cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Highlighted
Master

7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich

- Google Security Patches

- Email Enhancements

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.FF18

- Released in stages to devices

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

452 REPLIES 452
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello David71a, which types of email / sync accounts are setup in your phone currently, do you typically have 4G, WiFi, GPS, or Bluetooth enabled, do you use any type of system utility software?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have aleo had FH13 since a few days after release and have not seen ANY improvement in battery life... ugh

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Please post comments and questions related to FH13 in the FH13 discussion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Hello David71a, which types of email / sync accounts are setup in your phone currently, do you typically have 4G, WiFi, GPS, or Bluetooth enabled, do you use any type of system utility software?

I just have gmail setup, no pop3 / imap accounts. Facebook sync is turned off. I have 4G / GPS / Bluetooth turned off. Wifi is on when connected to a wifi access point. I don't know what you mean by system utility software, but I would say I have "standard" apps like Facebook (all sync turned off), Google +, etc.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

When I ask about System Utility software I'm mostly referring to Task killers, or security software, in short I would label an application as a utility if it's there to perform a function, versus there for fun. depending on your home network settings, or how you use data you may find a power savings by turning off WiFi except while using internet for long browsing sessions, or download/upload of large amounts of data. while WiFi is on consider changing sleep mode from keep on during sleep to keep on during sleep only when plugged in. and change the frequency band to what is being used in your network. I habitually install Juice Defender, and when I'm not connected to a charger I have it enabled.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

When I ask about System Utility software I'm mostly referring to Task killers, or security software, in short I would label an application as a utility if it's there to perform a function, versus there for fun. depending on your home network settings, or how you use data you may find a power savings by turning off WiFi except while using internet for long browsing sessions, or download/upload of large amounts of data. while WiFi is on consider changing sleep mode from keep on during sleep to keep on during sleep only when plugged in. and change the frequency band to what is being used in your network. I habitually install Juice Defender, and when I'm not connected to a charger I have it enabled.

Ok, then no, I don't have any utility software installed. Based on what you are saying, I guess ICS manages wifi different than GB? I am using my phone exactly like I did with GB and the battery life is horrendous compared to GB.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I can say in my Evo 3D I have seen some apps and functions consume more power while the screen's awake. I can't say the exact reason, but I have noticed a difference in battery life while my phone is being used. standby seems pretty good.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

I can say in my Evo 3D I have seen some apps and functions consume more power while the screen's awake. I can't say the exact reason, but I have noticed a difference in battery life while my phone is being used. standby seems pretty good.

Hi RC1024, so you can see certain apps increase when you go to battery usage (from system settings)? For me, the top "app" on there is Android OS. For example, yesterday I was on battery for 3 hours and for 1 hour and 45 minutes, "Android OS" was keeping the phone awake (and thus using a lot of battery). Are you seeing the same thing on your Evo 3D?

Highlighted
Journeyman

For what it's worth: My SII "upgraded" to 4.0.4 several weeks ago and it has been a bit of a disaster. Mostly the same problems listed by everyone else. One of the worst problems was the battery drain when the phone was inactive. Go to bed with 60% battery, wake up to a dead phone. A couple of days ago I upgraded to the FH13 firmware and it seems to have greatly improved that issue at least. It still uses much more battery when in actual use than pre 4.0.4, but at least now it's not draining the battery when it's "sleeping". The other big problem is the hyper-activity/heating issue. For me at least, this seems related to apps that have a "locator" built in. For example, if I'm using the IMDB app and click to go to showtimes, the app tries to check my location to give me showtimes for local theaters. And this kicks the phone into hyper mode and it starts heating up. This worked flawlessly pre-4.0.4. So it's a pain, but I just avoid apps that are locating me for now. I'm guess as the apps update in the coming weeks/months this will be worked out. In the name of battery life, I've had to turn my screen brightness down to minimum and turn off auto and that's helped -- but again, it's a pain and makes the phone less pleasant to use. The phone used to last me a couple of days between charges, then after the 4.0.4 upgrade it was down to a few hours, maybe 4. Now with the firmware upgrade, screen adjustments, and skipping some locating apps I would like to use, at least it gets me through a day again. But I have to be ever vigilant as to what's running and be ready to kill any run away apps.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I have not tracked which apps, generally I'd say apps that require network access.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah not so much. Right from the Kies software "Your device does not support sotware updating via Kies" any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have read a bunch of posts complaining about battery life and system freezing. The problem I have is reception. Before getting the GS2 I had a Motorola Photon 4G (WiMAX version) and that phone gave me great reception everywhere I went, with slow 3G data speed in some areas but never completely out. With the GS2 I drop calls all over the place and I don't have 3G reception where I would normally have with the Photon 4G. I also noticed that WiFi reception is also noticeably weaker on the GS2 than on the Photon 4G. At home I have a very fast, top of the line wireless N router that feeds data to more than 10 devices at really fast speeds but on the GS2 the WiFi meter is always fluctuating between 2 or 3 bars and sometimes the WiFi signal just disappears. Now I just purchased the GS2 phone last week and as soon as I got it activated it prompt me to update to the Android 4.0.4 version so I don't know if the update is causing the problem. Now is there any updates to increase the radio reception on this phone because obviously is not a network problem because my previous phone proves it, or is it a hardware issue with Samsung? Or could it be possible the phone is defective?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat