Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Epic 4G Touch have Carrier IQ in it?

Journeyman

Does the Epic 4G Touch have Carrier IQ in it?

Can Sprint say if the Epic 4G Touch has Carrier IQ software running on this phone?

If it does can we turn it off and how?

here are some links about it.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222371/Inside_Carrier_IQ_gate

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57335220-245/what-does-carrier-iq-do-on-my-phone-and-should-i-care...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-03/at-t-sprint-mobile-phone-users-sue-over-carrier-iq-tracking...

Also why is it that Verzion does not use it, also Apple does not have it on the IPhone.

As Bloomberg has reported some Sprint users have sued over this.

Can i return my phone if it has the software on it?

Please get back on this one Sprint, i think that you have alot of unhappy people on your hands.

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Do I trust a corporation?  Blindly? No. Until I have some evidence to suggest that I shouldn't?  Sure.

Journeyman

CPNI: As we provide telecommunications products and Services to you (the account holder), we develop information about the quantity, technical configuration, type, location, and destination of telecommunications products and Services you use, as well as some other information found on your bill ("CPNI"). Under federal law, you have the right and we have a duty to protect the confidentiality of your CPNI. For example, we implement safeguards that are designed to protect your CPNI, including authentication procedures when you contact us. For some accounts with a dedicated Sprint representative, we may rely on contacting your pre-established point of contact as the standard authentication measure.

Here is a link to the TOS if anyone wants to read it (provided by a request by email from a Sprint rep, thanks again):

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml?ECID=vanity:termsandconditions

Of course, this is an ongoing story, and Jalan you are correct. We have no concrete proof that Carrier IQ upsets the CPNI line at this time. Its all allegations. However, if this software can be used in any way other than as it is lined out in the TOS, I think Sprint has an obligation to do something to correct it.

Journeyman

I don't see anything in the terms of service that requires a keylogger. or access to my messages. or access to messages sent to me by people who send confidential information, particularly my business clients.

Journeyman

Indeed, and if the allegations are true, I will be first in line expecting Sprint to do something about it.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Here is the problem with attempting to remove CIQ from the E4GT.  The problem is it's embeded into the framework iirc the only real way to remove it is by rooting your phone and installing a new rom that already has it removed.

Journeyman

Knowledge is what has changed.  A few months ago I was "hacked" but couldn't figure out how it happened. I use ebay and paypal very very infrequently, maybe once or twice a year. But I made a purchase on my phone and used paypal, logging in on my Samsung phone (as my computer had a dead hdd and I was too lazy to get the new one installed). Anyway, I made the transaction, and in a week received my package. All was well, got my PC fixed up and reloaded, and then less than one week later I got an email from paypal saying my account was frozen due to suspicious activity. I called paypal to inquire what was going on, thinking it was a scam..  But someone had logged into my ebay account, and used my paypal account to buy 4 "blackberry phones" (eck..) and sent them to an unregistered and uncomfirmed address in Florida (from New York I believe was the origin).  The only transaction I made in the previous year was on my phone, and yet, shortly after I made the purchase on ebay, someone guesses my complex password for both ebay and paypal. They are both diffferent, both over 9 chars, and contain caps and numerics. The don't spell anything.  No, somoene, somehow got that information off my phone, and I don't save passwords, nor do I let anyone use my phone and it has a security lock. It never leaves my hand or my pocket. The only reason paypal gave me my refund was because the weight of the packages sent was something strange, like a few ounces so they knew there were no phones sent, and of course, the uncomfirmed address/recipient. While I certainly can't blame Carrier IQ, the fact that my HTTPS encrypted username and password were captured on the phone, may have allowed another "more malicious app" to capture those log files.. We don't know. No one knows.  Is this maybe how the whole EUROPEAN phone hacking scandal took place? Do we think America is the only place that uses this technology? I think not. Let's allow the press and media to blow this skyhigh and see where it falls in the next few days.  I can't be the first person suspicious that phone hacking hasn't been going on for some time.

Journeyman

Couldn't agree more. We definatley need light shined on this situation, not people telling us that theres no use discussing it because we agree to it in the TOS, or people immediatley ostracizing the company before all the facts come in. My opinion is that there is enough blame to go around. Carrier IQ, the carriers who carry it, and the handset manufacturers all have claimed that this program is for benign purposes, and yet somehow, it is recording things that are far beyond benign. CIQ claims that the logging that was shown is on HTC, so lets see how this all shakes out. Sprint is kind of caught in a tough situation, because if this program does allow for operation outside of its intended purposes, they will have to do something. Understanding that this program can likely not simply be removed, they are going to have to make some tough choices about customers who already have this on their phones.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat