cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Highlighted
Master

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich

- Google Security Patches

- Email Enhancements

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FF18

- Released in stages to devices

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

452 REPLIES 452
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have read all of these posts and I have read (both here and in one other forum on this same site) that the partion cache wipe was a great fix for battery drain issues.  I followed the above steps exactly, step by step and let the battery drain all the way down, then charged the phone to 100% without using the phone during this time.

After the phone was 100% charged, with very minimal use, it drained to 90% within 5-6 minutes.  Within 45 minutes, I was down to 68%.  And I am not ueven using the phone that much (much less than I normally use the phone).  I checked my email (read 1), sent maybe 3-5 texts, and that little use left me with 68% after only 45 minutes.  And I have WiFi OFF.  4G is OFF.  GPS is OFF.  Screen Brightness is all the way down.

Now, as I start to write this, 60 minutes after disconnecting the phone from the charger, and having 100% on the battery, I am now at 58%, in only 1 hour with minimal use. According to CPU Spy, the phone is in "deep sleep" 44% and in the 200 MHz range 24% and 1200 MHz 11% and 800 MHz range 18%...and I am not even using the phone. Shouldn't it be in "deep sleep" 90+% of the time if it does not have Wifi on...doesn't have GPS on..doesn't have sync on...

After writing this short rant (and 5 minutes of phone inactivity), the battery has gone from 58% down to 51%.

Android OS is still using 36% of the battery -- after the second round of updates started (July 31, 2012) and after doing a partion cache wipe -- after 1 hour, 8 minutes on battery.

I obviously am having the same battery drain issues that were being discussed from the first round of 4.0.4 updates.

Has anyone else experienced battery drain after the second round of updates? 

Sprint technical support informed me that the second update was a minor change to the first round update...fixing the Swype (I can confirm my Swype worked flawlessly after the update) and fixing a GPS issue (unaware that there was a GPS issues the first time around).  The Sprint tech support guy said that his information (given to him from Sprint's collective brain trust) said that there was no known issue with battery drainage with the second round Android 4.0.4 update push.  Why don't these clowns send these updates out to users to beta test first?  I was in on the early on Swype beta and I regularly get beta versions of Handcent emailed to me from the dev team to see if it is working correctly (helped fix the last E4GT MMS bug on Handcent).  All they have to do is send it out to users and receive the "constructive" criticism and then fix the known issues.  You don't treat your entire customer base as beta testers. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well your last statement really strikes a cord with me, Sprint does look at their customers as "Bata Testers". It seems obvious that little to no effort was done preparing for or testing this update. On the second day of the 1st update when I had received no prompt on my phone I went to Sprint.com to check, there it was, so I called "support" they told me they had no record of any update for the S2....? so I gave the tech the name/number of the update... he said hmmm I can't find anything on that! seriously. I decided I wasn't going anywhere with him and went to the forums. I found the video for the update and was about to do it when I read a lil deeper into the issues, so I adopted a wait and see posture. Still waiting,

At this point I'm really glad I haven't (upgraded?) and have to ask myself what's wrong with Gingerbread?

I know these threads are for complaints but I haven't heard one person raving about how great ICS is, even the people who have worked out the kinks are at best underwhelmed.

So I still have GB and still have 12+ hours of light/middleing use on a battery, and I don't plan on updating. TheS2 is a great phone on GB so why? someone? anyone? By the way I can't wait to 86 Sprint as soon as my contract is up. Did anyone else get extra $10.00 of "charges we decided to charge you" on your bill this month?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Soooo....I'm in Louisville KY and still haven't recieved the update...any ideas on when this might happen? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there any way to revert back to Gingerbread if a manual update was performed?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, you can find the zip at xda developers forum. Just google return to stock EL29 epic touch. There is one one clock Odin file you can use.

Highlighted
Journeyman

thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

All I can say now the heck with the galaxy s2 I moved up to the gs3. And lovin every minute of it

Highlighted
Journeyman

nascar8877 wrote:

All I can say now the heck with the galaxy s2 I moved up to the gs3. And lovin every minute of it

Glad you are enjoying it. I just got my S2 in January of this year, so unless I want to pay full price for a new phone, I am stuck with it for a while...

Highlighted
Journeyman

This new update is HORRIBLE! The battery life has decreased DRAMATICALLY!! The RAM consumption is UNBELIEVEABLE! I charged the phone powered off and when it got to 100% I unplugged it and within less than an hour the battery was down to 80% with very light use. There is a MAJOR PROBLEM with this current update! PLEASE FIX THIS SPRINT/SAMSUNG! The previous version Gingerbread worked great by the way!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know! I HAVE to carry my charger everywhere I go now and use my car charger religiously.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FYI system updates are pushed from the device manufacter not the carrier, Sprint like us are just along for the ride. Sorry your tech does not work, but it happens so you should just get use to it instead of crying about it. If you want something electronic to work perfectly and work perfectly forever,  good luck and let the rest of us know where this piece of miracle technology exists.

Highlighted
Journeyman

These horror stories continue to be posted.  Unfortunately, most Sprint users only come to these forums when there is a problem ... if you are here still running GB, just wait  --- don't take the 'upgrade.'

I emailed 'dan@sprint.com' about this, and a couple of days later someone from 'the office of dan@sprint' actually called me back.  We had a nice calm chat, where I mentioned how horrible things were going for so many people.  This guy (of course, CEO 'Dan' wasn't on the phone ... but there is a phone bank of sincere-sounding guys handling this apparently) said this: "Well, we are monitoring the forums, but these are just isolated anecdotes.  Our view is that we are glad to handle every subscriber's problem, but only individually .. you need to show up at a store and get a rep to help with your phone.'

I pointed out the many posts about people who had done that, and suggested that maybe there was a systematic problem with the FF18 update.  He was having none of it.  From his view, everything is fine, but of course there may be a few isolated cases of subscribers who have unusual things on their phone that will interfere with the update.

So, there.  It's all in our heads.  The update is fine.  There is no power problem after the update, the browser doesn't have a problem with scrolling, there is no problem with swype, calls are not getting dropped, etc. etc. etc.  Oh, and there never was a problem with the GPS in the previous version, either.  

So says Dan@Sprint.com

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat