cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on Sprint, DO IT! (flips the ICS switch)

Highlighted
Wizard

Come on Sprint, DO IT! (flips the ICS switch)

We know you have it so.......

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Come on Sprint, DO IT! (flips the ICS switch)

+1!  Sprint accepted the OTA from Samsung over the Memorial Day weekend, at least according to anonymous sources within Samsung... the eMMC bug was fixed, the known major issues addressed.  Those helping to make this build the best it could did so partly in hopes of being the first US carrier to get this rolled out to the Galaxy S II line; now it looks like Sprint will be handing that to T-Mobile unless they announce in the next week.  The "bright moment for both Sprint and Samsung" (for working with its device owners and users to make a very solid build) that this would have been appears to be dimming quickly.

If Sprint cannot confirm when the OTA will be released perhaps can you confirm another item?  I have heard from my MVNO's sales that there seems to be a significant concern of Android app compatibility with ICS and that this may be the main factor for delaying the release.  Please consider "throwing us a bone" and letting us know anything about where this stands - many of us will be happy to help do anything we can to get the green light for OTA!

Highlighted
Wizard

garwynn wrote:

+1!  Sprint accepted the OTA from Samsung over the Memorial Day weekend, at least according to anonymous sources within Samsung... the eMMC bug was fixed, the known major issues addressed.  Those helping to make this build the best it could did so partly in hopes of being the first US carrier to get this rolled out to the Galaxy S II line; now it looks like Sprint will be handing that to T-Mobile unless they announce in the next week.  The "bright moment for both Sprint and Samsung" (for working with its device owners and users to make a very solid build) that this would have been appears to be dimming quickly.

If Sprint cannot confirm when the OTA will be released perhaps can you confirm another item?  I have heard from my MVNO's sales that there seems to be a significant concern of Android app compatibility with ICS and that this may be the main factor for delaying the release.  Please consider "throwing us a bone" and letting us know anything about where this stands - many of us will be happy to help do anything we can to get the green light for OTA!

Wow! Are you "in the know" or what?

Yes, check with your "MVNO's sales" to figure out the obvious.

You say you need confirmation?

Confirmation of what?

Do you actually think Sprint sends out OTA updates without testing for potential conflicts?

Anyone who has owned smart-phones for years would tell you about the upgrade from Froyo to Gingerbread.

That was not a smooth transaction unless you are OK with many of your most favorite apps no longer working.

Just be grateful that when you do get your upgrade it will work.

What does Sprint care?

It's not like you are going anywhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a whiner.  Know they're out and about but think you might be wrong on your post.

When people inside Samsung are being told that Sprint was expected to release this week and didn't - yeah, that surprises some.

So yes, there are a lot of people curious as to what's going on in Sprint and this particular release.

I'm curious MM, did you put any effort to try and even look at the leaks?  Test them?  Report bugs or offer advice on how to improve them?

Or if you found a serious issue that would have potentially bricked the device - such as the eMMC lockup bug - did you say something?

I'm not asking them to rush the release - but the word about is that the build was accepted and already thoroughly tested by all parties.

(And yes, I was around on the Zio for the FroYo->GB release as well as facing the notorious ZVH upgrade for the Optimus S.)

If that is not the case then I just hope they clear it up.

If you're all about people just shutting up and putting up then you should be happy to hear that kind of community relations information.

That's good customer service, plain and simple.  You don't do it, you lose customers - there ARE other places to go after all.

Feel free to PM me if you want to have another go - no need to start flaming on public threads.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so dedicated to the device.

I have viewed numerous pages on these Sprint Forums complaining/commenting on not getting ICS updates.

It's great to read T-Mobile will be getting a ICS update on 6/11 (according to what I was able to gain by searching).

My Evo 3D was promised an ICS update but I am not posting about it even though I know the OTA update is in Sprint's hands.

The reason why I don't say anything is because it doesn't do any good.

The phone was already sold 1 year ago with a 2 year contract.

Sprint knows I'm not going anywhere as I'm still under contract.

I am serious when I say this:

What were you expecting out of Sprint?

Sprint, the home of "all the unlimited data you are willing to wait for" has let you down again?

Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

After all, Sprint will look you in the eye, sell you a 4G LTE phone, and tell you 4G LTE service may be in your city by the end of 2013.

We will be stupid enough to buy the device, thus breaking the fool me once rule,

as this already happened with the Evo 4G in 2010.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This may sound funny but the MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator - think Boost or Cricket but there are others) I use just got the E4GT in March - and I doubt we'll see the GS3 until next summer.  Before this the best option that we had was the two devices I mentioned - the Zio and Optimus S, both which we didn't see until summer last year either.  Tech support is also very limited as it is a very small service, so if I have any problems I've had to rely on the outside forums for help.

From my perspective I just hope that Sprint does it right and can do it first.  If one must be sacrificed in order for the other, then by all means sacrifice time for quality.

And I might disagree with you slightly on the service expectations.  As an MVNO subscriber I get zero direct support from Sprint - mainly because they can't find the account information.  But many of the guys and gals on the CSR "front lines" have done what they can even knowing that I'm not supposed to get support.  In all fairness it is because those issues affected Sprint customers as well, but I'm just glad they didn't always say "Call your MVNO" and then hang up.

So with all that in mind, can't hurt to politely ask them... even if we don't get but silence in return.  Like you said, it's all about expecations.

Highlighted
Wizard

I mainly just love these Arnold compilations, I am in no way complaining about ICS.  I could really care less about ICS since I (and many others) already have functioning versions of it.  I just want to get rid of this lousy data roaming notification bug and since they plugged root (and haven't leaked anymore ROMs) I'd like to see ICS released officially.  Then Source code, then root, then other ROMs.

Then this Sprint forum can build up with flaming rants about how THEY CAN'T SCROLL WALLPAPERS! BOO HOO!

Highlighted
Journeyman

There's a new leak FF02 but still have some bugs like the one you mention, the taskmanager bug, the notification light bug, the bookmarks bug, the emmc brick bug, the super turbo scrolling uggh, I can keep going.. also Root not plugged yet. LOL I hope that they fix all those annoying bugs.

Highlighted
Wizard

yes, just saw FF02 made its way into sfhub's hands last night.  I flashed it this morning and haven't run into a single bug of my normal operations -> data roaming notification bug does not seem to be present any more.  I did have 3G not connect 2 times after leaving my WiFi range, but haven't seen it in a couple hours, so maybe that was just a blip.

I'd guess this is probably it for final.  The scrolling thing has been discussed ad naseum on XDA, but I like the scrolling.  It takes a second to get to the end of a HUGE list quickly.  If you just slow your flick down a little, it doesn't go as far.  I know its a feature and not a bug since most ICS devices have this now (ie my touchpad with 4.0.4 and my coworkers GNex with 4.0.4).

EMMC brick isn't going to be an issue for me or many people that stick with native ROMs (and read directions carefully), not sure what the bookmarks bug is -> mine work fine. and the notification light bug does still seem to be present, but this was the first phone that I have had that actually blinked when plugged in when a notification came in, so I'm okay with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well it looks like ppl wont have to wait next summer for the GS3 it comes out June 21st!

Highlighted
Wizard

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/432680#432680

According to the user in this thread post#4 her replacement ET4G came with ICS.  That must mean something, right?

Cheers,

Highlighted
Master

Well in that the customer   did not give a software version my guess is that they are mistaken.  I do not show software update released after 1/29.  So at this point I do not know   as the customer in the above post got their phone in Feb of this year there is good chances that it had older software on it   say from September or December depending on when the phone was made.   We do not go in to the   boxes and update them.   The replacement would have the latest software on it 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat