cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did ICS break the "autofit" text feature in the browser?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Did ICS break the "autofit" text feature in the browser?

Before my phone was upgraded to ICS, the "autofit" text feature works rather well in the browser.  I can no longer resize screen and text automatically fit to the width of the window like in previous version.  Does anyone know ho0w to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

HB

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Did ICS break the "autofit" text feature in the browser?

I think it did, none of my pages scale when I pinch/zoom.   It's annoying more than the battery life

Journeyman

same here. pinch zoom/autofit fails in the stock browser, Firefox and the new Chrome.. arrgghhhhhhhhh....

The combo of the autofit problem and the sucky battery life (this thing gets HOT in my hand now!!) might finally get me to root and go back to 29...

oh well... Thanks a lot Samsung! You made a great phone bad... Now that takes work!

Journeyman

Next time you visit a page take a look in the address bar and see if there is a green R icon listed to the right end of the URL.  Supposedly you can touch that and it will convert the page into a better e-reader format.

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

I have the same problem. The autofit feature was great as I am slightly visually impaired. Some sites do not have the R (reader) version/option on their sites. Before when reading a news article I could easily just zoom into the page and the text would be reformatted to autofit the page. Now it bleeds beyond the edge and I have to scroll left, right, up and down several times. Good thing I don't have motion sickness and vertigo! What were they thinking taking this feature off?

Journeyman

This seems to be a Sprint thing. Couple of my friends have the Samsung Galaxy s2 on AT&T. The three of us had the same phone and versions of Android (before the ICS update). The two AT&T did not have the autofit feature. My Sprint had it. After the recent Sprint OTA ICS update the autofit feature was gone. We now all do not have autofit. Genius. Epic fail.

Journeyman

I have not experienced this issue. Have you tried double tapping to zoom?

Have you tried Opera Mobile from the Play Store - I use that browser and have no problem with the text/reformatting

mrcminnesota wrote:

Have you tried Opera Mobile from the Play Store - I use that browser and have no problem with the text/reformatting

I just tried Opera browser and it works.  Thanks.  Guess which browser I am going to use now?

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

Mitchell1331 wrote:

I have not experienced this issue. Have you tried double tapping to zoom?

Mitchell1331, thanks. double tap does not help when the text is still small.  Can you pinch and zoom?  The tip from mrcminnesota above using the Opera browser is best work around for me at the moment. thanks again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes I can pinch and Zoom.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat