cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy the 4G Touch now, or wait for price to come down?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Buy the 4G Touch now, or wait for price to come down?

I'm in the market for a new phone and the Galaxy S2 looks like what I want. I noticed that the Galaxy S3 will be coming soon, but it doesn't seem like enough of a difference from the S2 for me to want to pay the extra money for it (assuming that it will be about $300 at launch, after discount). I'm not a gamer, just a business user. A new EVO is coming too, but they will have hoverboards before Sprint has 4G/LTE in Tucson AZ so the main appeal of that is lost on me.

So the question is, should I buy the S2 now or wait until the S3 lauches to see if the S2 is discounted some more? Is there any chance that Sprint will insta-drop the S2 when the S3 launches?

And of course feel free to persuade me to buy something else if you really need to. 😉

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Wizard

With all the problems some people are having with the S2 I'd think you'd wait.  at our company two thirds of the people with S2s have already sold them on e-bay and gone with used HTC gear.  From, poor signal to non-functioning GPS and random app execution this phone has it's share of issues. If you can wait until this fall there will be more LTE available and a bevy of new phones to choose from. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am going to say "wait".

We all know that Sprint is now focusing on selling LTE phones. Pretty soon all the WiMax phones will hit the bargain bin.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They have been lower in price all along at some resellers all year, you just have to check online sellers, Sam's Club, Cosco, Target, have been places where you could have gotten the Epic 4 Touch in the last 5 months for as little as $49, usually $98, depending on the sale, Even Amazon had them for 1 cent if you were a new subscriber, Need to learn to shop around, Sprint.com is always the highest price.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on SERO so I pretty much have to buy through Sprint. No big deal since I save more on the plan in just a few months than any Amazon/Costco/etc discount would add up to.

As far as S2 problems go, I figure that most of them are user error or at least fixable issues. Even if I get one that bombs I have 30 days to return it, so no harm no foul.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did have WiFi & data issues with my Epic Touch.  Sprint realized I had a lemon phone and they sent me a replacement at no charge.  I haven't had any problems at all with my new one!  I'd say buy the S2.  If you end up not liking it, trade with someone on Craigslist or sell it on Ebay and buy a different phone!

Highlighted
Wizard

Just sent the lemon we had back to Samsung.  Should be back by Tuesday.  Hopefully we'll be as lucky as you and receive a perfect replacement. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Wizard

Do not buy this phone.  Buy the HTC Evo 4G LTE (if it ever passes customs).  The 4G Touch is a great phone and ICS will fix the GPS issues....HOWEVER, the Epic Touch can NOT get LTE so there's no future in it.  Don't do it man, don't do it.

Remember, buying an older phone because its cheaper is not a smart move.  The cost of the plan over a year is far larger than the cost of the phone.  Buy the best phone available at the time with the latest technology, that allows you to take advantage of all the data, texting that you're paying a premium for.  That's the only way that you can guarantee to stay ahead of the game for a couple months.

Highlighted
Journeyman

While I agree with you in principle about the HTC EVO, the fact is that we will NEVER have LTE in Tucson. It's a small market and Sprint doesn't even know we exist here. So to me the "latest technology" includes being able to change the phone's battery, a trick the EVO LTE cannot do. I'm not ruling it out yet though (will be checking it out this weekend), just saying that its #1 party trick LTE is worthless to me.

Highlighted
Wizard

wingland wrote:

(http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/422561?tstart=0#422561)

LTE should cover nearly all the areas that have 3G EVDO coverage now.  It's being built out on the same towers that supply 3G service.  We won't know until closer to deploy if there's specific areas that will not get LTE, but it's a fair bet that if you have 3G now, you'll get LTE.

And Panzer06 is correct - we're offering the new tri-band 3G, WiMax andd 4G LTE hotspot starting this month.  Great product, pretty well future proof.  I'm planning to grab one for myself.

So since LTE is not a separate tower but being built out on the existing towers you might just get 4G LTE in your lifetime. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS surely fixes GPS and other connectivity issues.  So clearly it is a software problem.  For those who are not faint of heart, a custom AOSP ROM is always a must

Highlighted
Journeyman

The EVDO/LTE connection is interesting and makes me a little more optimistic, but I'll believe it when I see it. They promissed us WiMax 4G way back in 2009 and that didn't happen.

Regardless, the more I examine the specs of the EVO and SG3 the more I think I want one of those anyway. 🙂 Thanks.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat