cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

I noticed today, after my phone automatically connected to my work WiFi, I went from 93% to 75% battery life in 4 hrs being exclusively on same WiFi signal and antannae (never left WiFi coverage) - with the phone being dormant in my holster, no phone calls, no games, no emails (set to manually check), no application updates, almost everything is set to manual on my phone.  I've tried the Sprint Connections Optimizer, but didn't work.  I'm about ready back up all my data and do a factory restore to see if that helps.  I'm in the Houston market where I get 4G almost everywhere when not on WiFi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the update and don't mind it so far, but I do have a question.

Does anyone know how I can change the order of my albums in my gallery? They used to be in alphabetical order, but now they are all over the place so I'm having a hard time finding things.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay so I did the update, and just wanted to ask a few questions.

1) How do i get it so that i have 2 email icons and each one goes to a seperate email account (ie. hotmail, aim)

2) Is there a way to reduce the amount of "home" screens, there are 7 and i'd like to reduce it to 4

What about S-Voice does that come with JB for the Epic 4G??

So far I am pretty happy with the update, and it seems to be more fluent and smoother running. I cant comment on the battery life YET, but I am hoping it does better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hm...

Don't know about the email icons, but the home screens can be edited if you press the menu button and choose "Edit Page".  It will show you all of your home pages and by long-pressing and dragging, you can move them around and/or remove the ones you don't want.  I currently only have three home pages.

And, I don't know how I forgot it earlier, but the other major outstanding issue that I have is screenshots!  How the heck do you take a screenshot with GB27?!  Home and power doesn't work on my phone and neither does volume down and power.  Am I missing something?

Edit:  Nevermind...  I figured out the screenshot.  It's still Power & Home.  The trick is to hit the power button the absolute tiniest fraction of a moment before the home button and then hold them for about a second.  I'm talking near instantaneously, but with power coming a slice before home.  Maybe it's just my phone being squirrely. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screenshot works just fine for me. Home and power at the same time just hold it for 1 or 2 seconds

Highlighted
Journeyman

DPugs, thank you Im down to the 4 i need. Yep Home and Power for screenshots, figured it out this morning, mine is same way power then quickly the home button, so not just your phone.

Still looking on how to have 2 email icons each for a seperate account.

And any info about S-Voice on the epic 4G touch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

WVTip wrote:

I found a workaround for the Settings Stopped issue by turning off Bluetooth.  I can then get into Setting menu and do what I need and then turn BT back on.  Maybe this will work for you too.  Good luck.  Hopefully we'll get a permanent fix to this issue.

This update rocks, except for the "Settings has stopped" thing.  But WVTips's tip that you turn off BlueTooth before going into Settings worked for me too.

I updated by USB from Kies, and did not reset to factory defaults.  I also have never rooted my phone.  It was sucky having to put all the icons back on my screens, but well worth the effort.  Everything on my phone was dog-slow with ICS -- even just locking the screen before pocketing the thing.  Now, everything just flies, and I like the newer behavior of some of the apps.

Just do it!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

About Task manager, I too rely on it, on the new 4.1.2, its called Active Applications that can be added to home screen through using add widget, when you do that and click on it, it opens up exactly same as old task manager, so all isn't lost. Whew...

Highlighted
Journeyman

You can also get to the "Active Applications"/"Task Manager" screen by long pressing the home key and then clicking on the button with the pie shaped icon. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I struggled with it due to few things, for one, my computer is 10 years old and runs on 512 mb ram so my Kies couldnt be installed correctly, secondly I used generic brand store bought cable (big mistake, didnt read carefully that I was to use original cable that came with the phone) so I think those two issues I had caused the messed up on my phone in first place that could have been avoided. Lesson learned...when I downloaded simple tool (after failing with Kies) the download went well.  I lost bunch of stuff (No, I didnt do back up, again lesson learned) but I was able to restore most of it with an exception of Internet browser's bookmarks were wiped out. I was able to rebuild by going to history folder and click on those websites. But as a avid cook, I lost lot of bookmarked recipes

Now only complaint I have is, the phone constantly reboots at random times by itself anywhere from 1 to 3 times a day for last 5 days after upgrading. Its so frustrating. Also for Swype, I lost all my dictionary but that's ok because I knew I could always rebuild it again but unfortunately it WONT ask me if I want to add it to my dictionary. There's no way for me to rebuild it?!

Those two issues I want to be fixed:

-constant rebooting itself

-swype dictionary

Highlighted
Journeyman

The best way to fix your Swype issue is to download the beta version of Swype from their website.. I had the  same issue and that fixed it for me. As for the rebooting, have you done a factory reset yet? That will fix a lot of issues.

April

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated to Jelly Bean and now my battery life is 2 to 3 hours at most. I would try to do a reset, but I am not sure how to do it. If I reset it, what will it look like? How would I then update to Jelly Bean. Thanks

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat