cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Yep

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

I have updated to ICS on Tuesday morning.  I did not have any major issue like what has been described here:

1. I am not using Bluetooth so cannot say that it does or does not exhibit on my phone

2. The phone appears normal, not sluggish

3. About battery life.  I only had the Epic Touch for 2 weeks and got it while I was on vacation, so do not know how good the battery life was.  My thought: all these phones with dual core would be real power hog, so I always try to charge the phone while I am at work, home, or driving.

4.  Had a problem with Swype, but quickly found a fix on this forum.

5.  Had all my contacts in google contact, so they were restored

6.  Did not lose any old MMS SMS messages

7.  Could not do screen capture but quickly found on this forum that I had to hold the keys a bit longer

8. I think the GPS lock is much faster now then before, please confirm if you can

9. The email seems to be slower, I think the email client now if there is enclosure will try to read all the nclosure on opening the mail message (not like the client on my HTC EVO, only load a small portion of the mail message).

The one thing that I believe is a bug and need to have fix for me is the "Autofit" text feature with the browser.  That is the feature that I have raved about with Android over the iphone.  This is a standard google browser so may have to get google to fix?

Regards,

HB

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Journeyman

Does anyone know the offical time frame as to how long Sprint is providing the OTA update?  Also if a phone doesn't recieve the update during that time how would someone be able to update their phone?.  The reason I ask is because I hadn't recieved the update yet and I had been hearing that the OTA update was just ring thru the 20th.

Journeyman

I am having the same delay.  I have had my Epic 4G Touch since September, 2011...and I have not received the update yet.  My friend bought an Epic 4G Touch last Friday...and she already got the update.  I have read so many postings about how bad the update is, so I am okay with not getting the update until the end of the release, so that I can read about all of the problems (and solutions) people have with the ICS Android 4.0.4 FF18 update. 

I have read on multiple tech news sites that the update is not just the 12th through the 20th but that the ICS Android 4.0.4 FF18 update release is from the 12th through the end of the month.

. . .

For the people who have received the update through Sprint and/or those who have updated manually, have you had any problems that are significant (save one, the guy who took 2 days off work to figure out his keyboard issues)??? 

I have read on this posting that there are Swype issues (with a solution).  I love both Swype and Swiftkey for texting/typing.  I frequently find myself being so proficient with Swype that I forget how to text on a keyboard without swyping...so I also use Swiftkey to stay proficient with that as well.  i highly recommend either for those who still use the stock keyboard.

I have also read that there are issues dealing with the phone's contacts/messaging not syncing with Facebook or Twitter, etc., and issues relating to battery life, etc.  Anyone still not finding a solution for these issues?

Journeyman

If I had to take 2 days off for work because of "keyboard problems" then I don't deserve to have a smartphone....LOL!

Journeyman

Something is definatley wrong. I haven't had any problems anyone is talking about. Even when I used the leaked version. I'd say most problems are due to installing on low battery or not on wifi when downloading.

Journeyman

I still haven't gotten the update. Been tempted to do it manually but decided to wait since tomorrow is the 20th so hopefully, I get it and it runs fine. But the wait has been way toooo long.

Journeyman

Sprint killed the OTA yesterday, July 19, 2012 @ 1 PM. That according to Samsung Mobile. 

Journeyman

My wives phone had update at 10 am Thursday west time. She knew not to update because if my phone getting it 6 days ago. They still sending it out. If you read some of the threads, Samsung doesn't know what google is doing and sprint is blaming both.three people and nobody knows what is going on?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Really? Why? is there an official statement somewhere online about it?

Journeyman

Last evening Sprint senior tech support answered a question I had BEFORE updating to ICS, since it hasn't hit my phone yet. The senior person took three levels to reach. Question I had was if I should do the factory reset & cache wipe before the update or after. They said call Samsung. Samsung guy said my question was moot since they'd halted the update. He placed me on hold and told me what I posted here after midnight, or technically today. If anyone has received the update after that time, then it's Samsung guy wrong. If he is right, then Sprint not posting the information is unfortunate but consistent. I hesitated to even even post the message, but figured what the heck. It's one Samsung guy versus reality that is easily proven by time. If you've not received the update and don't over the next few days, Samsung guy might just be right. Why no announcement? My guess is that it'd be safer to say nothing if they are pausing, not killing. The fact that Sprint tech told me to speak with Samsung is pretty odd, since my question was basic. Take from it what you wish. The guy whom indicated 10 AM was prior to what I was told. 

Journeyman

I'd also add that Samsung knows their phone better than Sprint phone support. The people at the Sprint stores also know more. IF the info I was given is correct, the reason Samsung provided was because of the high number of problems being reported. Frontline Sprint telephone support people are pulling their hair out. It's a job I certainly wouldn't want at this moment. The Sprint people with whom I chatted prior to being offered Samsung's support phone number told me that his previous 2 calls both involved resets with cache wipes and problems persisted.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat