cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken USB Host Feature - Is it possible to have a definite answer about it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yesterday I decided for an Epic adventure, calling Sprint Tech support to investigate why the USB Host (aka USB OTG) feature is not working.

If you are not aware your SGS2 is able to do this, or you don t even have an idea what i am talking about, be happy reading here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

All of my friends in Europe using the SGS2 are enjoying this very useful feature. Most Importantly Samsung is selling the SG2 Epic 4g Touch as working on this specific feature, but is not true.

Please look here at the USB Host specs on our phone:

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/tips--tricks-epic-4g-touch

The most interesting thing is that Samsung is selling a Branded USB Host cable for about 20 bucks, but it will not work on Sprint phone!

So, the great thing is, I called Sprint and I spent 58 minutes on a call, being transfered to 5 different operators. The talk time globally was less than 10 minutes and the waiting on line with horrible music was the other 48 minutes!!!!

All of this just to see that not even one person i spoke with, had an idea about wHat I was talking about.

A continuous mumbling and "please hold"... But most importantly they have no idea about this feature. They said cannot even find it on the device manual.

They refused to go online and see at the Official Smasung website about the device SPRINT sells, not even to aknowledge my point. The last lady told me " I don t want to argue with you".. and i was not arguing, I was asking a question... maybe I was a bit frustrated because of the fact "Tech" ppl don t know jack of their products.. but i was not arguing..

After my 58 minutes the Sprint solution was to call Samsung and complain with them.....   Amazing....

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: Broken USB Host Feature - Is it possible to have a definite answer about it?

Sorry for the confusion on this device.   I visited the Samsung site  the cable which allows this connection is not one of the offered accessories for the sprint device.  This is not a device that we sell for the phone.  As this is not an accessory the we have for the device  We do not provide support for it.  I do not know if this is a feature that is active on the sprint device  or not  as it is we have not been informed about it .   At this point support for this product would have to come from the manufacture

For those who don't know what usb otg or usb host is.   It is a process where by a flash drive keyboard  mouse or some other devices can be plugged into the phne and be controlled by it .

Wizard

Of all the people I know in all the companies I work with I've never had anyone request or discuss having such a feature on any phone.  Additionally, I'm fairly certain the average phone buyer (who will never even look at an online forum) has no idea such a feature exists and wouldn't have a use for it.  Where in Sprint's documentation does it say their version of this phone will have such a feature? 

If such a reference exists then perhaps you can have a reasonable expectation the Sprint representatives should be aware of it's possible lack of functionality. 

Cheers,

Wizard

yes, I'm pretty disappointed by this as well.  I would sure like to connect flash drives from other people to my phone and then email attachments OR upload to my cloud storage (docs, Box, etc.) on the fly - something that would be very useful to my work.  This was a feature I was looking forward to and when I bought it my Sprint rep told me they were going to add it soon.  However, I never believe what reps tell me, as I usually know more about the phone then they do, so I was hopeful that they'd bring support for it to our phones, but not counting on it.  It just too bad they've kept features like this out.

Journeyman

Thank you, at least this is an honest answer, quite straight to the point and does not requires 58 minutes of blabbing...

However Knight, I would suggest someone at Sprint to get in touch with Samsung and possibly modify that wesite. Samsung is "selling" a feature on a Sprint phone.

Besides who is responsible to trouble shoot the issue, I am not pointing fingers, it would make way more sense simply removing the feature as supported.

Thank you.

Master

Samsung refers to a couple of the phones as with the same name,  When you look up the Sprints model sph d710  it  is not shown as one of the available accessories for the device.  On the page you gave the link to it show Samsung galaxy SII 4g as being a phone that has the it   but does not give any model numbers.   Samsung would be the ones to support this feature of the device if available.   We do not show this feature as support on the device.  I have upstreamed the information from the Samsung site  because of the possibility of confusion .

Journeyman

Hi Panzer,

besides the fact you or many other ppl you know is not aware about this useful feature (that s why I provided the Wiki address), fact is the feature is "sold" for working on an Official Samsung page, presenting tips and tricks for this specific phone, provided by Sprint. Not a generic unlocked version, this specific version.

To answer to your point: "If such a reference exists then perhaps you can have a reasonable expectation the Sprint representatives should be aware of it's possible lack of functionality", the reference is there on that site, sold as a Sprint product's feature.

This feature is an hardware feature, it is comparable to the BT feature or the WiFi one. it is just supposed to be there, and is not. My first point of contact is Sprint, don t you think? Isn t Sprint the first phone number you would call if someone on your phone is not working?

This is what I did, plain and simple. I was expecting more professionalism from ppl paid to be Tech. I am not expecting to speak with "average joe" when I call tech support.

Wizard

I understand some folks wanting this feature and further see the confusion Samsung has created by showing this as an option on the Sprint version of the phone, however, if you click on the neccesary accessory it only works with the AT&T and T-Mobile versions of the phone.  Additionally, I do not see any reference to this feature on Sprint's website or the the documentation.  If the carrier doesn't list support, I don't expect it regardless of any confusing information provided by the OEM and I don't post a query referencing a broken feature that is not listed as a supported feature by the carrier in question. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Hi Knight,

Thank you again for your quick support on this matter.

Actually, when you open that page i linked on my first post, the page title is Tips and Tricks: Epic 4G Touch then on the right end side, there is a smaller part saying: Shop for Epic 4g Touch and reports the model # SPH D710

With that set of information, anyone in good faith would read that page assuming we are talking about the Sprint phone. However, i think i got my answer. the feature is not supported.

At least i am not buying that 20 bucks adapter from Samsung and wasting time and money thank you

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat