cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Highlighted
Master

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich

- Google Security Patches

- Email Enhancements

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FF18

- Released in stages to devices

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

452 REPLIES 452
Highlighted
Journeyman

sisky44 wrote:

I totally agree I hope they hurry to fix this problem  All 3 of my phones have been effected.

I would email dan@sprint.com and let them know what is going on. The more noise people make the better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Right, the bugs that came along with the ICS has made a wonderful, miserable, may switch to Iphone or swap out for same phone.  connection to the network wifi and 3g is not working well at all, my menu pops up and down like my finger is pressed down on the button.  Is there a fix I can do my self to make it work?

Highlighted
Journeyman

********************* wrote:

Right, the bugs that came along with the ICS has made a wonderful, miserable, may switch to Iphone or swap out for same phone.  connection to the network wifi and 3g is not working well at all, my menu pops up and down like my finger is pressed down on the button.  Is there a fix I can do my self to make it work?

The only thing I could recommend is a factory reset (but you will loose all your data /apps). That may fix some problems, but for me it didn't fix the horrible battery drain.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - removed personal information

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really love the update, my battery is lasting longer and the stock ICS interface is great. A definate inprovement for me. Maybe alot of the problems are user related issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just switched to a galaxy s3 on verizon. Enjoy your ETF Sprint and thanks to all the forum moderators who haven't bothered to way in on this topic. I get great battery life and can actually use my phone inside a building. And with 3 people on a family share plan, I have more data than I need for the same price. Oh, and my bluetooth connects to my car again and all the issues that I was experiencing are non-existent. The lack of time lost and frustration as well as money lost screwing around with this phone will more than offset the ETF. I hope things improve for sprint in the future, but this was the last straw of my one year frustrating failed experiment. Also, my 3G speeds are 3 times greater and I had a great signal with Sprint in my house.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I highly suggest you all drop ICS and return to GB. ICS is the biggest POS I've ever experienced in terms of product updates. It virtually breaks a phone that was amazing before. Lock ups, slow speeds, overheating, terrible battery life, simple things take multiple clicks now (why was contacts removed from the phone dialer app?)... and for what benefit? We get to write e-mails in italics and bold?! Some UI elements look slightly different?!

Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Shame on you, Sprint.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Murphy5111 wrote:

Thanks for posting. Just wondering if losing 22% of your battery is normal for you? The reason I ask is that I was losing between 22-34% overnight with the ICS update with my phone doing nothing. I still think you have a battery issue - your phone and wifi are still running it appears and your phone is awake when it shouldn't be. This is what it should look like and what I get on GB. I only lose 5% of my battery over the same time and I've changed no settings and left bluetooth and wifi on overnight.

I would say losing 22% overnight is normal for android phone.  I think it is something to do with android, does not have a very good process management.  Process gets fired up all the time even though you do not do anything.  Hope Google will come up a good solution for this android craziness.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Guys,

I've found a fix for my exact issue that you guys describe here. I own a galaxy note on AT&T as well as an S2 and after ICS, the S2 was losing 25% in one night when it used to lose 8%. After this change, I went to sleep last night with 52% battery and woke up with 48% with 3G on all night and push emails received throughout the night. This is a wakelock issue with AudioOut_1, and you have to specifically disable the system sounds. These are under Settings->Sounds->System and uncheck Keytones, TOuch sounds and Screen lock sound. After this I restarted my phone and got the following battery usage graph improvement. I made the change around 1600 yesterday and as you can see the usage changed dramatically. Good luck!

20120809_191720.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

From another thread, this suggestion from Careoshi may fix most problems with this ICS update:

Jul 27, 2012 2:40 PM

My ICS-updated phone is now working perfectly. Details inside.

Like countless other people, for me the ICS update was more like a big downgrade, introducing lots of annoying glitches and—far more importantly—dramatically reducing my phone's battery life. I tried the various fixes posted around the internets, including turning off WiFi while in sleep mode, turning off syncing, uninstalling certain applications, and otherwise downgrading my phone even further from where it was before the update. But none of these solutions actually did anything to address the core battery life issue, as no matter what I did, CPU Spy would still indicate that my phone was unable to enter a "deep sleep" state (thus, the processor was always active and draining my battery at an accelerated rate). And "Android OS" would still appear at the top of my battery stats page, with a 50% or more share of total power consumption (wildly in excess of what it was before the update).

Then I tried wiping the system cache partition and restarting the phone. Once I did this, battery consumption returned to what it was before the update, even with all my sync settings, WiFi settings, etc. put back to where I had them originally. CPU Spy reports that the phone now enters deep sleep as normal. Android OS has returned to being second on the battery stats list with between 15 and 20% of the total consumption. Battery drain with light use is back to where it was; I'm at around 60-70% after a long workday with moderate phone use, instead of getting a "low battery" warning before 5PM even after not touching the phone all day.

Not only this, but all the glitchy behavior that I'd occasionally been experiencing is gone as well. In short, my phone is working again.

To wipe the cache partition, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Short of having to re-enter a few passwords in various apps and having to re-add my home screen widgets, there were no negative consequences to doing the cache wipe.

Hopefully this process will work for other people who have been having battery life issues since the update. If not, I guess my phone is just weird or something. But in any case, it very definitely works right again.

Someone added this clarification to original post:

Thanks again for a concise fix. But your instructions need some more specifics: to select wipe cache partition (which is really small font) use the volume buttons and then I think you have to hit the power button as "enter" to activate it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did not do a cache-wipe and turning off system sounds fixes my battery drain. I analyzed the drain with Better Battery Stats to get the AudioOut_1 culprit as preventing the phone from sleeping. This is the cause of the deep sleep wakelock issue. Android OS will definitely peak out at 50% usage with this issue. Now Android OS is less than Phone Idle and Screen on my list.

Cache wipe fixing it probably gives a clue as to where the problem comes from. I bet it's a relic from GB that's conflicting in ICS since the upgrade to ICS does not wipe the cache. Once you wipe the cache, you have a 'pure' ICS installation and there is no bug. If not, you can just turn off system sounds if you don't want to redo your entire phone's settings again.

When I upgraded my galaxy note, it did wipe the cache automatically and there's no issue with the wakelock AudioOut_1 wakelock kernel bug. Coincidence I wonder?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not very knowledgable about cell phones in general, so please forgive anything that appears to be stupid in this post.

The problems I have noticed with ICS are:

1. Battery life (which seems to have been resolved with various things I have done, all of which I saw on here.)

2. Lack of ability to transfer pictures from phone to computer via USB -- I can't even see the listing of pictures now when I connect the phone to the computer. Any ideas?

3. Lack of dynamic zoom feature on websites. Any ideas?

If I do the cache-wipe, will that wipe out the pictures I have on the phone (not on the memory card), and will it wipe out all of my text message threads?

Thanks for the advice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

2. Lack of ability to transfer pictures from phone to computer via USB -- I can't even see the listing of pictures now when I connect the phone to the computer. Any ideas?

Yes, sprint removed the ability to use usb mass storage on the phone. You now have to use MTP or PTP to transfer, which is just as fast and in all actuality a better method. MTP allows the phone to still have access to the SD card while connected and transferring files to the machine. When you connect with a USB cable, if you are having trouble, drop down the status bar and change from MTP to PTP. If you are on a mac you will have to use Android Filetransfer from google since OSX does not natively support MTP and nor will it ever support it. Hope this helps.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat