cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Wizard

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Google OS upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1

Important Notes:

- The software version is GB27

- This update is available Over-the-Wire only.  To install this upgrade, visit a Sprint Service & Repair Center

or download it from Samsung's website.

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update blog for information on previous software versions.

102 REPLIES 102
Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

I installed the GB27 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update using Kies.  I installed Kies on my laptop, added the correct USB drivers for the Epic Touch, connected the phone and once I launched Kies the update was waiting.  It took longer to install Kies and the correct USB drivers than it did to do the update.  I'm running Windows 7 and the previous software on my phone was SSmiley Very Happy710.10S.FI27 as I could never get the FL24 update to install.

Wizard

After people update to GB27, you will notice that the shutter sound has gotten even louder after the update!

To fix this without root, a community member here named Billard has created a tool that doesn't need to root your phone, doesn't trip the flash counter and doesn't change the status from official.  It's an easy one click tool that you download on a Windows PC, extract, connect your phone (in download mode, instructions are there), and hit GO.  About 10 mintues later, Shutter toggle is there!

Since this is the last update for this phone and its EOL, Sprint, please don't remove this post.

Go to XDA Developers and search " [MOD][ODIN]Add Camera Shutter Sound Toggle NO ROOT! "  YOU MUST BE ON GB27 first before you do this.

He developed this upon my request and is a very nice guy.  If you use this tool, please consider throwing him a few bucks, theres's a donate button on XDA for him and its safe and secure through paypal.  This isn't his main job and he takes countless hours developing for this stuff. 

Enjoy!

Journeyman

im scared... I'm scared and scarred after ICS and 2 batteries later...  I am on GB right now... If I want JB I have to go into the sprint store right?

Journeyman

I checked Kies last night and it didn’t have the update. How do I get the correct USB driver? Do you like JB? Thanks

Journeyman

Last night was the first time I ever installed Kies and there was an update to Kies I was prompted to install.  After getting the USB drivers from the Samsung website, I connected the phone to the USB port, launched Kies and it read the current software on the phone and then said there was an update available.  The update was JellyBean.  But if you go to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads and put the model number in, it will take you to an executable file for the update as well.  Seems great so far, bunches of options.  Will see how the battery life does.

Journeyman

I downloaded this yesterday by first installing Samsung's Kies software into my laptop and then connecting my phone to the laptop over USB.  Once the laptop installed the phone's drivers, I received a note from Kies telling me that a new update was available for my phone.  It prompted me to backup my device (I did not).  I agreed to the download and downloaded/installed the update. 

It took about 30 minutes to download and anothe 10 minutes to install the update.

Bingo!

Jelly Bean is fantastic!  It is smooth and fixes many of the existing problems that came with prior updates.  My battery life is good and my apps were all there -- with the exception of the Associated Press (AP) Mobile widget.  However, I quickly reinstalled the app/widget.  The app looks a little different, but it works.  All of the other apps and widgets are fine. 

Battery life - Fantastic!  My battery was at 90% when I decided to update.  I downloaded and installed the update, updated some apps and played with it quite a bit (a couple of hours) last night.  I awoke to about 60% of the battery still remaining!

GPS is great!

4G - I also noticed that the 4G seems to hold the signal longer (it would go in-and-out after the ICS update).

Google Now - Wow -- this is very cool! 

Google Voice - This is so much better than the iPhone's Siri!

New TouchWiz design - This is essentially the GS3 on the GS2.  The clocks and widget are nice.

BTW: I do miss the Task Manager that was easily accessed on the ICS version.  With Jelly Bean, you must press and hold your HOME button until the Task Manager pops up and swipe (to the left or right) away the apps that you would like to close. 

I noticed no lag on my device (which was something that I was afraid of).  In fact, it seems smoother than ICS or Gingerbread (despite taking up more resources).

This was worth the wait!

Journeyman

All real cool info. But since fl24 my usb tether will not work and kies wifi says "no simm card" cant connect. Any help?

Journeyman

Did anybody do a factory reset before updating to Jelly Bean?  Should I do a factory reset before updating?

Journeyman

I am running the update to JB now...it's now at the "Android is upgrading..." screen...so far so good...I didn't have to do the factory reset...just connected it to my pc, open kies and it'll detect, prompt you to update...it takes a while though

Journeyman

Used the Kies desktop utility, and yes it must be USB connected, can't be done via Kies Air (wifi). Took 10 mins to dl/install Kies, 10 mins to backup all data via Kies, then 15 mins to dl/install the GB27 Jelly Bean update. But then it took nearly 2 hours to reconfigure my GS2! All my home screens were decimated - thank gahd I had the foresight to take pix of each home screen before the update. I counted (at least) three of my apps were missing too so I had to re-install them. But it appears all my pictures, contacts, text messages, and songs were ok -- so it was a toss up whether to run a Restore from my Backup but I decided to slog through it since it gave me the opportunity to re-customize the handset. All the Bluetooth profiles were missing, too, but I didn't have to go through a whole set of re-pairings, because when I tried to connect to my Bluetooth devices, they automagically reappeared.

Two big benefits I've noticed in the small time I've been using JB: (1) the notifications are alot more comprehensive and useful, and (2) there's a setting to specify no lock screen! Finally, I've wanted that forever!

Journeyman

Been trying to use Kies, it recognizes my phone and says the update is available. I go through the prompts, it says it is "downloading the firmware upgrade components", hits 100%, and then that window vanishes and Kies is grayed out and frozen. It gives no indication that it is actually doing anything in the background, and eventually Windows Task Manager says it is not responding and asks me to close it or wait.

Going to try the standalone update download instead.

Update: The standalone download from the Samsung website above was definitely the way to go! So far so good!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat