cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Draining faster and slow 3g connection since update

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called Sprint regarding the battery draining quicker since the update and they said that they were unaware of the issue. If you are having the same problem, you should call them and  maybe they can fix the issue. Tech support told me that I need to go to a service center and they can troubleshoot it, but it might cost me $35.00 for the service call since I do not have insurance. I just bought the phone Nov 28, so it is still under warranty. I really do not think it is my phone, I think it is the update since I have read other posts with the same problem. They also did a refresh on my phone to see if I get better internet connection, but I haven't noticed much of a difference.

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Wow.  I have the same phone and yesterday I got over 13 hours of use before it said I needed to charge my battery.  I am so impressed with the battery after using the Evo 4G and searching for a plug-in all the time.  I don't think it can be the phone...unless you have some sort of strange application draining the battery.  If you go to home/menu/settings/about phone/battery usage what does it say is using up your battery?  Is there a specific application? 

One thing that can really drain your battery is if the phone is constantly searching for service.  Do you have plenty of signal bars on your phone? 

Honestly, I would make sure my info is backed up and hard reset the phone.  Then restore your apps and contacts and Gmail account and see if your battery is lasting longer.  If not, then we can get it to the store to check out the battery/phone and see if either needs to be replaced.

-John

Journeyman

I went from the EVO to this phone too, so the battery life is much better, but when I got the phone, it lasted about 13 hours too and after the update it only lasts about 6 to 8 hours. If I charge the phone when it is off, it lasts longer. I usually have almost all of my signal bars but I do notice my 3g goes on and off all day long and sometimes I get a roaming notice when I know I am not roaming. I thought maybe that would drain the battery so tech support refreshed the phone and I'll see if that will improve the battery power. If not,  I will try your suggestion in doing a hard reset. Thanks.

GrandMaster

3G going off and on all day meaning it disapears and comes back or does it show that it is running off and on all day? if its the later mentioned then something is either refreshing and using the data or just straight up using the data.  like robotaholic said if youre getting bad signal data or reception wise youre phone will continue to search for it which will drain your battery like crazy. ditto for 4G and wifi...if its not there it will drain like crazy while it continues to search for it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Same here.  Sometimes com.android.phone and a self-test process suck up all the CPU and it gets very hot until rebooted.  Even without that, the battery life is commonly about 23 hours.  The battery status says 'Andoid OS' is using all the power.

Journeyman

I just see the 3g unlit and then see it start lighting up green and orange so I don't know what that means. I think it might only light up when I acutally use it, maybe tht is normal. When I check battery status, most of the usage is from the display.

Journeyman

K McMurtrie, Are you saying that you go to com.android.phone and do a self test ? Your battery lasts 23 hours?

GrandMaster

does it do the same thing while youre using the browser? if it does then most likely it is updating something (email, facebook, etc). your display should always be the main thing using the battery. helpful things to help reduce its battery consumption is either running your screen brightness at a low setting or just keeping it on automatic.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I adjusted my display settings so hopefully that will work. Thanks!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat