cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Just got the notification to update this morning. And have been declining it.

After reading that there are still issues that are either unreasolved, only works on some phones and other frustrations, I'll keep GB for the moment as I've no problems with it, my network OR service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Ladies and Gentlemen on this thread,

There is a lot of wrong advice on this thread. All that clearing the cache (nice joke, at least clearing the dalvik cache, I could have understood), removing battery , Wfi, battery removal, drawing a circle in chalk etc, won't help you with issues regarding ICS. Yes, those issues which include poor battery life, spotty wifi, non responsive buttons, laggy responses to swipes and taps, slow apps, etc etc.

Here is good advice. Do not follow threads on Sprint. These here are for novices with minor problems. Head over to xda forums. Then root your phone based on the how to there. It takes, oh, all of five minutes. Then flash it back to Gingerbread. Then there are a couple of other little fixes that will prevent sprint from ever updating your phone again because the ICS update is a) broken and b) ICS sucks. Im not telling whatfixes  so as to not make it too easy for sprint.

Capische?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Yeah thats the answer....a  bunch of novices trying to root their phones and bricking them...voiding their warranties...then who do they complain to? Sure this wasnt the best update but neither was gingerbread.....just wait until an update is released to remedy the issues for those unfortunate customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

uch34 wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen on this thread,

There is a lot of wrong advice on this thread. All that clearing the cache (nice joke, at least clearing the dalvik cache, I could have understood), removing battery , Wfi, battery removal, drawing a circle in chalk etc, won't help you with issues regarding ICS. Yes, those issues which include poor battery life, spotty wifi, non responsive buttons, laggy responses to swipes and taps, slow apps, etc etc.

Here is good advice. Do not follow threads on Sprint. These here are for novices with minor problems. Head over to xda forums. Then root your phone based on the how to there. It takes, oh, all of five minutes. Then flash it back to Gingerbread. Then there are a couple of other little fixes that will prevent sprint from ever updating your phone again because the ICS update is a) broken and b) ICS sucks. Im not telling whatfixes  so as to not make it too easy for sprint.

Capische?

I don't think you should have to root your phone and install a custom ROM just to have the phone working out of the box.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

David71a wrote:

I don't think you should have to root your phone and install a custom ROM just to have the phone working out of the box.

And that's the point, isn't it? No (official) word from Sprint about this massive clusterf*(%, Sprint stores have been unhelpful, and when I call support they say there is no problem--it's just me.

Leaving users out in the lurch doesn't keep them customers, it makes them customers of the competition.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

SteveArrants wrote:

David71a wrote:

I don't think you should have to root your phone and install a custom ROM just to have the phone working out of the box.

And that's the point, isn't it? No (official) word from Sprint about this massive clusterf*(%, Sprint stores have been unhelpful, and when I call support they say there is no problem--it's just me.

Leaving users out in the lurch doesn't keep them customers, it makes them customers of the competition.

I'm with you brother! It is really sad how horribly Sprint has handled this. I have already been shopping around with other carries. My company gets better discounts with big red (Verizon), it pretty much makes my monthly bill the same as it is with Sprint....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

David71a wrote:

I'm with you brother! It is really sad how horribly Sprint has handled this. I have already been shopping around with other carries. My company gets better discounts with big red (Verizon), it pretty much makes my monthly bill the same as it is with Sprint....

I get a 23% discount on Sprint through an alumni association, an 8% Verizon discount through my employer. I'm probably going back to Verizon when my contract is up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

could you all's issue be with the previous update that was pushed out in July sometime?  I had issues also when I updated my phone around Aug 5th or so and I took my phone back to the store, which i had just gotten it, I waited until last night and decided to update without doing anything to the phone and i runs very well with even better battery life, its been off charger for 14 hours and is only at 52%.   I read some other discussions about another update that was being pushed out on android website and that's why I decided to wait.  So far it is good!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

ericawaller@att.net wrote:

http://www.androidcentral.com/ice-cream-sandwich-rolling-out-again-sprint-epic-4g-touch

From what I have read on other forums the "second" wave of updates was the same as the first except the second would wipe data for the Swype keyboard.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Maybe that was the key, my swype works great also!  Maybe it depends on the phone the first phone I had was GB 2.3.4 and the one i have now was GB 2.3.6... IDK just reaching trying to think of a reason, grasping for solutions... I hope you and those who are suffering will get relief soon!  don't lose hope!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

I see that most of these replies are in the July timeframe, which I assume was around the first wave of updates maybe? I can say that after I accepted the update in August, about 2 weeks ago, my performance has went down hill. I was hoping to enjoy all the new features, which granted are nice, icons are better, BUT, the batter life is "HORRIBLE". It was fine the day before the upgrade, now after the upgrade, it is roughly 1/2. What could possibly eat all of the batter life out that it once had the day before. I went into every setting imaginable and the unit is not syncing automatically, removed application, auto dim display, etc. Still, the batter dies in less that a day with just taking a few pictures or checking email a couple times. I told some other people with the same phone about my experience, kind of a warning, and just found out they took the update with the same result. Apparently the phone would continue to bug the user to accept the update or ask later, I guess it was too annoying. I heard there is yet another fix to resolve the battery problem. I only hope it is soon before there is damage to my battery from the constant charging to keep it on during the day.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat