Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth disconnect issues, in-car stereo

Journeyman

Bluetooth disconnect issues, in-car stereo

I just got my phone this past weekend, digging it so far, but one thing has me irritated.

I have a JVC KW-AVX830 stereo with the bluetooth module. It worked perfectly with my previous phone (Motorola Brute i680).

My Samsung, it won't transfer the phonebook (even though I've said OK to "Give Permission for Phone Book access" while syncing). Mildly irritating, but I can live without that. The big thing though, it is also dropping the bluetooth connection. I'll be driving down the road, and I can watch Bluetooth drop out (it actually disconnects)... and then come back. It's done this during calls - the audio cuts out on the radio, the bluetooth icons show disconnected, and then eventually comes back. My Motorola never did that.

I'm thinking it has something to do with signal strength for the phone reception, as I noticed that it's done it in the same spots while driving to work. Why would bluetooth disconnect completely whenever phone signal is lost?

Anyone experience something similar?

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

I connect my E4GT to a Kenwood car stereo and it never loses connection for me.  I do occasionally have to "reconnect" the stereo to the phone (on the phone's bluetooth settings....its paired, but not connected) after I turn the car off then on, like making a stop at the gas station, which is mildly annoying, but I have a shortcut set up now to get it in two taps.

I've actually found that this phone does a better job connecting to bluetooth than any other phone I've owned.  Might be a hardware issue in your phone and might be worth a trip back to Sprint with it to see.

Mine downloads my phonebook as well, but the Kenwood software has a limitation of like 1000 contacts and my phone has far more than 1000 in there (not because I'm that popular, but because gmail syncs all my email addresses and phone numbers, etc. including work ones, so it adds up quickly) - SO my phonebook doesn't work on the stereo itself as it should, isn't a big deal for me.  I imagine you might have a similar issue since your previous phone wasn't an Android phone, right?  Not familiar with the Brute. Unless your motorola was an Android device as well, then who knows....but my Evo 4G had this same issue.

Sprint Employee

Hello BrotherA, does your stereo use PBAP, or another protocol to transfer contacts? can you disable select functions for troubleshooting?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thanks for the replies. Of course the Epic 4G isn't on the JVC compatibility list (at

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/bluetooth/2009.html )... But it does mention PBAP and OPP as options.

I'm much more concerned with the cutting in and out though. For example, just now I went out and listened to a 7 minute song via Bluetooth audio. That worked fine. No drops at all, just sitting there. But driving home today (15 minute drive, almost all Interstate, right along a strong signal corridor), Bluetooth disconnected / reconnected at least 6 separate times with the head unit. I'm wondering if there's something in the phone that is causing this. Probably not much I can do about it. Other than talk to the people at the Sprint store I guess.

In the head unit, I don't have many options for troubleshooting. I can disable phone, or audio, or both, but that's about it. I've tried disabling audio (I don't use it, as the USB stick in my car has the same music as my phone), it didn't help.

I should probably just head back to the sprint store, I really want this to work right.

Sprint Employee

Hello BrotherA, the site not listing your phone indicates they had either not tested your phone, or they tested & the phone did not work well, they tend not to say which case it is. I was hoping your car stereo would allow you to disable use of all Profiles apart from HFP. this may help narrow down possible causes, also checking your debug log could reveal detail. Does it only do it when you are on on the Interstate, or anywhere? if only on the Interstate then it could be interference because there is only a certain spectrum available for bluetooth, if all channels were occupied by other cars/drivers in the vicinity then yours may have disconnected, if it happens everywhere and can easily be duplicated I would say have the phone checked at the store (infact if you duplicate the problem just before going in they may be able to see the cause in the debug log of the phone).

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply. It's not just the interstate, it was on the backroads (well away from the interstate) as well.

This morning I tried disabling 3G (4G was already disabled, as I don't get 4G in the building where I work, nor at home - and WiFi was disabled also). Only had one bluetooth drop. It did not drop out where it's dropped the previous 2 mornings. I'm going to try it again on the way home today and see what happens. If it drops out again, I'm going to try a new phone.

Journeyman

OK, another update.

This afternoon, I disabled 3G & 4G, as well as killed off Kies Air and the Voice Command (Vlingo) stuff.

Not one drop the whole way home. I turned 3G back on about a mile from the house, and the phone didn't drop out. I'm going to try the drive tomorrow with 3G on, but those other 2 apps (which I don't use) turned off. I'd be able to live just fine without those apps.

Journeyman

One last post for the archives. I turned on 3G yesterday afternoon for the drive home, the phone dropped out several times along the way.

Disabled 3G this morning for the drive in, Bluetooth worked fine.

So, I think there's my answer, unfortunately. Maybe an update will fix this in the future... but I doubt it.

Sprint Employee

Hello again BrotherA, I wanted to be certain that you see the bluetooth connected Icon turn into the bluetooth on Icon either on the car stereo's display, or on phone. I am also not sure if 3g being on is truly affecting the bluetooth, or if it is purely coincidental. The best offer I could suggest would be to delete the pairing from the car, backup your data for the phone, then complete a factory reset, at which point i would pair the two again, and test this before reloading your gmail account, if the problem occurs again, then take the phone into a service center to have the technician test the phone, the phone's debug log may reveal a reason for this to happen.

Sprint Employee

Hello mmark27_, I forgot to mention to you, and this may help with the number of contacts displayed. your Gmail contact list may be grouped into categories, such as business, personal, Etc., you may add additional categories, I have a category for friends, one for family, and other contacts I leave uncategorized, from phone go to contacts, press menu > display options. and under the gmail account, I unchecked all categories apart from friends, and family, then click done, this allows me to avoid seeing a contact for each email address I sent a message to which does not have a contact.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat