Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

RC1024: Thank you. SInce you are running FF18 and getting milti-MBS speeds, that tell me that some specific hardware configurations are to blame. I'll continue to escalate with Samsung.  I'm comparing FF18 vs EL29 and on my specific phone (and many other, according to many community forums) and EL29 is vastly superior in 4G speed - order of magnitude.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

when they reflashed it for you does it erase all of your data like a factory reset? Because I want to go back to GB too but I don't want to lose all of my info

Highlighted
Journeyman

In order to go back to GB from ICS you'll need to wipe old user data and reinstall.  (Even within the ICS builds I personally recommend it.. it's like doing a Windows upgrade instead of a clean install and then asking why it's so slow and full of registry errors...)

Highlighted
Journeyman

It does not take a lot to root a phone. Five minutes is all it takes to restore it to ginger bread. Go to you tube and search for "Root Sprint Epic Touch 4G FF18" by QBKing77.

Follow the instructions to root the phone.

Second search for "How to Install Stock Rooted El29 on the Samsung Epic Touch 4G"

This will take another five minutes.

And then to prevent sprint from updating your phone, got to xda forums and search for "how to install fotakill.apk Samssung Epic Tpuch 4G"

That will take 3 more minutes.

After that Sprint cannot touch your phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

uch34 wrote:

It does not take a lot to root a phone. Five minutes is all it takes to restore it to ginger bread. Go to you tube and search for "Root Sprint Epic Touch 4G FF18" by QBKing77.

Follow the instructions to root the phone.

Second search for "How to Install Stock Rooted El29 on the Samsung Epic Touch 4G"

This will take another five minutes.

And then to prevent sprint from updating your phone, got to xda forums and search for "how to install fotakill.apk Samssung Epic Tpuch 4G"

That will take 3 more minutes.

After that Sprint cannot touch your phone.

That may be all there is too it, but I know a techy person that tried to root their GS 2 and now has $500 paper weight. I just don't think that is a chance I am willing to take with my phone, although it would be great if it would not brick the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MOLDMAN123 wrote:

I had the same problem and corrected it by changing the setting that keeps the phone awake. Go to the WiFi setting and choose "Only when plugged in" under the Keep Wifi on during sleep. This helped my battery life. Now if they would only fix the very poor 4G speed i would be good to go.

I do not find that setting in my phone. Mine says "turn off wifi when not connected to a mobile ap" but nothing about only when plugged in. I also have 4G turned off because I don't think it is available in my area.

Journeyman

go into setting and you should see "WiFI" at the top. Press on the Wifi then press the menu bottom on the phone. the advance tab should popup. press the advance tab and we will see the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" selection. press it and then make your selection.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MOLDMAN123 wrote:

go into setting and you should see "WiFI" at the top. Press on the Wifi then press the menu bottom on the phone. the advance tab should popup. press the advance tab and we will see the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" selection. press it and then make your selection.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I found it and set it. Obviously there is a lot I don't know about my phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

My contacts photos are distorted as well, but I didn't "take" the photos. I uploaded them in my gmail account then did a sync with the phone.  Without going into each one individually, deleting it then uploading again, how can this be fixed? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just expect to get what I'm being charged for..sigh....

Highlighted
Journeyman

YIKES.  No way I am going near the rooting solution!  Thanks for pointing out how serious trying that without a net could be.  If this ANNOYING, FRUSTRATING, MADDENING update upsets you like it does me, I don't want to imagine how it would feel to kill my phone by trying something I'm completely unqualified to attempt. 

Having said all that, I am BEGGING YOU, SPRINT...listen to your customers.  Throw us a bone and suspend billing until you implement a satisfactory solution for sending us this malicious "upgrade".  (Really!?  THIS is supposed to be an UPgrade?  FAIL!)

Highlighted
Journeyman

The new MTP solution for USB connection doesn't work.  Mass storage device had a lot of steps to remember, but at least it worked!

Still cannot transfer photos to PC...even after 3 tech support chats with Samsung.  How are we supposed to know drivers are missing!?  Downloaded & installed drivers, restarted both PC & phone, could not use MTP or camera.  Was told to install Kies on PC but still no luck.  Troubleshooting gets error "must install Windows Media Player" when I have WMP! 

Of course, that's just one of a long list of gripes about ICS.  "Most users do not experience these issues" (or whatever Sprint keeps saying) does nothing to placate those of us who ARE experiencing this.  Do they not see 27 pages of responses here, let alone all the Android forums online? 

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat