cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems with phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Connection problems with phone

Just did the sprint recommended updates two days ago, firmware, profil, prl, android.  Since then I have been having problems with my phone. Sporadic 3g service sometimes full bars sometimes no bars, and i do have a airwave to boost signal which was great as i had full bars before this problem started. Also having connection problem when I try to get online, battery having a full charge but never indicating so. Phone saying 4g is turned on when it isn't resulting in a high power drain configuration message and my battery draining quickly. 

Took phone to sprint store yesterday they did same updates I did and said there were also some roaming settings that were set up worng. Phone seemed fine till i got home then same issues.  My roomate has a htc evo 3d and we both use sprint network that phone experiencing no problems, so im thinking the problem is with my phone not the coverage here at home.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I'm on my way back to the sprint store to see if they can pinpoint the problem today better than they did yesterday. Frustrating!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Master

I am sorry this is happening to you.  The most current official software available is EL29.  You can verify this if you go to home/menu/settings/about phone/ and scroll down to the bottom. It should say EL 29 for baseband (which is the modem), Kernel (which controls charging and other core functions), and Build number (which is the actual software). If it is already EL29 then it can't be updated again because it is already current. 

Unfortunately sometimes if you update software you have to completely hard reset the device to get it to work properly again. You can do this at home/menu/settings/privacy/factory data reset

There is no need to lose your personal information however.  You can back up your text messages to your SD card if you go to the Market and install SMS Backup & Restore) (This is not a Sprint application so we can't officially support it but I use it all the time and works great) Once the update is finished you can redownload the application and then restore all your messages back to your phone.  Also your pictures and other media are on the internal storage or your personal SD card. 

Lastly, you might try unplugging and replugging your Airave.  That can fix the issue you seem to have when in Airave coverage.  After a few minutes when the Airave is back up, see if your service is working right again.

I hope this information helps!

Thank you

-John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info. I did unplug the airwave yesterday didn't seem to help. Just went to the sprint store a few minutes ago the tech did donne more updates and said problem should be fixed. I asked girl at store why phone still sayyid I had high barry drain due to roaming and 4g saying it was turned on when it isn't she asked if I wanted to talk to the tech she went back to get him shew came out n said they would order me a new phone. Sounds like they knew there was real problem with it beyond a update fix. Oh well hope next phone fares better than this one. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So picked up my new samsung epic 4g last weekend. Everything was working fine in the sprint store. But once again as soon as i get home the phone begins roaming no data connection etc. same problems as before. I am assuming it must have been something in that last update that made the phone unuseable at home, since my roomate has a htc evo 3d and still has no connectivity problems at home. I called sprint again and they said my only recourse is to bring the phone to a sprint store again.

Not sure how they will resolve this problem, but I can not even set up my email, or do anything else on this phone from home, so it has become a useless paperweight. Too bad because I really loved this phone before it stopped working.

The other thing I find funny is that if you google this problem with this phone, it seems to be a pretty common problem. Yet when you go to the sprint store they seem unaware of any other people experiencing such problems, or just unwilling to admit it.

Master

If you go to home/menu/settings/wireless & networks/roaming/roaming settings/domestic - make sure that data and voice are checked.  If data is not checked, you wont have data service while your phone is roaming.  Also, just try to update PRL. (home/menu/settings/about phone/system updates/update prl) That can definitely affect your service while you are roaming.

I hope this helps.

thanks

-John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes the data and voice are checked in the roaming options but i still dont have a data connection whether roaming or not and i did updates for prl but still having the same problem no connection/roaming most of the time.

Highlighted
Wizard

Are these problems limited to your home or all the time, everywhere ?

Cheers,

Highlighted
Wizard

2315OEUE,

Are you still experiencing the issues you posted with your device?

Markie_B

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic line is a bunch of lemons. Switch brands while you still have your sanity. I switched to a Motoral Photon 4G, and I have friends with HTC phones that also seem to work fine. Everyone I know with the Epic is hating life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have nothing but connections problems, techs at the store and over the phone give the same old bs,I have heard so many excuses for the problem, it got to th point where it is almost an insult tfor them to think I am that stupid after a dozen times complaning,  they could write a book ! and of course you cant get your money back or switch to a different phone unless you want to pay again. What has ever happened to good customer service, i've been a customer since 1999 and it seems Sprint would rather loose a long time customer than keep them. this Epic is such a lemon. Time to go to another carrier and time to start posting complaints rip off boards instead of Sprints community blog, probably time to complain to the BBB too. My advise to anyone thinking of buying the Samsung Epic....dont and do not believe the store reps that this is their best phone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Couldn't agree more with you..Samsung has a horrible history of poor signal in their products and could care less to fix them.  On the phone with tech support as we speak trying to get them to send me another phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat