cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Epic 4G Touch have Carrier IQ in it?

Journeyman

Can Sprint say if the Epic 4G Touch has Carrier IQ software running on this phone?

If it does can we turn it off and how?

here are some links about it.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222371/Inside_Carrier_IQ_gate

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57335220-245/what-does-carrier-iq-do-on-my-phone-and-should-i-care...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-03/at-t-sprint-mobile-phone-users-sue-over-carrier-iq-tracking...

Also why is it that Verzion does not use it, also Apple does not have it on the IPhone.

As Bloomberg has reported some Sprint users have sued over this.

Can i return my phone if it has the software on it?

Please get back on this one Sprint, i think that you have alot of unhappy people on your hands.

21 REPLIES
Master

There is an application in the Android Market called "Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector" and by using that I did determine that it does have the service.  Honestly, I can't answer any of your other questions because I don't know the answer.

-John

Journeyman

How have you been harmed if it is on your phone?

Journeyman

It's not so much what Sprint uses it for. Its what it could be misused for. Everything I have read says it gives root access at such a basic level that it can be manipulated to view keystrokes, pictures, basically anything you do with your phone can be obtained if this particular program was to be accessed. I actually beleive what Sprint says they use it for, but it is a gaping security hole that can be exploited by other entities.

Journeyman

Is there a way to remove this from our phones?

Journeyman

Yes, the Epic 4G Touch has Carrier IQ on it.  There is an app in the Market called Carrier IQ Detector.  It was created by the makers of Lookout Security and instantly searches your phone for Carrier IQ.  My Epic 4G Touch has Carrier IQ.  I think Sprint needs to immediately send out an update to remove this spyware from our phones.  Ridiculous we can't remove it ourselves or at the very least turn it off!

Journeyman

I just downloaded the Carrier IQ detector app and it is not on the Motorola Photon 4G

Journeyman

Sprint has said there is no way to remove it from the phones. I am not terribly knowledgable on these things, but one of the solutions I have heard is rooting the phone, and installing a custom OS from a developer who does not use CIQ. However, this is in violation of your phones warranty at the very least. For myself, I am hoping that Sprint will find a way to fix it, as I don't want to do something disagreeable to them, in hopes that they will fix something that is perceived as being disagreeable to us.

Journeyman

Seems a little strange to go through all this work to remove something that performs a feature that is disclosed in the TOS to being with.  The only thing new that we know today is the name of the app.  What has changed between last month and this month with your phones?

Journeyman

This is actually a good point. If Carrier IQ is completely up to snuff with what I agreed to in the TOS, I have no complaint. Do you have a link to follow to the typical TOS? I have looked and been unable to find it ><. I am requesting a copy which I will pay close attention to this time.