cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Go to settings, lock screen, lock screen options then enable shortcuts and tap on that to add any wigets/.apps that you want.  It is pretty cool!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This update seems to have created GPS issues on my phone.  Since updating, the GPS icon flashes in the menu bar, and no app can determine my location.  REbooting sometimes fixes it.  If I stop using navigation for a few minutes, the GPS icon starts flashing again.  This phone has always had great GPS reception, even indoors.  Other that that, it has been a great update.  Anyone else seeing GPS besides me?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just did the update to JB and overall I like it with a couple of exceptions.

Widgets seem to just be larger and have less functionality.  My accuweather app used to be small and allow manual updates, now it's huge.  The digital clock used to act like the normal clock where I could touch it and have it open up all of my alarms.  I used to have the digital clock on the home screen taking up a full line then the next was split by the active apps and weather.

I hate having the remove app/widget at the top of the screen.  I've accidentally removed a few of them now.

It does seem the screen is more responsive than it used to be.

I wish there was a way to mute or change the camera shutter sound.

Highlighted
Journeyman

kasper is for the black phone and wapper is for the white phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the g27 update installed for a couple of days. I was at a friends house and tried to tap into his wireless network (which I had done numerous times with the old version) and my phone went into a continuous cycle of shutting itself off and turning back on. The only way I could get it to stop was to pull the battery. Anyone else have this problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Existing Wi-Fi connections are stored in a table which probably became corrupted during upgrade. Try this: while NOT in range of your friend's network, have your phone "forget" the connection. When next in range of your friend's network, try to establish a "new" connection to his network. Be sure to have power cycled your phone off and back on sometime between "forgetting" the old network connection and establishing the "new" one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wasn't liking the bigger accuweather/clock widget either. I just moved it to another screen because I didn't want to lose it by removing it totally, then put a different clock widget on my home screen and my preferred weather widget underneath it. All works well now.  There are several clock widgets built in, but there are many more free ones in the app store so just find one you like.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Umm I have a titanium galaxy s2, any one know which one i should download or is it irrelevant

Highlighted
Journeyman

GPS issues: I have 'em.

I did a factory reset and cleared the various caches after upgrading to 4.1.2 through Kies, but nothing and I mean nothing made the GPS reciever stable again (including flushing the caches again, another factory reset, and an Odin One-click reflash of GB27 that wiped the user data just for giggles).  At no point over the weekend could I get a decent GPS read to last more than a few seconds before it would wig out and apparently start all over again in trying to determine my location.

I reinstalled GPS Status & Toolbox so I could take a closer look at what was going on, and had my suspicions confirmed.  It was also showing an absolutely ludicrous negative figure for altitude (probably MAX_INT or one of it's cousins) where with ICS at least altitude always showed zero or very close to it even if that wasn't correct.

I play Ingress so it's fairly critical for me that the GPS be able to get a steady read.  Under ICS I could get a lock (in these same locations) in about 8-20 seconds with 8-11 satellites seen.  Frankly I'm surprised the game even tolerated me trying to play with GPS flitting around over a block and a half like my phone was attached to a drunken seagull.

Reflashing back to ICS with an Odin One-click fixed the problem immediately.

Whatever you've done with the GPS driver, you need to roll that thing back to the one used with 4.0.4, guys.  ...and try to keep the shills out of the forum when it comes to tech problems.  That's just tactless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery life may be good while on WiFi and not in use...but GB27 sucks the life out of my battery.  Bluetooth is always off, screen is set to turn off after 1 min, brightness level is less than 50%.  After 45 min of traveling, making no phone calls, no games, doing nothing on my phone, it's dormant in the holster, I go from 100% battery life to 93% battery life.  If I'm playing a simple game, no high tech graphics, I'll drop 20% battery life in 10 minutes.  ICS never did that.  I want to know how I can downgrade back to ICS  Not to mention GB27 reset a few of my customized settings back to default and changed some of my notification tones.  NOT happy with GB27.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I upgraded to GB27 a couple of weeks ago and had two issues that were fixed by performing a factory reset.  The issues that I had were:

- Deteriorated battery life - I would lose 10% battery while not using the phone in 30-ish minutes
- Previously paired Bluetooth devices would connect, but they wouldn’t show up in settings and the Bluetooth settings screen would lock up if you tried to access it while a device was connected

Since the factory reset I’ve been happy with GB27. 

I have not experienced the GPS issue that others have been talking about.  If anything, I think the GPS is more accurate than before, when I use the Nike+ Running app to track my runs.  I turn on the GPS and start the app as I’m getting ready to leave and within a few seconds of stepping out of the house, I have a strong GPS lock.  Running the same two-mile route several mornings in a row gave consistent distances of 2.04 with a variance of +/- .01 miles.  Five runs gave distances of 2.03, 2.04, 2.04, 2.04, 2.05.  That’s pretty danged good!

I have one issue remaining; and I don’t remember if I had it before the factory reset or if it’s new.  The one remaining issue is that the 4G service keeps turning itself on.  I turn it off using the button on the pull down.  I turn it off by going into settings.  It doesn’t matter.  It keeps turning itself back on .  This is annoying as hell because Sprint doesn’t have 4G service in Milwaukee for one, and the phone is 4G WiMax, not LTE so it’d be useless even if Sprint did have 4G service in Milwaukee!

Is anyone else having this issue with 4G turning itself on?

Highlighted
Wizard

Turn off your Sprint Connections Optimizer.  Go into Menu -> Settings -> More settings maybe, or network settings.  Then find the Sprint Connections Optimizer and uncheck it.  Then DO NOT go back and see if its unchecked.  It will recheck itself.  Just uncheck it, and back out of that screen.  This should stop your 4G issues.

There is WiMAX at Miller Park that I can get a fairly good signal with for some reason, but that's about it in Milwaukee.  (I'm in Madison and no WiMAX here either)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat