cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC TOUCH 4G Ice Cream Sandwich Update YOU NEED TO KNOW

Highlighted
Journeyman

EPIC TOUCH 4G Ice Cream Sandwich Update YOU NEED TO KNOW

Hey all!  Just gots my ice cream!  In all the update went well.  It was kinda weird though.  Yesterday morning, my 3G was pegged for about an hour (estimated).  Then all of a sudden, a popup appeared on screen saying there was an update ready to install. 

NOW....here are some things everyone with a Epic touch 4G needs to know when doing this update!

FIRST.....go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/190358-noobs-el29-ff18-user-guide....

Go there and follow his instructions to the letter!  The biggest thing that needs to be done after the update is to do a factory reset!  I doubted it , but from what I was reading, the update leaves teh system sluggish (among other thigs). After I did the update, it was VERY sluggish.  Not wasting ANY time, I did a factory reset.  After that, it's running smooth and FAST! 

This information needs to be passed along to everyone that is getting this update.  There are ALREADY a LOT of peeved people out there as they DON'T know that this MUST be done.

And YES, doing a factory reset will delete all of your information.  BUT THIS IS NECESSARY as a lot of applications leave pieces of themselves behind after the upgrade that need to be eliminated as that is what is screwing up the upgrade.  It's not difficult to reinstall your apps and info.  I did mine in less than half an hour. 

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: EPIC TOUCH 4G Ice Cream Sandwich Update YOU NEED TO KNOW

Just want to say that you are 100% correct to do a factory reset.  My phone was a mess (very hot, email broken, GPS wouln't stop, horrible battery life) until I gave up and did a factory reset. 

It isn't as bad as it sounds since all your photos are saved in the exact same spot.  If you back up contacts with google, its isn't a big deal either ti get them back.  Google Play remembers all the apps you've paid for and downloaded so the only minor annoyance is reinstalling the apps and setting your home screens.

Just update your phone, do a factory reset, and everything will be fine.  THanks for sharing, PACKHNTR.

Journeyman

NRR66, Glad to hear!  And no, it isn't as scarry as it sounds.  The only thing I recommend differently than the linked instructions is NOT to back up your apps (free ones) as is listed......just install them fresh (play will reinstall the paid ones automatically).  That way you are certain to get clean untainted data.  Sprint really should have told people this stuff....it's peeved off many many customers. 

Journeyman

Did a Factory Reset and I did not reinstall my apps. My battery life still was terrible.

Journeyman

Factory reset doesnt work. Its the ICS build itself that is buggy. I have tried virtually everything and so have countless others....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1777649

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

[SOLVED] (for me anyways)

BATTERY DRAIN ON ICS

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

Journeyman

The factory reset did NOT WORK FOR MY PHONE.  I have done everything, every little tweak and still dead after 5 hours, and that is if you do NOT use it, that is just in standby on wi-fi etc

my advice to anyone considering downloading ICS, DON'T DO IT!  After a couple of days you will want nothing more than to throw your phone out of the nearest window and tell Sprint to revert it back to gingerbread.

I feel like I have been clubbed and then robbed.  Shame on Sprint.

Journeyman

While I think it's great you got things back in order, I personally feel that having to jump through flaming hoops to get something that worked great under another OS to work in a new and improved OS is somewhat backwards.  I have done everything, including a factory reset and my phone works as bad as it did before, perhaps even worse.  Sprint needs to offer those who are having so much trouble the option to go back to gingerbread.  With a phone that offers less than 5 hours to a charge, I can't even call it a moble device anymore.

Journeyman

The update that was pushed out in July was jacked up but now it is ok, as I had just purchased my phone Aug 1 then took the update a few days later and it was a mess so I took back the phone got one with Gb and waited until yesterday and took the Update without factory reset and it runs smooth as butter and my battery life is superb have not had it on the charger for 14 hours and it is only at 52%.

Journeyman

jacksonista wrote:

While I think it's great you got things back in order, I personally feel that having to jump through flaming hoops to get something that worked great under another OS to work in a new and improved OS is somewhat backwards.  I have done everything, including a factory reset and my phone works as bad as it did before, perhaps even worse.  Sprint needs to offer those who are having so much trouble the option to go back to gingerbread.  With a phone that offers less than 5 hours to a charge, I can't even call it a moble device anymore.

I have to carry three batteries now to get through a long day.

Journeyman

virtuousWoman08 wrote:

The update that was pushed out in July was jacked up but now it is ok, as I had just purchased my phone Aug 1 then took the update a few days later and it was a mess so I took back the phone got one with Gb and waited until yesterday and took the Update without factory reset and it runs smooth as butter and my battery life is superb have not had it on the charger for 14 hours and it is only at 52%.

14 Hours?  Count your lucky stars because my E4GT's battery will be at 52% after only an hour or so with minimal to normal use.  I can't get 14 hours with 3 batteries.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat