and then installing the update? I know that may take time plus adding everything back in but just as with computers, sometimes updates require a "total refresh" of the system. The update just doesn't install correctly. Good Luck

Highlighted
Journeyman

i still didn't get the friggen update!

Highlighted
Master

@N301DQ

You say rolling back to EG30 fixed the issue. Have you tried updating again to EK02 after doing so? To get back to the older version you would have had to reflash all of the system files to a clean slate, which is the ideal place for any software update to start from. It could simply be that the previous update flashed badly the first time, it happens. Updating a second time may not have the same effect. I updated manually from EG30 to EK02 using the zip file from XDA and I haven't had a single issue with connections or LOS since doing so. The only place I lost service since that update, I was in a known dead zone, no carrier has service there. You can force a Google GOTA checkin by gonig to the dialer and typing *#*#CHECKIN#*#* (That's *#*#2432546#*#*). This will have your phone check in with Google's over the air update servers to see if there is an update available. It can take a few minutes after doing so before the server responds to the request, and you may not see any kind of confirmation on the screen, just the update notification again. The phones only check in automatically once a week I believe to see if there are updates available.

Bad software flashes, while annoying, are not entirely uncommon when working with a complex system like this. Android's ecosystem is just about as complex as it can get. There is no way to determine what installed applications may conflict with an update, and a corrupted file that may not have been needed by the system often before the update may need to be patched during the update, and when that fails the whole thing comes crashing down. This is why doing a hard reset or a complete software reflash to a device when it is having weird issues few others are having usually resolves the issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

Anyone in this forum running into this problem after the update or have any information on this?

I was just using my phone like normal today at work when all of a sudden the phone began decrypting my SDcard without being prompted to do so.  When it was finished, I noticed that the "Device Encryption" section of the "Location and security" settings had been completely removed.  Not just greyed out, but gone altogether.

Please check out this post and reply if you have any information to share, thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have not gotten the update yet so I was trying to force the Google service to start it....all I get is invalid and the call does nothing....I am dialing the *#*#checkin#*#*....what am I doing wrong....

Highlighted
Journeyman

@halcyoncmdr123

I've tried doing the checkin to no avail. When I had a Nexus S and Nexus One, punching that in would definitely do a manual checkin. Not seeing it have any effect on my Epic Touch. I've typed the numbers in and let it sit, and called. Neither works.

I still don't have an update notification, so I'll wait for that to update again.

@mrcminnesota

I did do a full wipe (of both the data and cache partitions) after the issues occurred. They were still happening afterwards. The only fix for me was to manually flash the original EG30 OS.

Highlighted
Wizard

BOOTYGUARD671g,

It's being sent out in waves slowly, so it could be all the way up until 12/17 before you receive it.

N301DQ,

Have you tried what halcyoncmdr123 or I suggested with reinstalling back to EK02 since the hard reset and revert back to original software?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ive been following this blog eagerly.  I tried the manual update from XDA.  When I reset the phone, the WIFI radio

came on for about 15 seconds, tried to find networks and shut down.  After doing this several times, I decided to

take your advice and I reset the phone using the "factory reset" function in the Hard Reset menu and start with

clean wipe.  Well after trying to reboot the phone, it never gets past the initial android logo.  Is this what I've

heard as bricked  ?  Any ideas on where to go from here ?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat