cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - GB27 (Jellybean Android 4.1)

Thanks for the fast response bustamelon 

I tried Kies again, it completed the upgrade in < 15 min

Journeyman

Is there a way to block a single caller / send a single caller directly to voicemail?

Journeyman

It might not be quite on target for this thread, but you can enable call blocking by

logging into the site, head to "My preferences", under the "All about my account" section,

"Limits and permissions", Block voice/Block texts/Block data, etc.

For Block voice, there are two choices:

1. Block all out-bound voice calls

2. Block only the following phone numbers for inbound and outbound calls

If you set option two for a number, they will get:

"This person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time..."

and that is it - they are not directed to voicemail.

This is a nice addition by Sprint.  I had an incident in September in which I had

an ex go crazy one weekend and start war-dialing me.  Back then, Sprint was

recommending blocking with the Mr. Number app, but using that method the

phone would still ring briefly before dropping them.  With the Sprint web setup,

you never see or hear anything.

They currently have a bug in their website that prevents you from saving an

empty block list, so just leave one fake number in there and then save.

Oddly, if you access Sprint Zone (on your phone) --> My Sprint --> "My Account" -->

"Manage your devices" --> Limits and permissions, then select the Voice dropdown,

you only have option (1) above.

G

Journeyman

I have so many problems since the Jelly Bean update. I skipped the ICS because I heard that was bad, but was told that Jelly Bean was the best and the battery life would be excellent. Well, my battery is already at 74% after 1 1/2 hours. It usually lasts about 5 hours if I don't do anything on it and 2 or 3 if I actually use the phone for anything. I have replaced the battery and have done the battery test so that is not the problem. My individual ring tones never stay set, I hear a ring go off but no notification of what it is, I get the international roaming message when I am in Texas. I upgraded without doing the factory reset, but then reinstalled after doing a factory reset and it is no better. I am waiting for my phone uprade in July and am wondering if I will have the same problems if I upgrade to the Samsung Note2. Any help would be appreciated.

Journeyman

I have so many problems since the Jelly Bean update. I skipped the ICS because I heard that was bad, but was told that Jelly Bean was the best and the battery life would be excellent. Well, my battery is already at 74% after 1 1/2 hours. It usually lasts about 5 hours if I don't do anything on it and 2 or 3 if I actually use the phone for anything. I have replaced the battery and have done the battery test so that is not the problem. My individual ring tones never stay set, I hear a ring go off but no notification of what it is, I get the international roaming message when I am in Texas. I upgraded without doing the factory reset, but then reinstalled after doing a factory reset and it is no better. I am waiting for my phone uprade in July and am wondering if I will have the same problems if I upgrade to the Samsung Note2. Any help would be appreciated.

Journeyman

I am overall pretty satisfied with the update, but I too am having issues with my phone telling me I am in International roam at random times. I know roaming is included in my plan, but I doubt if international roaming is and I haven't seen a new bill yet to determine if I am being charged for any calls/texts made while my phone thinks I am in some foreign country.

And like with so many others, battery life is an issue.  What is the point of having all these new features if I have to turn them off to conserve battery power?

Journeyman

You are right about that tip for blocking calls  not really belonging in this thread, but thanks anyway!  I do use a call blocker, but I have one repeat caller that I would rather not have to deal with at all and this was a perfect solution. I didn't know Sprint did that, so thanks again!

Journeyman

I've received the same message about international roaming since the update. I contacted Sprint and the representative resest my PRL. He  also told me that if I noticed any international charges to let them know. Unfortunately, I am still getting that same message. I finally decided to just turn the international roaming guard off. I'm in North Carolina, so I'm not near any borders. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on my next couple of bills! I wonder how many others have had this issue.

Journeyman

Okay, after weeks of testing now, it's clear the GPS support in the JellyBean update is complete crap.  Someone should be deeply ashamed that they didn't catch this, or if they did they should even more ashamed they decided to ignore it as a problem.  Regressions of this degree are amateur hour nonsense.  More astonishing is that I don't see Sprint actually acknowledging this problem anywhere.  I suppose it's a matter of them not really caring about anyone who is past the first year of the lock-in.

There is nothing wrong with my phone hardware.  I can and have flashed this phone back to ICS five times now.  Every time I flash back to JellyBean, GPS becomes an unstable/unreliable mess.  No amount of factory resets or cache clearing can make it stable longer than a single afternoon.  I've also found six other people in my area who have the exact same problem.

So... if someone is relying on GPS for anything, they should *not* take this update, and if they did at least they'll now know that reflashing back to ICS is the only solution for it until there's an AOSP release that can use the phone properly (and will get rid of the crapware at the same time).

Journeyman

Hm...  Your GPS issues are interesting to me because I've actually found the GPS to be more reliable since the Jelly Bean upgrade.  My S2 and my wife's brand new S3 have been giving distances within .02 of each other during our morning runs.  The GPS is also within .02-ish of what gmap-pedometer.com gives me when I map out our running routes.  Prior to the Jelly Bean upgrade, the variance from gmap-pedometer was at times .1 or worse.

Since others in your area are having the same issue, I wonder if there's something different about your location that's contributing to the problem?  Since ICS works for you, it seems like some combination of something in Jelly Bean and something in Sprint's network is causing the fluky behavior?  I don't know, I'm just speculating.  Have you tried turning off "Use wireless networks"?

Very odd.  It'd be interesting what kind of performance others who are not in your area or my area are getting. 

Journeyman

There's nothing in Sprint's network that would be able to affect this.  The phone uses actual GPS satellites instead of tower-guessing.  The only thing it does with AGPS is to get an initial "ballpark" idea of where you are, after which it's all a matter of listening for satellite transmissions.   When GPS is in it's failtacular mode, it's unable to keep track of satellites for more than a short period of time (yay for detailed GPS debugging apps) and tends to go into complete failure within an hour or so.  Being that of the GS2 users I've spoken with, none have seen their GPS behave for more than a short period of time while using JellyBean, I suspect you're just not using GPS enough to notice it failing, or that it's failing and the phone is making up for the lack of satellite triangulation using the motion sensors and your Wifi antenna to read the relative strengths of the APs you pass (which actually works fairly well although it often decides you're in the middle of a building).

Reflashing only the modem.bin firmware back to ICS handily makes the GPS highly reliable again, but at the cost of no more 3G and a spotty 4G functionality.  This, to me, screams "radio firmware regression".  GB08 was just as flaky as GB27, and I'm currently eyeing the dubious behaviour of the oldest JellyBean-matching firmware because it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as GB27's behaviour but I've already had to reboot the phone once to get GPS going again.  If I have to flash FL27 (the final ICS release for this model) to get it to work again, I might as well just reflash the whole phone back to ICS and make plans to just buy a Nexus.  I strongly doubt we're going to see anything further from Sprint or Samsung about this because if I heard correctly, the support contract they had for this expired a couple of days ago, and there's a bit of a history of them not giving GPS functionality any priority (it wasn't reliable at the first release of ICS either, but eventually "got there").

Journeyman

I was prompted by my phone to go this site...

http://m.sprint.com/mobile/mr/galaxysii.html

Which says that it's time to upgrade to GB27 which includes Android 4.2 (note: I already have GB27 and 4.1.2).

The link to the Samsung site talks about 4.1.2 only.

The link asking how the update went brings me here.

What's going on?!?!?!?!?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat