cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Yesterday I went to Sprint, Bay Shore, NY to get my JB update.

After 40 minutes of fiddling around the tech told me he couldn't do the download

and to come back in 3 weeks.

Anyone else have this problem?

Journeyman

I did too and they had no idea what I was talking about. They told me that the update has been pushed back till the 1st of April but funny thing is the forums are saying different. I ended up doing it myself on Kies.

Master

I'll try to answer several things at once here.

The update is OVER THE WIRE ONLY, there will be NO OTA update for this due to the file size. It must be updated using a computer. It can be updated through Samsung KIES, or a standalone downloadable file available from the support pages on Sprint.com and Samsung.com.

The triage systems in the store did not receive the update immediately (this is normal), that released was delayed. Our triage system in my store had the update isntalled when we turned it on this morning, but it can sometimes take a few days to roll out to all triage systems nationwide. The update in the store is exactly the same update package as the standalone non-KIES download from Samsung.com and Sprint.com

The homescreens being reset to defaults are expected with the software update, a limitation in the way the old info is stored prevents it from transferring over to the new Jelly Bean format. As far as I know, this is the only customer information that is wiped during the update process, everything else is maintained.

As with all major software updates, even though your information is retained after the update, I recommend doing a hard reset and starting from scratch. There is no way to tell whether any files are corrupted in the upgrade process or otherwise causing an incompatibility with the new system files and apps. These weird occurences are common on all Android software updates from every manufacturer and carrier. So many files are used in the regular process of Android operation and if any are messed up at all it can cause issues.

Battery life issues likely could be battery-related not the phone. A service and repair store can test the battery and determine whether that is the likely cause for any battery issues. Batteries going from one percentage to another after a battery pull likely are the battery itself reporting its capacity incorrectly, not the phone itself. Also you can check at home by putting your battery on a level surface and spinning it. If the battery spins more than once or so, it is likely the cells inside have bloated up and are not maintaining a charge adequately. You should be able to determine if the battery is bloated pretty easily using theis method. Batteries are covered by the manufacturer's warranty within 1 year of purchase, after that they are not covered even with Sprint's protection plans (the plans only cover the device itself, not any consumables or accessories).

Highlighted
Journeyman

On this forum it was stated to get the JB update to take the phone to a Sprint store for the download, which I did.

I can wait. My only real issue is the battery strength which it pitifull at best.

Thankls for your reply.

Journeyman

Thank you for responding with the tip on checking the battery.  My battery seems to be fine. I'll have to make some time next week to have it looked at.  I also don't think this was update related as I've had battery issues in the past on this phone.  I wish I would've done a hard reset prior to installing the update.  It would've saved me a lot of time.  Lesson learned for the future.  Thanks again.

Journeyman

I've had a little higher than normal battery drain since the JB update. I now lose a few hours off of my normal runtime with ICS. I did not do a factory reset before installing.

Now I'm getting "Unfortuneatley, settings has stopped" every single time I try to go into the SETTINGS menu.  I'll try a reset first and then take it into the store for a wipe afterwards if it does not help.

This error only showed up today.  I flashed JB the day Sprint released the update.

Journeyman

i did the update to jb a few days ago on my phone and everything was great but it didnt last long since i had to replace it due to multiple cracks on the screen. so i got the new phone and did the update to jb again but i noticed a few different things, first off was the scrolling on the home screen, it would scroll straight across between screens but on my old one it scrolled differently like an in and out effect? i had nova launcher but that wasnt the issue since i didnt use it. not a big deal but i just liked it. second is the annoying "choose input method" notification i always get when typing. anyone know how to get rid of that?

Journeyman

I did the update last night and am experiencing the same problem along with a slightly higher than normal battery drain. I try to open the Settings menu and get the same message: "Unfortunately Settings has stopped" and it exits.  I've tried restarting, powering down and removing the battery, and nothing changes. Anybody...?

Journeyman

I found a workaround for the Settings Stopped issue by turning off Bluetooth.  I can then get into Setting menu and do what I need and then turn BT back on.  Maybe this will work for you too.  Good luck.  Hopefully we'll get a permanent fix to this issue.

Journeyman

Some of the most irritating things can be solved so simply... it worked for me.  As you stated, maybe they'll come up with a permanent fix before too long.  I can see where this is gonna get irritating again real quick!  Thanks for figuring that one out!!!

Journeyman

To anyone flashing this:

I highly recommend anyone flashing this to start JB off on a clean slate and then pass judgement.

The Kies (Over-the-wire) method is what we call a "nodata" update where it keeps your data intact.  That's convenient for users so they don't have any issues.  However, not everything plays nice with updates and if a user has done all of the updates since 2011 that's quite a bit of data that could be lingering.

In this case I do compare it to Windows - I don't use a registry cleaner, I just wipe it out, reinstall and put what data I need on there to avoid anything else bugging up the system.  It's a good part of the reason why I make those full restore solutions on XDA.

To Sprint CSRs/"Buzz Techs" (Are you still called that?),

Sources inform that internal docs suggest that this is the final update for the Galaxy S II - at least for Sprint. 

Is there any way of getting a confirmation on that?

Thank you.

Journeyman

FWIW,  I did a factory reset and the settings menu issue hasn't happened again.   I can also confirm yesterday that disabling Bluetooth restored access to the settings menu.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat