cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade Samsung Epic 4g Touch to Gingerbread

Highlighted
Journeyman

Downgrade Samsung Epic 4g Touch to Gingerbread

Is there a way that sprint can downgrade my phone back to gingerbread? Ice cream sandwhich is bad so I want to go back.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow I just tried a manual update (yes I was scared but tried anyway) & everything is good. Still trying things out but if I find anything that isn't right or a fix to any of the problems mentioned I'll share.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I find it irresponsible and broderline criminal that the ICS update completely screwed up my work email.  I have the dreaded connection error for ActiveSync.  How Samsung, Sprint and Google can release such a GIGANTIC flaw in their software is beyond me. I am going to Sprint today to go back to Gingerbread. If that is not possible, I am switching to Apple, much to my dismay...  

Highlighted
Journeyman

This has been absurd, but I think I found a solution.

I went to my local repair center twice but they were not able to help me and said they do not have Gingerbread. I wasted 2 trips each 1 hour oon the first, and almost 3 on the second but I came away empty handed.

Contrary to all the "software techs" on here who bloviate about "personal responsibility, a.k.a. "let the buyer beware" this has been an entirely amature rollout and with no ability to rollback the  update, it has been laughable.

Here is what I found.

1.) the update wiped out my MSID and Phone Number. Adding these back changed my issues with SMS resending 20-30 times, and the phone going off line.

2.) I backed up everything using Kies. Doublechecked that I had everything, removed my External SD

3.) I then reformatted the internal SD. Yes, I reformatted it. This is found in Storage.

It made all the difference for me.

This fixed a number of issues and I recommend it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Folks,

You can download the GB stock from XDA developers. 

I've been asked not to link to builds from there but just google XDA EL29 Epic 4G Touch and I'm sure you'll find it.

Please also note that you'll need the full package, which is similar to doing a factory reset, as ICS data is not backwards compatible.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat