Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/22- Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FH13 (MR 4)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 8/22- Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FH13 (MR 4)

doesnt the FH23 root your phone from the xda leak?  someone posted on their site that their phone was automatically rooted.  I think I will wait for Kies release to be safe.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Raffie,

Try disabling USB debugging and see if that fixes that...

@albundyhere,

FH23 is available rooted and unrooted.  But those that want to try it out are forewarned that this appears to be an alpha build and while "nodata" (save user data) versions are available they were causing bootloops.  A logcat seems to indicate problems compiling the Sprint Installer SQL statements.  (Sprint, if your soft devs need that I can send it to them)

Highlighted
Journeyman

As I was saying looks like samsung is really on it they have pushed out 2 builds in the last 2 weeks FH30 just got posted today so they are most definately actively refining ICS

Highlighted
Journeyman

@garwynn will try when I get home. thx

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's nice that the battery life is better with absolutely nothing activated but WiFi still runs the battery dead.  I have to manually enable and disable WiFi at work to use the LAN without having a dead battery before I go home.  Use details for Andoid OS shows that WiFi keeps the phone awake.  In GB, WiFi connected and disconnected as needed.

There are some connectivity problems.  It seems to immediately reject all Internet connection attempts while scanning for 3G, 4G, and WiFi.  I may get the international data roaming prompt when waking the phone, which is weird.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure about the push from Sprint. Samsung Kies noted I had the identical software update available, so I installed it (after backing up everything).

Anyway, the install was flawless and everything I had a gripe about with the previous update breaking my phone, has been fixed.

Long menus scroll smoothly enough to stop where I want.

The battery does last a lot longer.

The stock web browser no longer overrides my brighness settings.

I get a few bars cell signal where I got none previously.

There areas I had OK cell signal are now excellent.

All the applications I've tried now since the update, are loading very fast; I am happy with my phone again- please do not touch it (with more updates).

Highlighted

As an FYI, I completed the FH13 update via Kies (several days ago). I had completed a Factory Reset, Wiped cache "prior" to the update (I did this twice with FF18 as well with the problems that had been noted in that release). I have seen very little improvement in battery, very little improvement in the data connection (continues with intermittent loss both WiFi and 3G - do not have 4G at home so have little use of it). I have all the settings to improve battery including no auto sync, WiFi (only on when absoluely needed and the setting is keep wifi on only during sleep). I have Juice Defender enabled (which I "never" needed prior to ICS). I have a smartphone that I do not feel I can use as it should be because of the battery consumption and the intermittent data loss that can be very irritating. The touch screen menu does not respond as it used to (have to touch "several" times to get the response), of course the dialer limitations, swype keyboard layout (numbers at top rather than center) etc.

I cannot say that I have had issues with "phone calls" - no problem at this time. I am not sure there is "slower" data connections (had slower connections with GB with this phone).

I can say the only improvement in FH13 is the speak to text in the keyboard is finally working again (in FF18, speak to text "did not" work/did not recognize my voice - it worked in GB).

Looking forward to the next update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated my phone and my battery life sucks. I am even having trouble just getting the phone to charge on a charger I've been using for almost 6 months now. Also, my phone gets extremely hot. What is the deal? I went to school the other night, my class is from 5:40pm-9pm, without using my phone any of that time. When I got out it was almost dead, like "Connect your Charger" dead. I just don't get it. Then I always have apps running that I haven't opened. It is even syncing to update apps without the Sync being turned on.

HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I installed the latest update and so far, very little to no difference in battery life.  Phone still uses about 5% per hour doing almost nothing (email checks every 30 minutes),  I cannot make it through the day with light usage.  OS is more laggy than GB in general.  I also seem to have issues with deleted emails re-appearing later.  Under the battery stats I see Android OS using a much higher percentage than in the past.

Journeyman

Krysten94,

When I first bought my phone from Sprint, it came with an inadequate wall charger. You have already tried to use a different charger, but it has to be said- try a different charger.

I am not a Sprint representative, but am a senior "experienced" electronic technician and have used this phone for just less than a year (and seen the things that suck battery down). With that said:

The problem you are describing sounds like potentially a defective battery, so the first step to isolate that is take your phone to a Sprint store location that can Load Test the battery.

Another symptom you describe is while you're at school, the phone gets very warm. If a phone is not close to a cell tower, it will increase the transmitting power constantly- trying to stay in touch with the closest tower. Running your radio on maximum output will cause the phone to get very hot AND deplete the battery quickly. Remember, if the phone gets too warm, there is a safety feature built in that the device will emergency-shut-down to protect the processor. Certainly you have seen this at least once.

A solution for that is to allow the phone to "roam," which means the device will be allowed to communicate with the analog towers. Most Sprint plans allow this as part of your plan and should not cost more money.

The other thing you described is the apps syncing with sync turned off (another user or Sprint message board monitor correct me if I'm wrong), I think with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) that GooglePlay will sync/is not tied to the phone sync options now. The solution there is when Googleplay is running from the home screen, go to the preferences, check the box that says "only sync when connected to WiFi."

Let me know if any of this makes sense. I hate it that Sprint and Samsung wash their hands of the customer that pays for these services- it seems to be the price we pay for possessing cell devices. I'm seriously considering letting my contracts expire as a result of this. We should NOT have to rely on each other to fix our problems, after all, we're just end users.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Marke050860, which type of email and sync accounts do you have setup, and which type of email account has the email messages comeing back after you've deleted it (BTW have you also deleted it from teleted items before refreshing the inbox again?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

This is the same bug that the phone has suffered since day one: E-mail randomly stops syncing.  The common symptom is mail not appearing but another symptom is deleted mail re-appearing.  I have to kill Email in the Task Manager at least once a day keep it working.  The "Refresh" menu item doesn't fix it.  I'm using IMAP over SSL.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat