Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Master

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich

- Google Security Patches

- Email Enhancements

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FF18

- Released in stages to devices

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

452 REPLIES 452
Journeyman

Probably nothing new to report, but after experiencing several frustrating issues with my phone after the ICS update I visited my local Sprint Repair Center in San Jose and then called Sprint Customer Support (speaking to the CSR, Supervisor and the Account Management team). Basically the response was the same throughout i.e. sorry to hear you're having these issues, we don't have the ability to "downgrade" your phone and we'll get back to you when we have news. I don't think that jumping to another carrier is going to solve the problem as ultimately the issues we are facing can be found with other ICS 'upgrades", both foreign and domestic. My approach will be to wait another week and then call CSR and demand a reduction in my monthly fees until such time as the issues are fixed. I will let you know how I get on.

To summarize, the ICS 'upgrade' has:

1. Doubled the rate of battery drain (even with the tips provided here, it's awful and was waaaay better on GB) - dead by lunchtime
  2. Bluetooth address book issues
  3. The new GMail interface is a major step backwards
  4. Email notifications do not take you to the email that they are notifying you of
  5. The Exchange client defaulted to the wrong font size making all emails invisible (took a while to figure that one out)
  6. Wifi connectivity is hit and miss - sometimes the phone cannot 'see' my wireless router when I am sitting beside it
  7. Address book images are not rendered properly (zoomed so you can only see a portion of the image)
Journeyman

still no update for me in san antonio texas

Journeyman

For all those having troubles with ICS, you can return to stock here. http://forums.acsyndicate.net/showthread.php?4894-Stock-EL29-Tar-How-to-Return-to-stock-here

And yeah, you shouldn't have to do it Sprint you fix your issues, but since they are not, take advantage of all the great work the developers do, one of the many great aspects of android.

For the record, my phone with ICS works great, but if you are one of those with issues, return to stock,or look around the XDA forums, and choose a ROM that you feel is suitable to your needs.

Journeyman

...could you explain what do you mean by....i decided to update without doing anything to the phone...how can i update without doing anything to the phone?  Maybe I'm dumb but I do not follow you.

Journeyman

...did the same as you, same response from sprint but they gave me a $50 credit for all my troubles...

Journeyman

I just meant that I did not have to root my phone nor do factory reset nor a cache wipe as others suggested that you do in order to make ICS work properly.  I just clicked update and it went through with no problems.

Journeyman

virtuousWoman08 wrote:

I just meant that I did not have to root my phone nor do factory reset nor a cache wipe as others suggested that you do in order to make ICS work properly.  I just clicked update and it went through with no problems.

Then you should head to Vegas because you are lucky!

Journeyman

Be patient, by the time you get it, it should work fine without all the bugs and such...nothing is perfect so we shouldn't expect perfection but we should expect excellence...

Journeyman

Vegas? nigh, I might lose it there!

Journeyman

could you elaborate, what version of android did you have before upgrading to ICS? Was it 2.3.4 or 2.3.6? Did you just upgrade without a factory reset? are you having any other issues like screen brightness going from manual to automatic all by it self or system freezes or screen dimmness issues when in a browser being low and getting brightness when going back to main screen? I have all these issues

Journeyman

It was the 2.3.6... the first phone was 2.3.4, i took the 2.3.4 back to the store and I got the lastest 2.3.6 (which i had no idea) waited to update as I stopped getting the prompt to update then after a few days it came back and then I updated and haven't had any problems.  I don't know if those versions of GB had anything to do with wether it agreed or disagreed with ICS.  I don't have any problems with screen brightness.

Journeyman

I would suggest that if you got the update and everything worked fine, stop reading this thread   I had the update and everything seemed fine.  Kept reading this thread about all the issues, so just to be sure I cleared my cache.  Bad move.... it all went downhill from there pretty much.  I readjusted all my setting, took some advice on setting adjustments from this thread and now my phone is fine.  I notice that when I check on battery consumption its mostly the screen that uses the most battery life.  On a typical day I can go all day on one charge.  That is with using Map My Run for my morning walks (goes from 100 to 80 in an hour but I am using the GPS and listening to music),  some calls maybe, a few texts and some minor web surfing/application surfing.  All in all I am not terribly upset about the performance of the phone.  Its like a mini computer, can't expect the phone to stay charged forever.  Now with that being said, still thinking of leaving Sprint after my contract is up...service is unreliable and piss poor where I live. Have a good day all!!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat