cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

If I have to do factory reset, that means I have to set up everything to my preferences all over again. I dont want to go through that! But yea, I'll try the beta swype....

Journeyman

I might be wrong, but from what i have read if you do a factory reset after the update its like you basically end up with a phone you just left the store with, but Jelly Bean will remain as the OS.

Journeyman

Correct.  Factory reset restores the phone to a clean state with no personal data, email, contacts, SMS logs, home screens etc.  It is strongly recommended when doing a major release update and will usually solve most problems.  It's inconvenient, and you will lose time setting things up the way you had them before, but if you're experiencing any glitchy or unusual behavior, it's a small price to pay.  If you use a Google/Gmail account as your primary email or Play account and your contacts are stored there, you can very easily restore all of that after a reset once you set up the account.  But you will have to recreate your home screens and reinstall your apps.  Here's a how-to:

http://android.kgmoney.net/2011/09/29/how-to-factory-reset-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g/

I at first did my update without a reset, and found that it was relatively painless and I didn't lose any data, but my battery life hit the floor.  So I chose to do a reset (and a "clear cache" beforehand), and while the battery life still seems a bit worse than it was on the previous ICS version, it's negligible.  Definitely better than it was right after the update.  The upshot is it gave me a good excuse to create my home screens in a more practical way, and to leave off apps that I never used, and.the OS is a nice change -- seems quite a bit snappier overall 

Journeyman

+1 For doing the factory reset.

I did the JB update without resetting and I had ALL KINDS of wierd glitches and error messages after a few days.

A factory reset fixed all of that.  Inconvenient yes, but well worth your time.  Seriously, don't be afraid, just do it.

I'm enjoying the JB update with one exception: My battery life SUCKS now.  I even replaced the battery.  Nasty battery life is now 8hrs +/- 1.5 hours.  This is the case on BOTH of the SPH-D710 handsets I own.

Can't wait to upgrade to something better later this year.

Journeyman

I performed the upgrade a couple of days ago.  My main concern was with the last patch to ICS, I was constantly loosing my radio signal and had to reboot the phone.  I saved any info I had on the phone just in case and then I did a factory reset before doing the upgrade from Kies.  Everything went fine and my data (pics and stuff) were still there.  Had to reload all my apps but Google Play Store makes that fairly easy if not time consuming.  Everything seems to work great.  Definitely got rid of the radio problem.  Seems to consistently work now.  I also kept the network optimizer on (which selects 3G/4G or WiFi automatically depending on the best available).  It definitely works better than it did in ICS but I think it's a party of the battery drain so I'm going to turn that off.  JB definitely drains my battery faster.  I can only make it through half a day before I'm almost down to nothing and have to charge.  ICS was acting similar (and the battery is only a few months old).

The one problem I've noticed so far is that when I go to play a video from Facebook, it gives me an error.  I don't have any other videos to try so I'm not sure if it's a JB thing or a Facebook thing or some combination thereof.  Anyone else see this problem?

Journeyman

Yeah a factory reset and flushing the caches is more or less a requirement to get the phone to behave after the update.

The good news is that if you were staying current before then, the phone is really likely to have synched your installed apps with the Play store and may very well rather aggressively start reinstalling them the moment you tell the phone about your Google account again and it gets wind of some usable WiFi.  Push your custom wallpapers and such out to the sdcard and the factory reset will barely be an issue for you after it re-syncs with the store.  (This may have been happening for me as a result of having given it the go-ahead to sync all that to the store during the previous and highly unpleasant install of GB27).

GPS is still being troublesome.  I wound up reflashing the last ICS to get it to behave again and had no problems... two days later I reflashed GB27 (non-rooted) and it went right back to completely squirrely and unreliable no matter what I did until I fired up GPS Aides FREE (the other detailed GPS assist programs didn't seem to affect this) and told it to re-download AGPS data* (and GPS Aides FREE is not the program I'd normally use or even use now) which seems to poke the radio in just the right way to make the thing start behaving regularly again.  It's gone wonky a couple of times since and both times that one app made it behave again.  I'm still not convinced the GPS is quite as solid as under ICS (it's very hard to procedurally test GPS), but at least it's not resetting repeatedly and uncontrollably anymore.

* yes I'm aware that doing this shouldn't have really affected much, so it's likely some weird side effect.  Might be useful info to someone at Samsung trying to fix the problem for good tho'.  ICS GPS locks when outside were under 15s and generally stayed in the +/- 20ft accuracy range unless I was clearly no longer seeing sky.  GB27 isn't quite there yet, but it's not so unreliable that I feel like I have to flash back to ICS again.

Journeyman

My phone was not lasting no more than 4 hours after the update.  I turned many of the new features off (Google Now is a hog).  I also noticed my battery had bubbled (if it spins on a flat surface it is bad... A little hump).  I had the battery replaced and my phone is back to normal.  I will be turning some of the new things back on one at a time to see what they do to the battery juice.  I hope this helps

Journeyman

Since installing this update I've had the worst battery life ever. The 4G turns itself on and wont turn off half the time. When can we expect a fix for all the problems brought by this new update?

Journeyman

turn off the optimizer (settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks > connection optimizer)

and turn off google now if you don't use it (http://androidmuscle.com/how-to-turn-off-google-now-in-android-4-1-jelly-bean/) - like GS2Epic said, it's a hog

then get an extended battery just in case :-)

Journeyman

I was getting ready to exchange my phone after suffering with the power drain in FL24 for so long.  I hooked it up to Kies and noticed the GB27 update, so with nothing to lose, I went for it.

The update took a while...just be patient if you think it has hung.  But GB27 fixed the power drain problem!!!

And I didn't see any issues that have made me do a factory reset like I had to do with FL24.

One other tip for power saving - I didn't realize it, but the AMOLED screen works surprisingly well without the backlight, so in cloudy or evening conditions, turn the brightness all the way down, and it will still be totally useable.  You will notice the difference in battery life.

Kies 2.5.3.13033_7 on Windows 7 64-bit

Galaxy S2 Model SPH-D710 Hardware version D710.10

Now running Android 4.1.2 Software version GB27

Journeyman

I ran the JB upgrade through Kies.  I was up to 40% through the firmware update (step 7 of update on the link below) in no time.  It then stayed there, at 40% of the "Downloading firmware upgrade components" for over 8.5 hours.  I finally had to stop the upgrade and unplug my phone.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00052555&fm_seq=60762

I have high speed internet (20mbps).  My internet connection was fine the whole time, even downloaded from elsewhere during this upgrade.

I did a factory reset before starting the upgrade.

I will try again tomorrow.

The only thing I can think of is, Samsung having issues on their CDN?

Has anyone else had a problem of the upgrade taking anywhere near as long?

Journeyman

Mine only took a few minutes, but I didn't use Kies. I grabbed the updater from the Samsung website: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads

I would try that.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat