Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G speed issues

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

4G speed issues

Hi guys, I got the epic 4g touch for christmas and i really love it, but theres just one issue, and it's not with the phone.  I'm getting terrible 4G speeds, you may be thinking, "it's just overcrowded or you are in a bad location."  Nope, I am right in the heart of sprint country, I live in OP, KS, home of the WORLDWIDE sprint headquarters, and im only 5 minutes away from it, and 5 minutes from a sprint store.  Seeing my location i should be able to connect to a 4G server, however my phone won't connect all the time.  It mostly says "4G disconnected".  Can someone help me?  Is there something in the settings?  I have activated it and have unlimited everything(minutes, texts, data, 4G, web)  Can someone help me solve my problem?  I can post more details if needed.  Thanks

Jack

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

4G speed issues

That phone is a PoS.  Im not sure why Sprint keeps selling it.  Check the forum for the LOS issue.  Its not just a does it have signal yes or no kind of thing.  It has issues with not picking up 4G and bouncing in and out of no signal to 3G to 4G to roaming.  I would take that useless thing back asap.

Journeyman

4G speed issues

i like it alot and as soon as i get it solved i will be happy i already am just want to resolve this!

Journeyman

4G speed issues

Im not sure what you may currently be smoking, im not sure if any reply other than this would even be worthwhile.

Journeyman

4G speed issues

Jack, one the bigger problems going on is that not all the towers offer 3g and 4g, most of the 4g is coming from a different company sprint works with. Actually the areas that have stronger 4g will have less 3g coverage often times.

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?covType=wimaxdual&serviceType=data&mapcity=Kansas%20City&mapst...

Shows some small blank areas when you zoom in for 4g in overland park, I know for a fact they are continuing to expand the network of Clear/Sprint for 4g/Wimax, small pockets will still happen though.

It could also be a timing issue between the towers they need to work out, 2 that overlap and cause a communication delay.

Journeyman

4G speed issues

someguys, were you talking to me in that first post?

Journeyman

4G speed issues

Yeah it might just be because im in my house, my area is the one where it only works in some buildings ill try it around town to see if this is the problem.  Thanks for the helpful response man, im new to smartphones and your reply about 4G is appreciated i hope to see you on my posts if i need any more help.  Thanks again for the reply.

Journeyman

Re: 4G speed issues

I should have rolled up $35 bucks cash and smoked that because that's how much it cost me to return that defective sorry excuse for a phone.  Yea it has a big screen and fast processor.  But it also has the weakest radio antenna which is what makes a phone a phone.  My HTC Hero had better reception and signal strength.

The screen froze up when I plugged it in to charge.  It would bounce around from 3G to 4G, then back to 3G, then to Roaming, then back to 3G, then to no signal.  The battery lasted about 4 hours with pretty much no use.  The menu button became inactive after unplugging it from the charger and I found myself pulling the battery on a 3 hour old phone with no app downloads.

Maybe I was smoking something when I purchased that phone.  I'm assuming so were the other people complaining on the countless pages of threads about the phone.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/77482?tstart=0

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76962?tstart=0

someguysweb wrote:

Im not sure what you may currently be smoking, im not sure if any reply other than this would even be worthwhile.

Journeyman

4G speed issues

Sorry bout the problems you had but the radio issue has been resolved, also called LOS, about 2 weeks ago.  My battery is great it has lasted all day playing dillo hills, angry birds, using facebook and internet, and messing with the widgets and is still at 66% dude.  I just keep the brightness down a bit and it is great life.  I like it alot but seriously that issue is almost a month resolved now.  When did you return it?  I wouldve gone back and got a new model to see if it was actually the phone.  Obviously if you have the brightness cranked up all the way, and are constantly using it to do cpu and gpu intensive tasks like a high end racing game its not going to last long.  But in those 3 to 4 hours what were you using it for?

Journeyman

4G speed issues

In those 4 hours I was not using it at all.  I work in an older 4 story military building and received borderline reception with my HTC Hero.  After I bought the Epic Touch, I had no reception in my office.  I assume the constant roaming and searching for signal caused the battery to drain.

I also didnt like how my screen become non responsive when I plugged it in to charge.  My phone may have been defective.  But I had 2 options.  Get another Epic Touch (free of charge).  But Sprint only allows you to return and exchange once.  So if my next Epic Touch was defective, I would be stuck with it.  Or I could try a different phone and pay the $35 restock fee.

I did hear that they put out an update for the LOS issues.  I have been reading through the threads.  Overall I believe they may have fixed the LOS.  But I still see people complaining about bad reception and weak signal compared to other phones they had before it.

Needless to say, If I wanted a Samsung Galaxy S II I would get one on Verizon or AT&T who offer it on their LTE network where as with Sprint you sit here and hear the rumors of when their LTE network will be in place.

You can tell by the OP's post that Sprint can't even offer steady 4G to their customers.  And we wont get started on the below advertised 3G speeds that many have to suffer through.

Journeyman

4G speed issues

thats valid, you can turn the roaming off as well as 3G, and actually in most cases, i see sprint customers getting around 4 to 10 mbps on 4G, and verizons isnt that much more than that, and they dont offer unlimited data.  I agree 3G sucks but i dont have a need of constantly downloading so its good.  I also use it for games and calls and i havent had a dropped call yet

Journeyman

4G speed issues

and its actually advanced LTE(in 2013), not to be a connection nazi, but it's considerable difference when its WAY faster than regular so i think it will be worth the wait on sprint to have that.  And im going to upgrade to lte then advanced lte.  they will be first to get lte advanced then att they are slowly getting better, i would stay with them because the 4G speeds are enough for me so im gonna stay.  Oh and im also on family and friends so its cheaper for me.  whatever u decide is fine. but i think sprint has better pricing, the service might not be great but its growing bro.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat